All iPads If you turn off Photo Stream, will photos still be backed up to iCloud?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by slapple, Dec 26, 2013.

1. slapple macrumors 6502

My mom is using her new iPad Air and finds the Photo Stream to be confusing - she doesn't know how it is different from the Camera Roll. So I want to turn off the Photo Stream. But I still want the iPad to back up all her photos to iCloud. If I turn off the Photo Stream, will all her photos still be backed up to iCloud?

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Yes, if you have iCloud backup turned on.

Photo stream is most useful as a cross-device syncing utility.

3. chabig macrumors 68040

4. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

Yep. The "cloud" is a confusing concept in practice who aren't good with computers. If she only has one ios device, there's really no reason to turn on photostream.

Keep in mind that iCloud backup is only limited to 5GB, assuming she has nothing else taking up iCloud space. If she's the type to leave ALL of her photos on her ipad, maybe you should consider getting her to buy some more iCloud space.

5. slapple thread starter macrumors 6502

Is it possible to have photos on the iPad that are not in the Camera Roll? My mom saved some photos from an email to her iPad, and those were automatically put into the Camera Roll.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you sync pictures from a computer, the synced pictures aren't in the camera roll. In your mom's case, sounds like she doesn't sync with a computer, so no worries.