If you weren't offered AppleCare+ at time of purchase, how do you get it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NoHo, Oct 11, 2011.

1. NoHo macrumors 6502

I ordered through AT&T and there was never an option for AppleCare+. I didn't think anything of it assuming I could add it within the first 14 days or so that you have to return a phone if you wanted to, but now it appears you could only get it if you added it when you bought the phone, which a lot of us didn't get the option to.

Is there going to be a way to get it? Not having that warranty is going to be really risky.

I guess you could take your unopened phone to the Apple Store and have them add it, but after waiting all week for your preorder, having to not open it then take it to the Apple Store, which is bound to be a zoo, is kind of a real pain in the butt.

Is Apple or AT&T offering any other options?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

You have 364 days to add Apple Care (+) to your phone.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

There is a thread on this. Call apple, they were real happy to take my money.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

According to the article on the front page, you may not be able to buy AppleCare+ once you already have your iPhone. But only at the time of purchase.

5. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

apparently you have to buy AppleCare+ at the time because of the accidental damage coverage, Can you imagine how many people would not buy it and then drop their phone, purchase it and a week later make a claim?

Insane!
    That being said BB doesn't sell it, so I will be contacting Apple immediately. Might even go naked with this phone because of it.

6. NoHo thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think that applies to AppleCare +. In that case, if you dropped and broke your glass phone, you could just purchase AppleCare + and have the iPhone replaced. I understand having 365 days to add the regular AppleCare warranty (not +) since you're already covered for Apple malfunctions (not your own mistakes) for that first year, but AppleCare + is different.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No you don't. Read the terms.

8. sddabrow macrumors 6502

9. IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

I called Apple this afternoon about this and the rep said I could get Applecare+, but I would have to go to a retail store to purchase it, to show that the iPhone was not damaged. Sucks because the nearest store is over an hour away from my house, but makes total sense on Apple's part.

10. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I just noticed the fine print

11. NoHo thread starter macrumors 6502

So you have to go to an Apple Store and get it? Does it have to be on the 14th and before your phone is opened? That place is going to be a mess.

I wonder if Apple will give you a couple days to add it so you can go in to the Apple Store over the weekend when the lines have died down.

12. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I was told you had to come in on the 14th with it unopened!

13. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

I got mine frome Sprint. They had the option while doing my order. :D
    Sprint sucks huh?

14. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

If you ordered from Apple, call customer service NOW and have it added tom your order number. Otherwise, it seems like it will be a hassle. But I understand Apple wanting to make sure the phone is pristine before giving your the AppleCare+.

If you ordered from AT&T I'd call them and ask what they can do to help get it added.

15. chdwil macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Let's stop and think about AppleCare +. 100$ to get it, plus 50$ if you need replacement. Now it's really 150$. You can replace your phone for 200$ at the Apple Store as it is. So if you damage your phone once you only save 50$. I have had 3 iPhones now and they are all in excellent condition. So I have saved 300$ so far in AppleCare not purchased. If you update every year you are really wasting money since it's under warranty anyhow.

In my opinion it's a waste of money.

16. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

No you can't. Per the new + they will not replace your broken phone unless you have apple +. No more being extra nice to have a rep "hook " you up.

17. ZAiPhone macrumors member

What also sucks is they bill instantly for Applecare+ but I won't get the phone till the end of the month :eek::confused::mad: Although I knew I wanted it and ordered from Apple.com no hassle upgrading AT&T. I've owned every iPhone why stop now...

18. chdwil macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I will take my chances without it. It seems that insurance is looked at as a necessity these days. It's a real money maker for Apple.

19. sddabrow macrumors 6502

20. jpcarro, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

jpcarro macrumors 6502

jpcarro

If you want AppleCare+ now, just send an email to applestoreinfo@apple.com with the request. I did and it was added to the order quickly. I ordered my iPhone 4S with Apple.

Hello,
    Can you please add AppleCare+ for $99 to my iPhone 4S order# Wnnnnnnnnn?
    Thank you,
    John

Some people received the following from Apple...I didn't, but my request still went thru.

Dear Apple Customer,

Thank you for your recent iPhone purchase at the Apple Online Store.

We would like to let you know that every iPhone comes with one year of
    hardware repair coverage through its limited warranty and up to
    90 days of complimentary support. AppleCare+ for iPhone extends your
    coverage to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone
    and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each
    subject to a $49 service fee.

We noticed you weren’t given the opportunity to add AppleCare+ to your
    iPhone. If you would like to extend your coverage for only $99, please
    reply to this email.

Thank you for shopping with Apple.

Sincerely,
    Apple Online Store Team

21. NoHo thread starter macrumors 6502

Did you order your phone through Apple or through your wireless carrier?

22. jpcarro macrumors 6502

jpcarro

I ordered thru Apple. I see you ordered thru AT&T. You can try the email. Include your AT&T order#, your Apple Id and ask to be billed on your App Store registered CC.

23. 15danielp macrumors regular

I ordered through ATT. When I get my phone, I'll call Apple and add AppleCare+. If they give me any flack, I'll go with Squaretrade.

24. Theod0re macrumors member

Any solid answer on the actual price replacement with Apple Care? Is it 100 + 49$ service fee or just the 49$ both times?

25. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Squaretrade has a special right now that matches the Applecare+ price. $99 bucks plus 50 per accident.