If you think about it...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SamGabbay, Sep 8, 2012.

1. SamGabbay macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

There are so many rumors & leaks about the new hardware but no leaks about the software. Last year, didn't we see references to Siri in iOS 5? I mean the only thing we really saw in ios 6 was the fact that we could stretch the screen to a 16:9 ratio. Don't get me wrong, I am hopeful for the best but if there was going to be a new software feature wouldn't we have seen it in iOS 6?

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I am hoping we will see something new in iOS 6 that won't be available on older iPhones because the hardware wasn't capable. For the iPhone 4 it was FaceTime (3GS obviously didn't have a front facing camera), for 4S it was Siri (something with the Microphone...the iPhone 4 also lagged with typing on MacRumors, so it probably won't survive with Siri).

3. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Are there not lots of new software features in iOS 6?

4. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

Wasn't Siri already on the cydia for the 4 and worked fine?

5. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Can you guess why there is no software leaks but there are hardware leaks? Maybe because software is handled in house and hardware is handled by many vendors..... makes sense to me.

6. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

There are, but one that is exclusive to the new iPhone, just like iOS 4 FaceTime, iOS 5 Siri.

7. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Yea but there's were still rumors of a voice service so it wasn't a complete surprise

8. SamGabbay thread starter macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

What do you mean?

9. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Siri wasn't a complete surprise because everyone knew they acquired the Siri nuance technology and ther were rumors throughout the summer.

10. SamGabbay thread starter macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

That's what I'm saying. This year there hasnt been much. Sure, Apple bought AuthenTech but there hasn't been any references to a fingerprint technology intergrated within the OS.

11. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

In your intial post you make an argument that we had no idea Siri was coming in iOS 5, when in fact, there were many leaks and rumors that indicated it was in the making:

We didn't see direct references in iOS 5 (I'm not sure how true this is, but don't care to research further), but we still knew it was coming based on a multitude of every other rumor possible indicating this would be the case.

The biggest give away was Apple acquiring Siri in April 2010, a year and a half before the 4S was released with Siri.

- http://blogs.wsj.com/venturecapital...er-into-voice-activated-search-with-siri-buy/

We won't see AuthenTech technology until the new iPhone in 2013, as Apple just acquired them a month ago.

- http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-07-27/apple-buys-authentec-Inc/56534418/1

12. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

13. SamGabbay thread starter macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

Thank you :) I thought of it myself

14. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

There was also early images of the microphone on the keyboard before the 4S was released.

15. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

other favorite titles of mine include...

iphone?

iOS

help

when did...

how do i

it's worth noting that many posts with these types of subject lines include words within such as...

welp

should of

"I've owned all 5 iPhone's"

and sentences like...

But!

As if!

duz ne1 no were teh batry covr 4 teh nu ifone iz loc8d?

16. knck out macrumors member

No, iOS 6 is dissapointing

17. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

I bet the new iPhone will have the ability to capture still images while shooting video (Like the Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3 & One X) and make it an iPhone 5-only new feature.

18. SamGabbay thread starter macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

Why do I have the feeling that you are right...

19. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

While I agree the tech Apple acquired AuthenTech for won't be in the new iPhone. The fingerprint sensor was well known and shipping (ready to ship?). So it may not be the tech that peeked Apples interest. So could still be considered fair game.

20. SamGabbay thread starter macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

YES! I love this kinda stuff. Gets me pumped up

21. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Siri was already an app implemented in iOS 1.5 years before Apple found it suitable to toss into their own phone as a beta.

Just because AuthenTech has a ready to ship product, you know Apple will take the next year to integrate it into their own device rather than tossing it in last minute.

The only way I could see AuthenTech landing in this year's phone is if they have been integrating it all along and chose to make the acquisition last minute to avoid the rumor mill from churning out talk like this.