If you were a world class ball player, would you finish your bachelor's or go pro?

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
8,803
0
...in basketball, baseball, or football where you can get a signing bonus which could pay for your college debt, new house, and sports car fleet of your choice?

in my small town of 1900 people, a graduating high school senior got a one million dollar signing bonus to pitch for the oakland a's and of course, he gladly went

the more common story is that a college jock, while in their junior or senior year, is offered a great deal by a professional sports team and usually takes it

what would you do?

go for the gold, or trash the offer and opt to finish college?

note: remember that having a bachelor's degree can result in 31% precent more income over a lifetime than a high school diploma
 

iSaint

macrumors 603
I'm almost sure I would be stupid enough to go pro...hopefully someone would guide me along to invest the money where I wouldn't have to worry about work after my five year career then blowing my knee out.

Of course, I cannot fathom having any sort of talent that would attract a million dollar signing bonus.
 

Applespider

macrumors G4
Depends on how good a player I was.

If I was likely to be taken in the first round of the draft with a few million as a signing bonus and the chance of a good career, I'd take it, invest wisely rather than buying Hummers and if the career fell through early, then hope to use some of that cash to return to college and finish the degree.

If I wasn't a top-rated prospect and the likelihood was battling for a roster spot each year and a spot on the practice squad, then I'd finish the degree.

Then again, there are a lot of guys on sports scholarships who have no interest in getting a degree and who have their schedules loaded with such easy credits that it's more or less useless. They are as well to cash in and hope to trade on their name in future.
 

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
8,803
0
iSaint said:
I'm almost sure I would be stupid enough to go pro...hopefully someone would guide me along to invest the money where I wouldn't have to worry about work after my five year career then blowing my knee out.

Of course, I cannot fathom having any sort of talent that would attract a million dollar signing bonus.
95 mph fastball...consistently

one million in baseball is like pocket change in the majors...sometime, do a google or altavista.com on george steinbrenner...but then take a valium to calm down and refrain from thoughts of wanting to do harm to the man ;)
 

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
4,715
0
Gah! Plymouth
I would go through school just because of the way i am, education comes first.

and anyways my career was ruined before i made it to the majors. pitched for 10 years and destroyed my arm.

Also if any of you know about the draft pick for the marlins that came from Peabody, MA. Got over a million dollar singing bonus, and everything went to his head....became addicted to oxy contin and heroin. Sad story, but he is trying to make it back in the majors after going to rehab.
 

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
32,191
5
Adelaide, Australia
Tricky. It's not something like motor-sport driving which always has a career attached, even after racing has long gone the way of the youngsters.

I'd probably like to get a degree behind me at the same time if possible. A friend of mine is playing AFL (Australian League Football) for a top team, trains most of the week, but still manages an engineering degree. That'd be ideal. :)
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,859
57
At least stick in for a bachelors in accounting ...

If you do not know how to manage your money, you are taking a risk that somebody will play major league games with your fortune.
 

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
1,128
0
Peoria/Chicago, IL
Being in college now, I think I'd stay but for different reasons. I would stay for education but also for how fun it would be. I'm not saying I would go out partying every night, but if I knew I was going to be playing a professional sport I would just like to sit back and soak it up. Of course going to a party and have everyone in the room know you're about to making millions of dollars a year wouldn't be bad either... :rolleyes:
 

mpw

Guest
Jun 18, 2004
6,364
1
Do they have cheerleaders in baseball? Are they hotter than the college girls?


Sorry guys I'd follow the cash, if the career falls through I'd still have savings enough to return to college or maybe just live off for a few years.
 

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
8,803
0
being one that took another path besides college...for me, getting married 2 1/2 years into school and working full time...i think college can be finished anytime later in life

there is no rule saying you have to finish college at 21 or 22 years of age

i was one of the people, through circumstance but not a major league signing bonus and sports career :) , who finished college at a later date

going pro can solve your money and debt problems, and then you can finish college later...actually you can finish any college you can get accepted to and money will never be an obstacle

there are plenty of would be harvard or yale grads who went to no-name state because of high tuition cost

money is not everything but if you have a skill that only one in a hundred thousand have, why not utilize your skill to make more money in one week than most of us make in a year?
 

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
4,346
1
Throwing aspirin tablets will maybe get you in the front door of a double or triple AAA's franchise, but there'll be a lot more which will keep you inside for a career. If you have pro scouts courting you, you should have universities courting you, with full scholarships. Ya, I admit I'm old school, but development of character and academic prowess coupled with a 95 mph fast ball could take you longer, wider and deeper into a meteoric career that could leave a legend. There have been a myriad of "flashes and ashes" to the contrary.
 

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
1,039
130
Canada's South Coast
Duuhhh!

Dude, that's a no brainer! Go pro! Take the huge signing bonus, play for a few years (or until you get hurt, or bored) and then go back to college just for the heck of it. You won't need the $$$, but more importantly those 20-ish college chicks will be falling all over you -- the worldly pro athlete turned thoughtful, nurturing arts student. Plus all the guys will buy you free beer. It's a helluva life, I'll tell ya.
 

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
8,201
0
sitting on your shoulder
eva01 said:
Also if any of you know about the draft pick for the marlins that came from Peabody, MA. Got over a million dollar singing bonus, and everything went to his head....became addicted to oxy contin and heroin. Sad story, but he is trying to make it back in the majors after going to rehab.
I read about that in SI. But there have been good players from this area. Like Rocco Baldelli (though he missed '05 because of injuries) and Mark Bel- oh wait, I said good :p
 

iRachel

macrumors 6502a
I think I would finish school first. Of course, it's hard for me to imagine such a scenario, because I'm a total klutz, and was never very coordinated at sports - not that I didn't try. So maybe if I was actually any good, I might have had considered it.
 

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
1,583
1
California
Finish school.

If I really am as awesome as the idea of turning pro is suggesting, the sports world can wait a few years for me to show up and rock everyone's socks off.
 

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
24,418
124
Location Location Location
I would go pro....

I think that most people here who said that they would stick with "university" don't seem to understand people who have lived their life to fulfil a dream. Sure, education may come first, but many people who want to go pro do so not just because they're talented and great at it. They also happen to love it and have dedicated their life to that sport.

So to say you'd stick with school isn't putting yourself into their shoes.
 

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
2,265
0
jefhatfield said:
...in basketball, baseball, or football where you can get a signing bonus which could pay for your college debt, new house, and sports car fleet of your choice?

in my small town of 1900 people, a graduating high school senior got a one million dollar signing bonus to pitch for the oakland a's and of course, he gladly went

the more common story is that a college jock, while in their junior or senior year, is offered a great deal by a professional sports team and usually takes it

what would you do?

go for the gold, or trash the offer and opt to finish college?

note: remember that having a bachelor's degree can result in 31% precent more income over a lifetime than a high school diploma
Just out of curiosity, whom? I have a few guesses but the curiosity is killing me... :p

If I had the option, I would definately take it. Take half of it, and stash it in a bank account, and spend (or give away) the other half. You can still learn when you are 40. You cannot throw a baseball 90 mph when you are 40, however...
 

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
1,965
0
New York
eRondeau said:
You won't need the $$$, but more importantly those 20-ish college chicks will be falling all over you -- the worldly pro athlete turned thoughtful, nurturing arts student. Plus all the guys will buy you free beer. It's a helluva life, I'll tell ya.
The girls will fall over the athlete, which will soon be followed by the athlete literally falling on the girls. If all goes well, maybe even some money will have been safely put away for the eventuality of using limited influence to move his name ahead on the list of those who might one day need a new liver. It all sounds so positively intoxicating.
 

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
1,965
0
New York
Abstract said:
Sure, education may come first, but many people who want to go pro do so not just because they're talented and great at it. They also happen to love it and have dedicated their life to that sport.
There is merit to this view. While I would like to see the education option chosen, young athletes have a certain mindset which makes almost everything revolve around the lucrative prize of a signing bonus and potential pro career with even greater $$$ rewards awaiting them.

It is as much a part of their fabric and the guiding force in their young lives as it is for those talented in other fields. Splashing water on a potential dream -- even one that often proves to be short-lived -- is easier said than done, and also unrealistic against the lure of big money combined with a sports saturated culture of adulation from fans.
 

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
733
0
I'd go pro and save up some dough. If you blow your knee out you can still go back to college, but an injury in senior year can mean not going pro.
 

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
24,418
124
Location Location Location
Deepdale said:
There is merit to this view. While I would like to see the education option chosen, young athletes have a certain mindset which makes almost everything revolve around the lucrative prize of a signing bonus and potential pro career with even greater $$$ rewards awaiting them.

It is as much a part of their fabric and the guiding force in their young lives as it is for those talented in other fields.
Um......yeah, and then some of these young athletes may actually love their sport and dream of doing so all the time if they can.

You sort of missed the point of my post.
 

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
1,965
0
New York
Abstract said:
You sort of missed the point of my post.
You seem to be rather fond of that expression. Your point is your point and others are entitled to theirs. Sorry if I missed the point ... perhaps it was just too abstract for me. Athletic types surely can have the ultimate passion for what they do and desire to perform at a high level for as long as they are capable. That is commendable and also the goal ... I wish them well in all respects.
 

XNine

macrumors 68040
I'd go pro. College can wait. Why pass up a once in a lifetime chance?

College can wait when you have millions of dollars.

If a hockey team ever offered me 500k a season, I'd do it without thinking twice. If I had to drop family/friends and everything I have, I'd do it.

You shouldn't pass something up that could set you up for the rest of your life. At least, not in my opinion.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.