If you were trailing in Ohio, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, Oct 15, 2016.

1. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well maybe I'd not pick a fight with the state's GOP chairman. But then I’m not Don Trump.

Excerpt:

Donald Trump's campaign has severed ties with the chairman of the Ohio Republican Party, according to a letter from Trump's Ohio state director that highlighted extraordinary intraparty discord in a key swing state less than a month before the election.

Robert Paduchik, Trump's Ohio state director, said in his Saturday letter to members of the GOP’s state central committee that state Republican Party Chairman Matt Borges, whom he copied on the note, “does not represent or speak for the candidate and he no longer has any affiliation with the Trump-Pence campaign.”

The Columbus Dispatch first reported the letter, which appears under Trump campaign letterhead and was confirmed by Seth Unger, Trump's Ohio spokesman.

In it, Paduchik writes that Trump is “very disappointed” with Borges's “duplicity,” according to a conversation they had this week. Paduchik accuses Borges of embarking on a “self-promotional media tour with state and national outlets to criticize our party's nominee.”

Well... maybe Trump had finally caught up with an earlier piece in the WaPo:

In that piece, which outlined the troubles Trump brought on himself by flipping out for a week over a reference to Alicia Machado in the first debate, Ohio's GOP chairman was among those interviewed.

Reflecting upon Trump’s actions, Matt Borges, the Republican Party chairman in battleground Ohio, said, “Can this thing just end — please?”

“My God,” he sighed, “what a nightmare.”

Borges said he has personally urged Trump to run “a very disciplined, different kind of campaign,” although he remains confident that Trump will carry Ohio regardless.
    Of course by now Mr. Borges might not be so sure Trump will carry Ohio, although he's probably professional enough not to say so. As far as Trump running a disciplined campaign, lots of luck. Different, yes. One of a kind, we could hope.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

I would do exactly as Trump would do. If I wanted to continue to seal my fate as losing the election and having someone else to blame it on.

3. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Trump is shaping up to be a terrible loser, that's for sure. Wonder if he ever played tennis... visions of bad boy McEnroe come to mind.

Being a bad sport in politics = trashing the party on his way out. He's making a real hash out of the downstate races now: the Republican candidates can't figure out whether to mention Trump favorably or not mention him at all, because within their own state electorate the Republican-leaning voters are split on Trump. Which of course means they want the candidate to take a public stand on Trump one way or the other. What a mess. Internal polling firms must be making a mint this year.

Anyway Trump seems to be getting more dangerous to the GOP as he gets closer to losing. He claimed happiness to be "free of" the Republican party's "shackles" and their little playbooks and scripts for him, but now he's carrying on in public about how they betrayed him. He's not acting like he's free. He's acting like a wild animal can act in a cage when you release it after a rehab, like when you open the door at one end so it can leave, the critter is too crazed to notice and keeps trying to bite you through the bars on a side of the cage instead.

4. Zenithal macrumors 68040

5. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

The real ones (the nuts off the Ohio state tree) or the candies?

HomemadeBuckeyes.jpg

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

He took his TelePrompTer apart the other night. Yeah, that's stable. :rolleyes: But hey he is free of his shackles now.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Perhaps it should be "trolling in Ohio."

8. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Trump might think the Cincinnati Enquirer is trolling, considering they looked into details of Ohio election law and the 2016 ballot, including authorized write-ins, and detailed voters' options if they want to make a "dump Trump" count on Nov. 8th:

So I guess Donald Trump has that newspaper on his list now for sure. :D

9. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I'd say he should remind people that a hair dye company screwed up and put white streaks of paint over black cats and people thought they were skunks? Or how the Epipen controversy was due to Democrats?

10. Zenithal macrumors 68040

The chocolates. I didn't know they're based on an actual nut! Is the nut any good?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 15, 2016 ---
    What? Pfft. Oh, Liz, you're clearly not on the Donny Loop. The election is on November 28th.

11. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

No clue about buckeye nuts, never tried them. The chocolates are just peanut butter and chocolate though, aren't they? Whatever, they're immorally good.

Yeah how I could forget. :D I need to remind any Trump voters I know about that too.

12. Zenithal macrumors 68040

In a way. Plain versions yeah, but there's some chocolatiers out there and here who make their own peanut butter and do other things with it. There used to be an Amish or Mennonite store I'd order from on the East Coast online and they'd import their chocolate mass from Europe. It was expensive, but worth it. They shut down years ago after it got too expensive to run. I've played around the idea of making my own but making chocolates is messy.

13. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Put it in your sig like me. :D

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I only have one thing to say about that.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'd promise to sign an executive order sending Carson Wentz, J. J. Watt, Odell Beckham and Adrian Peterson to the Cleveland Browns, that's what I'd do.

16. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Your post makes me homesick for the city and the chocolate hangout of the upper upper West Side, if not much of the larger world... I've no idea if they ever heard of buckeyes at Mondel's, but their truffles were an indulgence of mine. And apparently of Katharine Hepburn's as well: the place (not far from Columbia University) was founded in 1943; somehow it still finds enough chocolate addicts to foot the rent, which by now must be astronomical even if for such a small footprint in NYC.

As for the state that made the buckeye its state tree, I have a feeling that Trump's antics are not going to have much of an effect one way or another on Ohio's election outcomes at this point. Most sorting-out at the last minute is going to be ideological so there may be a lot of nose-holding on either side. The leftover problems for the GOP will be the bad feelings amongst segments of the Republican electorate for its own fragmented machinery.

17. APlotdevice, Oct 16, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2016

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Don't worry, all those polls that say Trump is behind in the state are just being rigged by "Crooked Hillary". Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 11.42.25.png

Well unless he's talking about the actual polling places for November 8. Which would mean that he knows he's likely going to lose this election, and is trying to invent an excuse for why he didn't "really" lose. (or worse, he's hoping that his followers will go out and suppress Democratic voters)