If you were allowed to keep only one device, would you give up iPhone or iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Goldfrapp, Mar 28, 2011.

?

Which one would you give up?

1. I'd give up iPhone. I'm willing to get a cheap phone or use iPad as a phone or whatever.

32.0%
  2. I'd give up iPad. iPhone as a phone, portability are very important to me or whatever.

68.0%
  1. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

2. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

3. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

4. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I love my iPad, but it's really no contest. My iPhone is much more portable and I use it a lot more often. I'd be lost without it.

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Why would I be forced? I guess if someone was going to force me, I'd crack 'em over the head with my iPad. If that didn't work, I'd use the iPhone as an equalizer and crack 'em on the chin. Then, I'd go buy a new one of each.

6. ravenas macrumors regular

I don't even own a smartphone let alone an iPhone. (Cell phone plans / data caps are outrageous from most carriers here.) Does an iPod Touch count in this contest then?

For portability the Touch/iPhone wins hands down, but for usability the iPad dominates. All that lovely screen real estate makes for a much better user experience. I loathe typing on the Touch (why no landscape keyboard?) and web surfing is utterly painful. No I do not want to zoom in 3x just to see where the next page link is. The speaker on the Touch is a toy. The iPad1 was a portable TV/radio/phone in any room.

When my iPad is handy, I use it exclusively (unless I have my laptop). My Touch gets relegated to playing music in the background on the iHome speaker.

7. MadDragon1846 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Lol same here! I love my iPod touch (typing on it ATM), but I'm soo looking forward to getting my iPad. This tiny screen does my eyes in. XD

(hopefully my iPad will turn up today, I'm trying not to get too excited just in case it doesn't lol)

8. Q Bert macrumors regular

Q Bert

I dont know about you but my iPad can make and receive calls so I'll give up the iPhone hehehe

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Tough choice, since I use the hell out of both of them. But I'd probably have to give up the iPad (as long as I could replace it with an 11" MacBook Air).

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

iPad a luxury item
    iPhone a tool to help me with my job.

The answer is a no brainer, give up my iPad. Looking at the results of the poll, this is the consensus as well

11. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

iPhone, no contest. The experience of using iPad is too good to give up, even compared to an iPhone.

12. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I could never give up my iPad. I'm actually considering getting a "regular" phone when I renew my contract. I'm holding out to see what iPhone 5 brings us.

Since I got my iPad, I have use my iPhone almost never for anything other than calls and letting my kids play some games.

13. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

You need to clarify if you mean people can buy a different type of smartphone.

Technically the iPhone can do all the iPad can, but the iPad cannot do all the iPhone can, so if you could only own/carry one piece of tech, then obviously you would select the iPhone as otherwise you would have no means of communicating on the go.

If you mean, keep an iPad and then buy, say a HTC Desire HD, or Galaxy S then it's a different scenario.

14. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Same here. No contest. iPhone is a necessity and iPad is a nice to have.

15. ravenas macrumors regular

This is what I do. I have a cheapie LG Rumor Touch from Virgin Mobile. Gives me the ability to make phone calls and has a slide-out QWERTY keyboard for texting, but I almost never use it anymore.

Between Google Voice giving me unlimited texting and voicemail transcription available anywhere and the $30 a year unlimited Skype Out calling, my Touch and iPad (as well as laptop) become my default communication devices. Only service I pay for to enable that 24/7 is MiFi service.

I keep toying with the idea of a smartphone for the built-in GPS functions and Google's integrated features with Android, but then I look at those expensive monthly plans AT&T and Verizon offer and I change my mind.

16. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No contest for me. iPhone is my lifeline. iPad is a convenience.

17. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wow, for once an interesting poll! iPad is swell and all, but iPhone is the Mac daddy.

18. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Exactly. Not everyone is willing to admit the iPad is a luxury item, but if someone ever took your iPad then every one of us has at least one computer to go to and life goes on.

I love my iPad but I don't "need" it since it's too big to take everywhere and the places I use it there's already a computer nearby. But that can't be said for the iPhone.

19. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Keep the iPhone. It's more portable than the iPad and has more functions as well.

20. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

I need my iPhone a lot more than I can use an iPad. iPhone=need;iPad=want.

21. thefreeagent macrumors member

Actually, you definitely can. 3G iPad + Line2=fully operational phone on the iPad....unlimited voice, texts, and whatever data plan your carrier provides....it works great!

22. leenak macrumors 68020

I don't have an iPhone or any smart phone. I think a cell phone is important to me but see no reason I'd need an iPhone.

I love my iPad though so you could rip it out of my cold, dead hands.

23. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would easily give up my iPad in a second. I love my iPhone, use it all the time. It's portability/convenience can't be beat.

24. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

definitely ditch the iPhone, assuming I'm allowed to get a dumb-phone so I can still make/receive calls & texts!

25. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

Well if I had to, I guess the iPad would go because of the phones portability. Maybe as the weeks pass, I would change my mind; who knows?