If you're wondering, 4G LTE isn't really 4G...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ayeying, Dec 30, 2011.

1. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

So I saw this article and it was interesting.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/12/01/technology/4g_myth/index.htm?iid=EL

So apparently, the actual speed of the 3 carriers, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile have similar 4G speeds at ~10Mbps

I guess we're all complaining about the iPhone 4S not being 4G, we forget that, we should be complaining to the networks for not being able to provide real 4G speeds in the first place.

Just saying...

2. andyx3x macrumors 65816

So, so wrong. Sprint and T-Mobile's 4G speeds are no where near Verizon's. Verizon's 4G is faster than my home Wi-Fi. The others are not even close.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I've had my 4S surpass my sister's Galaxy Nexus in terms of ping time and raw download speeds. Tested in downtown Pittsburgh and in the rural surrounding areas. The article is stating the rather sad truth, America's cellular network is just not the greatest anymore.

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Fastest, maybe. Greatest? Find one within an order of magnitude of the size of Verizon or AT&T with better speeds, then you can talk about "great".

5. chakraj, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

it depends on area and congestion. My new Nexus is doing 25Mb down while out and about and 10Mb down in the brick building i live in. The best my i4S ever saw was 6.5Mb down and that was with the wind to its back going down hill :)

But you are correct "Real 4G" is like over 100Mb down. We are still at 3.5G

LTE advanced will be real 4G.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

What I don;t understand is why so many people make such a big deal about "real 4G". It's faster, it's pretty easy to find out what theoretical and actual speeds will be in your area on said "4G", so why sit here worrying about semantics. It's not like you are being duped into buying a car and being sold a tractor instead. It's a simple marketing term and you will still reach whatever peak speeds that are being advertised, in perfect conditions.

7. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Man, it'd almost be worthwhile for me to convert my verizon unlimited line that I have now to a 4G LTE phone, root it, and tether... then "add a line" for my iPhone that I carry with... then give time warner the big middle finger since they can only bring me about 8MBPS

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Verizon throttles your unlimited data if you are in the top 5% of users I believe.

9. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Verizon is only throttling 3G plans. They are not throttling 4G. There was one story about a guy who did 65 gigs on 13 days being throttled, but no confirmation. Another person in the story did 110gigs in ten days and was not throttled. I think they both need to use wifi, it's people like that that ruin it for everyone.

10. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

Verizon has true 4G, other carriers are only improving on their 3G and marketing such as 3G. Although 4G on verizon is nowhere near "ordinary" 4G speeds, that number is quite outlandish Verizon's 4G LTE is and should be consider the only 4G network.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Verizon does have superior 4G speeds compared to AT&T and Sprint. Verizon also seems to realize the limitations of CDMA so they're rolling out LTE pretty fast.

However, I'm not complaining with 7-10Mbps speeds on 3G on AT&T. AT&T has good speeds. The only problem is that its more or less 3G and not LTE ... so can't say they have an LTE network even though their speeds can be as fast as Verizon's LTE at some places.

I've seen LTE hit 30Mbps though.

12. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

Get your facts straight. AT&T has "true" 4G as well. What you call "true" is just LTE, and Verizon isn't the only US carrier using it.

13. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

What range would be top 5%

14. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Actually they are. I posted articles on this recently.

----------

50mb down with AT&T. Per tests AT&T is faster

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

16. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I think AT&T missed the LTE boat waiting for the merger and in the meantime VZW been buying all the good spectrum.

17. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I think WiMax and LTE should be called 4G, as they are a generation past enhanced 3G/HSPA+, and are IP based.

18. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Thank you for this PSA

19. corrado7 macrumors regular

corrado7

20. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

I believe there was talk that AT&T customers were getting messages from the network that anything OVER 2GB put them into the top 5% tier of users. This is probably comparable to Verizon, give or take.