If you take off a bumper every few days to clean/prevent scratches, does it stretch??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ap3604, Oct 10, 2011.

1. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I'm wondering about the official Apple bumper.

I hear reports of dust/dirt getting in between the bumper and the antenna and causing scratches on the antenna :(

I am good about routinely cleaning my phone to make sure the scratches don't happen, but I know in the past with silicone cases that they would stretch if you took them off and on daily to clean.

Does this happen with the official Apple bumper as well? Does the bumper eventually get loose and stretch from being taken off daily??? I'd rather not spend the $30 on a bumper if it does stretch and I'd probably just go naked instead...

Thanks for your help :)

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Mine is baggy and the rubber is starting to come unstuck from the plastic and I don't even remove it that often because it has already ruined the stainless band. :(

3. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

4. Mr D macrumors 6502

now that is a nice case.

5. J.C macrumors 6502

I regularly submerge it in boiled water for a minute or two which tightens it up again.

6. protobiont macrumors 6502a

Awesome case! Just ordered one!

7. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

Whattt really????

Mine is all stretched out and is starting to fall apart at the top right corner. Maybe I'll try that...!

That other case posted above looks awesome but... $50? ugh!!!

8. WeemanWise macrumors 6502

WeemanWise

Wow i've never heard of that case before. Just ordered one. I love that they include a backplate with it that you can add and remove.

It's going to look pretty sic on my new iPhone :)

9. moel macrumors 6502

oi Stop ordering that case...

I want my iPhone 4S 'Jobs Memorial Edition' to be somewhat unique here in the UK.

10. Mackbook702 macrumors member

Thats what she said.

+1 to the boiling tho, it really works.

11. cperchard macrumors 6502a

yes they are a disgrace.....i've had 3 official bumpers and all have stretched and broke eventually......and my iphone is in immaculate condition apart from the strip around where the bumper sits, and that is completely scratched to hell.

the only good thing is it doesnt make the phone too thick.....and also i have dropped it a couple of times and it has saved me on these occasions.......but it's still frustrating that it has severely marked the silver edge around the phone, and they break so easily.

12. bryanjc macrumors regular

I bought a pack of 5 form ebay, non-oem of course, but they are identical to the genuine ones from Apple, as i got the black bumper following the antenna thing.

cost me like £12, and they are as new as the day i got them, i only put it on when i am going to work, because we have marble floors - already dropped my old iPhone 4:mad::eek:

13. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

freakin' sweet. just ordered a white one.

thanks!

14. cperchard macrumors 6502a

anyone know if you can get this case in the uk??? cant google here at work so any help would be great cheers!

15. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It says on their Facebook page that you have to order direct from the USA as they don't have a UK distributor.

16. cperchard macrumors 6502a

ah ok thanks.....gonna be expensive then with international shipping and probably duty tax too i suppose......guess i'll stick with my band destroying bumper :(

17. moel macrumors 6502

There is currently no UK supplier, so I ordered mine and took the whack on the shipping, will end up costing you $90 or about £50 by the time your finished!

18. Apple addict macrumors member

Yes it scratches the antenna portion of the phone.
    Yes it stretches. My bumper case is also coming apart where the rubber part meets the hard plastic. I did not take it off daily to clean. Took it off every couple of months to clean.

Gary

19. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

NP! I'm stoked for mine. As of yesterday (could have changed by now obviously) they said their shipping times were between 2 and 3 weeks (as opposed to the 3-6 advertised) and that they are "working hard to reduce this time." :D

20. BillHarrison macrumors 6502

Agreed, same situation here. It stretches mainly around the headphone port where its just rubber, there is no plastic here. I also have some MINOR rub marks on the stainless of my iPhone 4. However, it is in way better shape than had I skipped the bumper.

This time around, I am ordering a new bumper, and lining the inside with some thin but soft felt. When initially installed the bumper was very snug. I think the felt should keep the plastic from wearing the stainless.

They are more like "Bright" Spots where the brushed stainless has been "Polished" By rubbing of the bumper though, not really scratches, and in my case all smallish spots, approx. .5 mm or less.

I still think a front and back screen protector plus bumper makes the cleanest phone. Love the natural design, but have to cover it up for protection. Just the way it is!

21. protobiont macrumors 6502a

You ought to send this thread to the company, show them you just sold them 5-6 cases (not to mention the untold numbers who didn't post). Maybe they'll give you a discount!

22. Mr D macrumors 6502

23. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

I just ordered one so I'm trying to figure out if this is sarcasm or not..?

24. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Me too. Mine is stretched and crappy enough that I just might try it :eek:

25. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Black for my black 4S! No lie though, the way the white one looks on a white iPhone ALMOST was the deciding factor to which iPhone I got. I didn't want to lose my place in pre-order line, though. White Leverage on white looks SO sick.