If you were going to upgrade one thing on the iMac what would it be...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bobright, Oct 26, 2012.

1. bobright macrumors 601

I'm looking to get my first ever iMac a 27" base model, I don't need it to be super upgraded as I'll just mainly use it for web browsing, managing my music in iTunes, and maybe doing some lightweight recording with a USB Mic and Logic.

I want to upgrade something on it, based off my usage what would you guys upgrade? SSD instead of HDD, i5 to i7, the graphic chip I think it's called? I have always just bought all in one PC towers so bare with me here ha ha

2. combustible macrumors newbie

combustible

i think you'll see the biggest benefit from the fusion drive.

3. zhandri macrumors 6502

for the things you said i'd take the fusion drive. generally i'd say graphic and CPU would be the biggest upgrades but for just web browsing and stuff the fusion drive will give you the biggest performance increase since you won't be doing any CPU or GPU heavy tasks

4. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks guys

Anybody else, Fusion my best bet? Would I benefit from RAM as well?

5. eldho macrumors member

For what you are talking about the ram will be ample - but personally I would add a bit to future proof your computer. From my experience in the past it can be expensive to add more ram in the future when the specs of the ram produced have changed meaning that you then have to look around for old scarce expensive ram that fits your computer.

I agree with the others about the appeal of the fusion drive, not knowing how much it will cost at this stage though makes it a bit of an unknown in that respect. Oh, and re ram, Apple charges the earth for ram, it is far cheaper to find compatible ram elsewhere and it is just as good if not better.

6. dearlaserworks macrumors regular

Fusion, definitely. RAM will be fine. Upgrade that later if you ever need it for a lot less than Apple charges. (e.g. $50 vs. $200 for 8 GB)

7. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

I will go in this order.....

for your uses:

1-Fusion drive
    2-RAM
    3-i7 processor

The processor upgrade only if you want more raw power to throw out:):apple:

8. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Is the i7 really needed, thought that was for if you have numerous resource hogging things running at once? I don't want to overspend too much because if a retina iMac or something a lot better comes in a year or so I'll probably sell this one.

9. dearlaserworks macrumors regular

Not for the tasks you listed.

10. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

What about an i7 just for the sake of future proofing the computer against OS system requirements. Might there one day be an arbitrary cuttoff line drawn between an i5 and an i7?

I think the cutoffs are between architecture generations as apposed to horsepower.

12. LachlanH macrumors regular

Fusion drive for sure.

No upgrade to a computer is more felt by the user than moving to SSD performance. It just makes everything feel so much more responsive.

This is assuming of course that the fusion drive works well. Hybrid drives to date haven't really delivered promised performance. Apples Fusion drive works quite differently from what we have seen so far, so I have hopes for it.

Incidently if just a 256gb SSD was an option on the new iMac I would suggest that. Sure you don't have over 1TB capacity but all SSD is still going to give better performance, no matter how good the Fusion drive is.

13. Lampmeister macrumors member

1TB Fusion Drive. You'll always be able to add memory down the road if needed.