Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aucun Express

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Let's say the company you are working for is offering you a smartphone (dumb BlackBerry) as well as paying your monthly bills (unlimited). You'd be able to use it for work and private.
Would you still buy the iPhone 5, knowing that you'd have to pick a carrier, pay for the monthly bills and pay for the phone? And therefore having two phones with you most of the time?

I'm wondering if some members are faced with this question.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
Let's say the company you are working for is offering you a smartphone (dumb BlackBerry) as well as paying your monthly bills (unlimited). You'd be able to use it for work and private.
Would you still buy the iPhone 5, knowing that you'd have to pick a carrier, pay for the monthly bills and pay for the phone? And therefore having two phones with you most of the time?

Can't you just buy the phone and cut the sim to fit like others have done?

It would be a tough sell if you had to have two phones, I'd try out the blackberry and if it didn't work get an ip5

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Yes, I would. My company gives me a choice and I picked a Blackberry Bold 9900. It still does a better job syncing with corporate systems. Besides, I can leave it behind on weekends and truly disconnect from work. My iPhone5 is in my pocket for personal use.

foobi

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Try to get a iPhone 5 from the company then?
Or just take the blackberry and leave it change the sim-card to a nano and buy iPhone 5.

cinger0439

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
My company gave me a Blackberry and I couldn't stand it. It took me 15 minutes to type a sentence on the silly keyboard and I kept trying to touch the face because I was so used to my iPhone. Anyway, I added my work email to my iPhone and eventually returned the Blackberry and now they pay for my iPhone.

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
My company gave me a Blackberry and I couldn't stand it. It took me 15 minutes to type a sentence on the silly keyboard and I kept trying to touch the face because I was so used to my iPhone. Anyway, I added my work email to my iPhone and eventually returned the Blackberry and now they pay for my iPhone.

Come on, fifteen minutes because of the keyboard? Look, I love my iPhone 5 but let's not be silly. BB keyboards, especially the newer ones, are really fantastic and they also have touch screens available.

They're not for everyone but this sounds silly to me.

nabwong

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
One Question: Do you work for Blackberry? Cos that's the only only company using Blackberry now. lol. I kid. :p

Aucun Express

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Can't you just buy the phone and cut the sim to fit like others have done?

It would be a tough sell if you had to have two phones, I'd try out the blackberry and if it didn't work get an ip5
Unfortunately our e-mails can only be seen on BlackBerry's, so I need to keep the current SIM in it.
RIM has not released a new product since like forever. They have postponed their new products for Q1 2013. My BlackBerry seems so outdated, it's crazy.
So I'd like to buy the iPhone 5, but honestly, paying more than 1,000 bucks in two years for a new smartphone and a new contract seems a lot of money for something that I already have - even if the phone sucks. Especially in this economy.

Aucun Express

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
One Question: Do you work for Blackberry? Cos that's the only only company using Blackberry now. lol. I kid. :p
Nice one! You should see me trying to surf a Website on a 2.44'' screen without multi-touch. That's like lightning a cigarette with your feet. :eek:

ann713

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2008
California

This is funny. If anything, I type twice as fast on a Blackberry than on an iPhone.

immemorial

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2007
Guelph, ON
Yes, I would. My company gives me a choice and I picked a Blackberry Bold 9900. It still does a better job syncing with corporate systems. Besides, I can leave it behind on weekends and truly disconnect from work. My iPhone5 is in my pocket for personal use.

This. I have a BB 9900 for work and I have an iPhone 5 for personal use. Nevermind the fact that company policy keeps me from using my BB for personal use, I just wouldn't do it. It's good to have that division between your personal and professional life. That and the BB kinda sucks. (Great for email, calendar syncing and contact management... that's about it though)

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I would still have an iPhone for my own personal use/number. My father had transitioned his personal phone to his company who paid for his cell phone plan (he used it for both personal and business). Then the let him go, and kept the number which he had had for over 10 years. He was NOT happy.

For my work, I'm not in a position where the company provides a cell phone. If they did, I would keep it separate.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I have two phones, one for work and one for personal. I like having that separation

Also, see if you can get either the 9900 or 9810, those have multiple touch screens along with the full keyboards, they are probably the best blackberries out right now.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
Isn't it against company policy to use you work phone for personal reasons ?

Many companies allow it now. Ours even started porting personal numbers in, supplying an iPhone and allowing you to take the line when you leave. A sister company of ours does the same thing.

imazu

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2012
Couch
the company I work for provides cellphone as well but I have my own personal phone that I use. i just don't like all my personal stuff be on the business line. sometimes i forward the calls on my business line without problems if I don't wanna bring the company cellphone.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
For the iPhone I have that lucky case; my company pays for it with "acceptable" private use. As I mainly cause data transfer and very limited voice that's just perfectly fine.
For the iPad it's different, I have a separation with company and private iPad. Two different worlds of content.

One reason is also that the company devices are centrally managed (monitored) with a MDM system and we are not allowed to connect to cloud, Dropbox etc. so quite limited functionality. Plus could be remote wiped by accident delete all my pictures.

I will also consider to replace my mobile wifi router now with an iPhone 5 once I see the tethering finally allowed in Japan is working well.

Last edited:

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Yes I would. Even if they paid for it I would still have a private phone. Even if they allow you to use it for personal use it is still company property and have the right to go through it at anytime. For me I would prefer to keep my calls, texts, and browsing private.

cinger0439

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Come on, fifteen minutes because of the keyboard? Look, I love my iPhone 5 but let's not be silly. BB keyboards, especially the newer ones, are really fantastic and they also have touch screens available.

They're not for everyone but this sounds silly to me.

Ya know, I never actually timed it, but I hated those tiny keys and trying to figure out the punctuation was ridiculous. Gosh, I'm so silly - um, I thought BB was struggling to even stay viable in the market? I guess there are a lot of other silly people out there.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011

I had a work issued Blackberry but when the company requested volunteers to give up their Blackberry phones in a cost savings measure, I volunteered. I was issued a regular phone and my quality of life went up because I had a cleaner separation between work and personal life. And although the company saved some money, they did end up losing more money in terms of my time.

My iPhone, although the option is available, will not be tied into my corporate systems. My trade off is I am giving up a work issued phone as I have no interest in carrying 2 phones and will make my cell phone number known to work associates.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Our firm is BYOD. Bring your own device. We can choose from blackberry android or iPhone. We own and pay for the device, they pay up to a certain dollar amount per month towards the bill.

Perfect solution IMO.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
I have a company line and just bought the iPhone 5 outright. The company pays for the entire bill + unlimited data :cool:

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
Get a new iPod touch, you get almost every thing the iPhone 5 has just without the phone, witch you already have. It's the best of both worlds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.