If you were me, which SSD would you buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbsmithmac, Dec 3, 2012.

?

Which SSD Would You Buy

1. Crucial M4

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Samsung 830

24 vote(s)
    72.7%
  3. OWC

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. jbsmithmac macrumors regular

Please vote. I'm looking for the SSD that will be the most compatible, fastest, and reasonably priced (likely to buy a 128 or 256 GB).

Here are my machine's specs and a general description of how I use it.

Spec's
    - Mid-2009 13" MBP, 2.26 GHz, 8 GB Ram, SATA II

Use
    - Internet
    - iTunes
    - Web development (mostly freehand code, some Dreamweaver CS4)
    - Mild image editing for web use - resizing, scaling, etc. No heavy graphic editing.

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Samsung 830/840Pro or Crucial M4.

Those two are the most beloved here, especially for Macs.

Apple uses Samsung SSD's in their laptops.

I have the Samsung 830 (which is discontinued now, but still sold) and it's probably the most useful computer part I've ever bought in the past 5-10 years. What a huge speed bump!

I do have the 2011 MBP though, so it does support SATA III.

However, with your machine, it will give a huge boost.

Go with a Samsung. Any deals on the 830 or 840 (don't get Pro, it won't do you much good) is good enough.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

This is right on.

5. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Might be true, but if you go with the SanDisk/Vortex/ Blah blah you might have issues as these are frequently updated with Firmware and you don't want to be stuck with fiddling with it. Also most of the time you will need a Windows machine to do a firmware update (even with a Samsung, but they never update the firmware, it's usually rock solid from the beginning).

Samsung or Crucial, up to the op..based on price of course.

Also, the less people buy the crappy SSD's, the less the market will be filled with non-quality SSD's. The prices will still fall, regardless of how oversaturated the market it.

6. jbsmithmac thread starter macrumors regular

what's the difference in these two samsung models...I don't see a difference on newegg's site (granted not in stock - and likely not to be since they are 830's).

MZ-7PC256N/AM
    MZ-7PC256D/AM

7. YahonMaizosz macrumors regular

YahonMaizosz

8. jbsmithmac thread starter macrumors regular

I've been reading everything I can find on SSD's in the last few weeks and it seems like the majority are talking/using samsung or crucial...I threw OWC in there since the brand gets a lot of rep for mac stuff.

9. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

$$
    Not worth it in case of OP. Intel is great for SATA III.

Also Samsung 840 Pro and Intel's top are very close in terms of performance.

Not to mention the fact that Intel is usually 240GB/480GB vs 256/512 with Samsung 830 (and 840 Pro) so you gain a few gigs.

10. jbsmithmac thread starter macrumors regular

Yes this is consistent with my reading...as it relates to my MBP model.

11. SDAVE, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012

SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

You just want the bare drive, the upgrade kit is useless.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...7PC256B_WW_256GB_SSD_830_SERIES_INTERNAL.html

I've seen these in the $130-140 area a few weeks ago.

Check www.slickdeals.net for deals every day for the next week or two, if you can hold off.

Also Samsung 840 should be fine for you too. It is considered to be a little slower than the 830, but it is a newer model (but once again, has less gigs than the 830). It does use cheaper modules for the cell's, though. Samsung apparently made the 830 into the 840Pro and ramped up the speed. Those are considered enterprise SSD's now.

P.S. Skip the OWC.

12. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Get either a Samsung 830/840 Pros, Corsair SSDs, Sandisk SSDs, or OCZ Vertex 4. The rest of the vendors are either expensive per GB, not as reliable, or slow in write speeds, especially Crucial's M4.

13. jbsmithmac thread starter macrumors regular

14. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I completely agree with you. Chances are, out of the 3 drives OWC won't be the cheapest. I'm running the M4 in my MBP, and I actually had a Samsung 830 as well, but I ended up putting it in my PC. They're both great drives.

----------

It isn't going to matter in a mid 2009 MBP, it's limited to SATA II.

15. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Exactly.

Also by the time the OP want's to reuse the SSD in another system, they will all be super cheap by then and he will buy a new one. So it doesn't make sense trying to catch a few extra MB/sec when it comes to SSD's especially on a SATAII machine.

16. Blue604 macrumors regular

17. jbsmithmac thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I've read that thread. I also have seen in a couple places that the sleep issue has happend to those with the main SSD in the optibay. Some say having the startup disk in the location is the cause as OSX is not expecting it to be in that location.

18. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

512GB is definitely not worth it, imo, especially if you have a 2009MBP. Save your money. Anything over 100GB you're definitely will be using it as "storage". Mostly applications take advantage of SSD's and multi-tasking. Your MP3's or movies are not going to gain anything from an SSD.

You can get a 256GB SSD (even a 128) as the main drive and take out your optical and put in a 500GB/1TB drive for storage, or just use an external. I might be doing that soon.

19. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I put 2x 128GB Samsung 830's in my iMac and they are badass.
    But... I have also put Corsair ForceGT's in my Mac Mini, 1 was in my iMac before the Samsungs and 1 in my wife's older '09 MBP 15".

20. jbsmithmac thread starter macrumors regular

I'm actually leaning toward a 128gb drive because it currently has (came with) 160gb and its got about 70 free. Most of what is being used up is from other family members that now have their own machine.

When I get the ssd it will b a clean install of ML and then a handful of my apps. I don't see the OS and apps taking more than 15gb...and all my files are generally stored on my local file server that has TB's of free space.

21. AirThis macrumors 6502a

The Samsung 840. That promo clip with Laina (aka overly attached girlfriend) just rocks. Best commercial I've seen in decades. :D

More seriously, there's a great thread here on the SSD 830. So why not buy one and benefit from others experience? They've already done all the hard work, and there's plenty of positive feedback to go around.

22. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

I would get either the Samsung 830 or 840 Pro. Samsung did a good job with the 840 (non-pro), but it is a TLC (three bits per ram cell) design rather than an MLC (two bits per ram cell) design. TLC SSD's are cheaper because they need fewer transistors for the same number of bits. However, they are slower and wear out faster.

There are great articles and reviews about this on www.AnandTech.com. Here's a relevant page from the 840 review: www.anandtech.com/show/6337/samsung-ssd-840-250gb-review/2

23. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

I owned a OWC Extreme Pro and switched for Samsung 830. Now I have 2 of them in Raid 0 in my MBP
    Do not go for the 840 go for the 830 or the 840 PRO.

24. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

I have both, no perceptible difference in performance...

Startup disk is 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, data disk is 512GB Crucial m4. The reason I went with the Crucial was that I could get it for $300 in 512GB size whereas Samsung was considerably more expensive. If I could get 512GB Samsung 830/840 Pro below $400, I'd probably pay the $100 difference and buy Samsung;)

25. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

I considered the options and bought a Momentus XT :D