If you were leader of your nation for a day, what would you change?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by InsanelyApple, Feb 16, 2011.

1. InsanelyApple, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011

InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

Just like the title says. After the thread gets a couple of posts in it, I will post what I will change.

Have fun.

EDIT: Here is the imaginary senario using the United States as the example nation.

You were unanimously elected in the November 2012 elections. The house and the senate is all your party. The Supreme Court justices all died a plane crash, so you assigned members of your party to the Supreme court. You have some great ideas of how to fix the nation's problems. So you get to writing your new bill titled, "How To Fix Everything Wrong With The Nation."

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'd take away every citizen's gun and disband the military.

I am assuming magical powers are involved here.

3. InsanelyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

You'd be correct.

4. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I would push legislation that would insure that nothing like this could ever happen again. Then I would go catch a play at Ford's theater.

5. citizenzen, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2011

citizenzen macrumors 65816

Well... then I'd institute a national health plan too.

Why waste my magic power?

And gay marriage.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Gay marriage should be compulsory. Even for heterosexuals.

7. Mac-Michael macrumors regular

Throw a big feast for everybody, try to talk to as many people as possible and call it a day.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

All lobbyists will be shot on sight, even if waiving fistfulls of $100 bills.

The shooter is welcome to the cash. :D

9. InsanelyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

I couldn't stop laughing about that. :D

10. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Congrats. That's the hardest I've ever laughed perusing MR. :)

I'd make everybody live the life of their neighbor for a day, just to gain some perspective. A sort "of musical chairs" for karma.

11. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Sure hope my neighbor isn't planning on getting on an airplane that day.

12. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

- Make religions pay taxes.
    - Government funded stem cell research.
    - Gay marriage.
    - WikiGovernment: No more need for wikileaks, every aspect of the new government is transparent and readily available to the public.

For starters...

Then I'd probably get drunk with power and ruin everything à la Kim Jong Il :p.

13. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I'd like to say things like reform the education system, closer ties to Europe etc, but I'd probably throw a massive parade for myself and have "Emperor's March" from StarWars playing.

14. torbjoern, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011

torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

More funding to railways and infrastructure - which is expensive to build in a country full of mountains. I think I would also put all schools and other public services under the administration of the central government.

Yeah... I guess that's it. There would certainly be other changes that I would want to make as well, but those are of lesser importance than what I already have mentioned. Besides, they are obviously too controversial to post here on MR/PRSI anyway.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think I'd just mandate that the news media provided balanced coverage, and mandate 20% of news time to cover international affairs.

16. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

1) Magically be like more countries and have more than just two major parties

2) A practical form of national healthcare

3) Pull out of Afghanistan and Iraq and greatly reduce military size and spending

4) Legalize gay marriage and marijuana

5) Limit the power of lobbyists, especially the influence of corporate interests

6) Have the media attempt to report the news, not steer people to the left or right

7) And most importantly, force all citizens to buy only Apple products and pledge a loyalty to Steve Jobs the way North Korea worships their glorious leader and general. :eek:

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed with all of the above. :)

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Restructure the tax system so that balanced budgets can be achieved- taxes are collected at the time wages are paid, a combination of sales and/or usage taxes, do away with tax subsidies to corporations, individual breaks, and remove income tax filing. (There would be no need to file if taxes are being collected as described above.) Tax rates would be structured to maintain a pre-decided margin for unexpected costs and the rates would change immediately to reflect changes in spending by Congress

Draconian? If you want a way to keep spending under control, all you have to do is rely on the angry citizen mobs who would clean house in Congress.

Oh, and remove us from ill conceived wars. We can't afford it on multiple levels. First and foremost are maimed soldiers who society really does not want to support.

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Erect a 80 foot solid gold Robocop statue in downtown Detroit. Then institute a 4 day work week.

20. fivepoint, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011

fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I've answered this question a few times... Here's my answer again:
    Interesting point about pretty much every item on my list... they'd each lower our deficit/debt by billions/trillions of dollars. We could pay off all of our debt, and probably have enough left over to reduce everyone's taxes by half. How about a 10% flat tax. That should more than cover what we need under this plan.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Pull out of Iraq and Afghanistan and greatly reduce the size of our military
    Legalize pot and gay marriage
    Start a single payer health system
    Raise taxes on the wealthy
    Start taxing churches and other religious organizations
    Undo the Citizens United ruling
    Ban lobbyists from Washington
    Build nationwide high speed rail
    Close Gitmo
    Prosecute Bush, Cheney and members of his administration for war crimes
    Prosecute the greedy bastards on Wall Street who got us into this financial mess
    Pass term limits on congressmen and change the SCOTUS justice terms from lifetime to ten years
    Make free, public education available from preschool through college

And if magical powers are assumed here, I'd bring Thomas Jefferson and the other founding fathers back to life to tell the Tea Party that they're wrong, misguided and to stop using their names to try to start a completely bogus political movement.

22. ranviper macrumors 6502a

ranviper

Free Education.

Increase the value of the dollar again.

Reduce food and fuel prices.

Pull out of iraq and afghan.

Give our vets better care, they are too often mistreated.

ACTUALLY cut taxes. People deserve to keep the money the make.

US Autobahn :D

Healthcare system that works. One that isn't 1,000,000,000,000 pages long. LoL

Ensure the media TELLS the news, but balance it out so Fox isn't the ONLY conservative republican station in the US. :eek:

Reinstate Don't ask, don't tell, ironically, because I don't want friendly fire to go up and have gays killed. I don't want homosexuals to be killed because I disagree with their lifestyle.

And last but not least, the two that will probably get me lots of flak, but I would rather not argue about. This thread did ask what I would do. :eek:

Not legalize gay marriage.

Outlaw Abortion unless mothers life is truly in danger.

23. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Oh, I like you.

Since I'm from a small country, it's not that interesting. Although I'd fix some things in healthcare, infrastructure and stuff. You know, minor things, when one looks at the larger scheme. :)

24. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

In the U.S. . . .

I don't think lobbyists are all bad and they're protected by the First Amendment. Sometimes they simply educate politicians on issues. Although they can become too powerful so lobbying needs to be regulated.

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I do too. :)