Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

Which CPU did you get in your 27" 2012 iMac??

• 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5

Votes: 14 15.6%
  • 3.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • 3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7

Votes: 56 62.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

XionCore

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Spending loads of money on the iMac, the bucks for the i7 doesn´t really matter at all. And hyperthreading gives a nice speed bump in some applications.

Comment

nosnhojm

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
First ordered the i5-2.9Ghz, then canceled and ordered the i7-3.4GHz. I don't think I really need it, but I would have always wondered.

Comment

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
According to what I saw in that order spreadsheet someone made. I'm expecting 90% to be the top of the line i7. I find that amazing that so many people got the top of the line.

Comment

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
OP should also add, will it be used for work or just upgrading because money is coming out of your... LOL

Basic user so I'm sticking with the i5 but I will upgrade to a 1TB or 3TB Fusion Drive.

Comment

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
First ordered the i5-2.9Ghz, then canceled and ordered the i7-3.4GHz. I don't think I really need it, but I would have always wondered.

Yes. My position is that you should get the highest specs you can afford, even if it's somewhat overkill at the time. After a couple of months the extra cash spent is forgotten, but if you go cheap you'll always be second guessing yourself, and not fully satisfied.

Comment

steve119

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2012
Scotland, land of the haggis
i5 2.9, I want it for music production. Some beefy music playing for drumalongs(hence the bose speakers) Some small photo/video editing and the odd film, if a game runs moderately then a bonus, if not then meh.:cool:

Comment

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
According to what I saw in that order spreadsheet someone made. I'm expecting 90% to be the top of the line i7. I find that amazing that so many people got the top of the line.

Well, I guess the economy has rebounded.

Comment

sergiobaschi

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Gothenburg, Sweden
I went for the i7. It was the hardest upgrade to go for - the fusion drive was obvious, the 680 was pretty cheap, so those upgrades were easier to decide.

What eventually got me the i7 is a mixture of things. The price didn't scare me enough, and hopefully I'll enjoy the extra performance in CS6 apps (PS, Indesign, Illustrator, Premiere), and when building iOS apps.

Edit: Had I bought the i7 for the Fusion Drive price? Most likely not.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.