If your songs are in the cloud, but your are on a plane....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by accinfo, Nov 22, 2011.

1. accinfo macrumors member

There is no way to access your music without being connected to any WIFI or cellular connection? I was just in that situation on a long flight from Las Vegas to Baltimore and I couldn't listen to any of my music on neither my iphone or ipad. I would think there is a way to have both. A smaller version of my library on the local hard drive itself and then access to the rest of the cloud music when you are connected. Is there or haven't they figured this out yet?

2. calvy macrumors 65816

Agreed. It kind of sucks that I need to download everything to my iPhone manually before I can listen to it without a data connection

3. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

You're that much closer to your music. :apple:

4. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

Don't they offer like $10 wifi on flights now? Without internet, cloud is useless. You can download songs you want on the internal storage I guess.

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Welcome to iCloud, " It Just Works".

Oops perhaps not?

Could it be that newer is not always better?

When in the plane, a situation I'm in frequently, I'm enjoying my entire library (thousands of songs) of music via my trusty iPod Classic :)

A device that will shortly be deemed by Apple as no longer relevant.

Isn't it ugly when someone else is making your decisions for you?

6. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

Couldn't you simply sync the "smaller version of your library" yourself? Isn't that what we all do?

7. rosemary1 macrumors regular

While I don't plan on getting it, I can understand how iCloud can be useful to some people. But still, having at least some music loaded onto your phone the usual way seems like a no-brainer.

8. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's magical. :)

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I agree, the op and his music were both in the clouds.

10. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

This is the exact reason why I didn't delete all my library and still got the 64GB. I don't want to depend on some sort of data connection, when it's suppose to be just on my phone. I'm using iTunes Match for the rest of my library, but definitely the first, that's way too careless at this point.

11. George Miller macrumors newbie

there are deep music lovers then him.. :)

12. AlohaMaui macrumors member

The other problem is when u travel overseas.

If u are not using wifi then, it would not be possible to listen to music over iCloud.

Possible to get a prepaid data sim card but again, it costs money and the data is usually quite limited in amount.

13. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

If you know you're going to be flying and there is no WiFi, why couldn't you turn Match off and sync like we've always done in the past? I understand manually downloading them is a pain, but what I did was subscribe to Match, deleted music in iTunes, re-downloaded all upgraded music (in iTunes), sync phone (with Match set as "off" on phone still, and then turned it on. It says it will delete ALL music; however, It kept everything I synced and has the rest of my library to download as I please.. Just a recommendation for future use.

14. bp1000 macrumors 65816

All it needs is a bit of thought before you fly.

You could even use the wifi in the airport to download the albums you want to listen to for the flight.

And in any case, the songs / albums you listen to the most will already be on your phone because as you listen to cloud music it downloads to the device anyway, unless you manually delete it.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The power of cloud computing only extends to where you have access. That's why iPhones have storage ;) just be sure to have some music stored locally

16. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

I thought this thread was going to be a wonderful philosophy on life when I read the title...

17. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

Well played

18. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So let me get this straight:

While many other companies are pushing full cloud-streaming, Apple put the brakes on that with their service and said "no, we're not going to stream music using the cloud. We're going to sync with it instead."

And now here's a thread from someone who is trying to use Apple's sync service as a streaming service, and they're annoyed with Apple because they don't like the limitations of streaming?

Sorry, man, but you're the one who decided to essentially stream your music even after Apple went against current trends and built their entire system around a different method. You have no one to blame here but yourself.

Who? Who told him to wipe the songs off his device?

Who is it we're all blaming here? I'm really curious since you're blaming someone, but neglected to name them.

19. kthnxshwn macrumors regular

No one is blaming anyone. People are discussing the limitations of iTunes Match. Get off your rocker, mate.

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So a limitation of iTunes match is that someone else is making decisions for me?

Ok, I apparently have no idea how iTunes match works, then. Because if that's a feature then I guess I don't know all the details. That sounded to ME like "blaming someone," but if that's just a limitation, I'll take your word for it.

21. bp1000 macrumors 65816

This is mental

iTunes match was designed so you could pick any song or album from your entire library and stream it.

And as soon as you go on the underground, in a basement shop or on an airplane you would still have access to your favourite music because it conveniently downloads them as it streams them.

If you want to free up some space just delete them. How simple can it be?

22. accinfo thread starter macrumors member

Can you do this is my question? Can I download my favorites and still use the cloud service? I had songs on the Iphone but when I switched over to the cloud I couldn't listen to any of them. Do I just switch the Cloud off and the formerly downloaded songs will be there? If that works then I am fine with it.

Thanks

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you're asking if you can use iTunes match / have songs in the cloud and also have a local copy, I think the answer is definitely yes. I mean, as Small White Car noted, that's the whole point (iTunes match / iCloud aren't a fully streaming service at this point). You have to have a local copy to listen to the song.

Can you please explain more clearly what you want? Do you want this:

Songs on Cloud = yes
    Songs on iTunes = yes
    Songs on iPhone / iOS = yes

or do you want this:

Songs on Cloud = yes
    Songs on iTunes = no
    Songs on iPhone = yes

?

The first one is straightforward -- just make sure iTunes is set to sync the song to your device. If you haven't already, you might as well use this tutorial to get the same 256k copies of your songs on your iTunes as on the cloud.

The second one can be done, I believe, but I'm less sure about how to work it. When you have a data signal, you can download any song in the cloud onto your iOS device, and it will stay there, but there might be a more efficient way than manually downloading the songs like that.

24. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Go to Settings>Music and turn off "Show All Music". This will allow you to view and play all of the music that is stored to your device rather than your entire iTunes in the Cloud library.

25. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

In other news, why can't Apple make the Internet accessible on my iPhone when I don't have a data connection? It sucks that I have to be connected to Wifi or cellular data in order to read web pages in Safari. Apple should fix that.:rolleyes: