If you were in my shoes...iPad or Macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fallingwater, Jun 12, 2012.

1. fallingwater macrumors newbie

fallingwater

I realize what I am going to ask is a personal preference but just curious what you would do in my shoes. I feel like a little kid with a gift card in a toy store. So iPad or macbook pro? I started working for a company a few months ago that offers discounts on apple products as my company is a business partner. So I figured I would get myself an iPad 3 next month as I don't own an iPad. Well I didnt realize that my company also offers an additional discount, a huge one, for one time only to encourage apple use.

I can get an iPad 3 for roughly 150 dollars (before tax) or a Macbook pro for around 1200. Here's the thing... last summer I purchased a Macbook Pro 15 in. 2.3 GHZ with anti-glare screen (figures). So I am not in the need of a laptop however when they announced the new snazzy retina screen, well...I'm impressed. I kind of feel like since I get this one time large discount I should get the biggest bang for my buck (yes, a little greedy I know). I still get discounts so I can pick up an iPad a little later this year but it will be for more than the 150. I might be able to sell my current Macbook and from looking online it appears to be worth around 1300 (if those websites are correct). I may have 2 people interested in buying it but well...these people are friends and I never sold a computer to anyone before.

I do some freelance graphic design/photography work on the side so that is why I bought the anti-glare screen. Not sure if the retina would have a lot of glare (I heard that issue has been addressed). It seems like what I have now has more GHZ? Would I be downgrading in that dept? Sorry Im not real savvy when it comes to specs. So I am not sure if using up my discount for a Macbook Pro is worth the trouble if I am not gaining much besides the screen.

Thoughts?

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

You could probably buy a new MacBook Pro with the discount, sell your old one, and buy an iPad with some of the proceeds of the sale.

3. psingh01 macrumors 65816

You get the iPad because you don't have one and don't need to replace a one year old laptop. That's what I would do anyway.

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I think you should buy MBP instead of iPad because you work for freelance graphc work.
    I bought a MBP last year until I got an iPad I find myself less using MBP now….

5. Xcelerate macrumors regular

I think getting the new retina one would be great for graphics work. Sell your old Macbook and get the iPad with it :)

6. errorunknown macrumors member

The choice is clear, get the new macbook for $1200, sell for 2000 and buy a new iPad for $500. Free iPad 3 and some cash in your pockets too! Don't kid yourself about the retina display on a laptop, not necessary IMO when the high res previous gen looks great as is.

7. dank414 macrumors member

I agree with this guy. Selling the older or new MBP can get you what you're looking for and not make dent in your wallet. Simply, ipad 500(cheapest) - 150 = $350 saving or mbp1800(cheapest 15") - 1200 = $600

8. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

I stupidly keep getting each new iPad thinking it will be drastically better than the last, and they aren't. They're still far below a laptop in useability, speed, and power. I hate having to put the iPad away any time I need to go to a site that utilizes Flash.

9. SprSynJn Guest

Pretty simple actually. You have a computer already, so get an iPad. You won't regret it, I assure you.

10. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

I got an iPad 3 because I didn't have one... well I rarely even use it. By far my worst Apple purchase so far.

11. fallingwater thread starter macrumors newbie

fallingwater

Wow, thanks for the great replies. Much appreciated. Some of you have said I could sell my current macbook and make a profit. I didn't think I could get much more than 1200. Maybe its worth more than I thought. Its in excellent shape (I'm pretty anal on taking care of my stuff) and I still have all the original packaging. I will have to look at how to sell it. I heard ebay isn't the way to go anymore and don't really feel comfortable using craigslist due to so many robberies.