If you were on Verizon, would you get an iPhone now or wait until June?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thermal, Jan 11, 2011.

  1. thermal macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2009
    Location:
    Vancouver, Canada
    #1
    If you were a Verizon customer patiently waiting for the iPhone, would you get one in February or wait an additional four months until the next iPhone is announced?
     
  2. stewart715 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2008
    #2
    I'll be paying full retail for it on Feb. 3 and then if one comes out in June, for the one also.

    Crazy, I know. But put it this way, a 32GB iPod touch is 299 and I'm getting a phone + and iPod touch so I dont mind paying.
     
  3. maflynn, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

    maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #3
    correct if I'm wrong but the unsubsidized price of an iPhone is closer to 500 to 600 isn't? Seems a little excessive when you can either get an iPhone now a lot cheaper or just wait.

    Also if you're thinking of paying the unsubsidized price, why not get the IP4 for the subsidized price and when the iPhone 5 comes out you can decide whether that's a worthwhile upgrade and pay the full price then
     
  4. dave420 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2010
    #5
    If I were on Verizon and upgrade eligible I would probably get the iPhone now. I wouldn't expect an upgraded iPhone model for Verizon for a year. By upgrading now you may be eligible to upgrade sooner in the future.
    I wouldn't expect too much of an upgrade on the AT&T model this year. Maybe it will be "4G" (like T-Mobile's 4G) and have triple the download rate of the current iPhone.
     
  5. JML42691 macrumors 68020

    JML42691

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2007
    #6
    I'm debating what to do, I think I'm going to end up ordering it in February. The only upgrade that I would really like to see is LTE, but that is something that I could live without as I'll be in a WiFi zone 80% of the time, and I can deal with the somewhat slower speeds the other times. I also don't really see Apple jumping on the 4G bandwagon this summer, they waited years to add multi-tasking just to do it right and I'd think they'd wait to add 4G for when it won't have any effect on battery life, design, anything.
    Correct, $599/$699 depending on memory size. And I would think it would be much wiser of a plan to buy the current version now (at the upgrade price) and pay the unsubsidized price in June if the upgrade is really worth it.
     
  6. saberahul macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2008
    Location:
    USA
    #7
    My two year ends on June 17 I believe. If the iPhone 5 is released by then, I don't a see reason to get the iPhone 4.
    Usually, what month are the new iPhones releases?
     
  7. Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2007
    #8
    Getting one now. I don't think the June release will be significant, and probably GSM only. Besides, my 3G with iOS 4.x has been significantly challenged performance wise.
     
  8. jwiggs23 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2010
    Location:
    South Dakota
    #9
    I switched to Verizon last November for the Original Droid, so I'm under contract til the second half of this year. I really dislike my droid and have been waiting for this day to happen so I'm planning on paying the full price for an iPhone in February. And if a new version is released this summer that I have to have, I'll be able to sell my iPhone4 and sign a new contract to get it cheap. If it's not awesome, I may just wait til the next iphone.

    Also another reason I'm so willing to pay the full price for the iPhone is that last year my iTouch was stolen and so since then I've had to use my Droid and my sole mp3 player. And let me tell you, the music experience, and software on the droid and on all the Android devices I have tried just is very unimpressive and very buggy.
     
  9. Xeperu macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    #10
    I'm guessing Verizon will skip iPhone 5 (which will be only a minor upgrade to the iPhone 4 in my (and in logic) opinion) and get on the yearly refresh together with iPhone 6 next year.
     
  10. xlii macrumors 68000

    xlii

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2006
    Location:
    Millis, Massachusetts
    #11
    I'm on Verizon now and I also have a phone whose contract has been up for about 6 months now. I'm still going to wait... for 2 reasons.

    1. Lets see the pros and cons of iPhone on verizon. Waiting till June or July 2011 will give me a pretty good idea of how it is going. Also might as well wait for iPhone 5 if they are locking me in for 2 years.

    2. Kid has a Blackberry and her plan is up June 2011. At this time we plan to split her off onto her own bill (she's 23 now and on her own working in another state).
     
  11. shikari89 macrumors member

    shikari89

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2010
    Location:
    Oregon
    #12
    I have had my upgrade available since last September waiting for the iphone. I am still very unsure whether I want to upgrade now or wait till june. I am guessing the iphone 5 will not be as big of an upgrade as the ip4 was.
     
  12. stewart715 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2008
    #13
    That's my point. a 32GB iPod touch is 299 so I have no problem paying 699 (most would though).
     
  13. stewart715 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2008
    #14
    Unfortunately not eligible any longer :/ I threw the waiting towel in last September. I now wish I hadn't.
     
  14. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2010
  15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #16
    I bought the DX thinking if the iPhone did come it'd come in June 2011. I was wrong because I would not know any better than anyone else. I never thought a February release though. I will likely jump over to the iPhone sometime mid-late 2011. I only signed a 1 year contract for the sole purpose of getting the iPhone back. I liked my iPhone very much, liked making calls more. Interestingly enough though, some of the things I can do on my DX makes me question whether I care about the iPhone as much as I think I do.
     
  16. Zepaw macrumors 65816

    Zepaw

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2010
    Location:
    MN
    #17
    I had a Droid X for a couple months (Oct-Nov) and have a myfi now. I will probably buy an unsubsidized iPhone 4 and use it on my plan instead of the Myfi, bonus for it having hotspot capabilities!

    Seconded. In the end iPhone 4 wins for me, but it is so much closer a choice than I would have thought.
     
  17. richpjr macrumors 68030

    richpjr

    Joined:
    May 9, 2006
    #18
    I cannot believe that if Apple releases an iPhone 5 in June that it would be a CDMA version. There is just no way that Apple and Verizon would introduce a new model and then replace it in a matter of a few months. What is more likely as has been mentioned is that a GSM version is released and sometime later, it makes it way to Verizon as an LTE phone - sometime 2012.

    I'll be getting one on a one year contract (assuming they still allow that).
     
  18. Namji macrumors 6502a

    Namji

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2010
    #19
    +1.. since I have money to blow.. I will get mine on Feb 3. (new contract upgrade, since my contract has been month to month for 3 months now) and purchase full retail on the next one.
     
  19. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 29, 2010
    #20
    some of you are idiots. When the Iphone 5 comes out on ATT it will be on Verizon the same day. Verizon will not want Apple to release on ATT first that can take away customers. The exclusivity is over with. Hell If I was on verizon I get one of those new dual core phones not an Iphone 4.
     
  20. EDF macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2009
    #21
    Not really, AT&T will still have the upper hand. AT&T will still be exclusive for releases until 2013.
     
  21. EDF macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2009
    #22
    So my guess is Verizon users will have to wait 6 months...still.
     
  22. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

    frunkis54

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    #23
    Verizon is ahead of at&t for 4g so i wouldn't count on that
     
  23. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

    Interstella5555

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2008
    #24
    $600+$600 = $299+phone?

    I may have mis-read what you're saying, but where I'm from, $1,200.00 really isn't worth spending on 2 phones inside of 6 months.
     
  24. stewart715 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2008
    #25
    Where the hell did you pull that from?
     

Share This Page