iFlicks 2 vs. VideoDrive 2.8 vs. iVI Pro 3.5: Which is the best?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by oneMadRssn, Oct 28, 2014.

?

Which is the best software for the value?

Poll closed Oct 28, 2015.
  1. iFlicks 2

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. VideoDrive 2.8

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. iVI Pro 3.5

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  4. Other (see comment)

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I would like one app for the following task, which must be automated: detect new movie or tv show in some file structure, transcode or remux it (whichever is more efficient) into an itunes and appletv compatible file, and import into itunes with all the right tags and descriptions.

It seems the following can do all of this in one swoop, but with different costs:
    $24.99 - iFlicks 2
    €14.99 - VideoDrive 2.8
    $9.95 - iVI Pro 3.5

From what I have read, it seems iFlicks is the most polished solution for this of the three.

Does anyone have any experience comparing these three?

2. charlien macrumors 6502

3. oneMadRssn thread starter macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

So far it seems iVI has the only votes.

Is it compatible with Yosemite?

4. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

iFlicks 2 destroyed the audio sync on a lot of videos I tested it with. So for example the video runs anywhere from 2-10 seconds ahead of the audio after conversion.

I hope people are thoroughly testing these apps after converting their videos and before deleting the source. :D

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I have been using iFlicks since it first came about. I am currently using iFlicks 2 for all my conversions into iTunes. It does a pretty good job with the metadata. All my conversions have been flawless and I have converted close to 1000 movies from my DVD library. Can not compare it to the other programs as I have not used either of them.

6. jtrenthacker macrumors regular

Yes. Used it last night on my Mac Air.

7. JackieInCo macrumors 603

IFlicks 2. I've ran about 300 MKVs through it in the last few months and never had a problem with it. It's fast too, only takes less than five minutes per video on my i7 Mini.

When i tried ivi, it was too slow.

8. oneMadRssn thread starter macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Knowing that, if you were starting from scratch, would you pay $25 for that program?

9. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Absolutely. The program works, so worth every penny to me. My DVD collection was why I purchased the program in the first place. Paid for the upgrade to version 2.

Have tried Mac DVDRipper Pro and Handbrake as well. But iFlicks is just quicker and with my library, it had to be quick. Took me months as it was. I now have my whole library in iTunes and use my ATV to play all my movies.

Conversions are clean, audio is great and I could not ask for more.

10. hagar macrumors 6502a

I have used both iFlicks 2 and VideoDrive 2.8 and without a doubt VideoDrive is much better. Let's say you're importing 5 seasons of a TV Shows and the files don't follow a certain naming convention, then you have to fix the season and episode numbers one by one in iFlicks 2.

in VideoDrive it's all done automatically. Just set and forget, especially for TV Shows. Also, VideoDrive is compatible with HandBrake which is hands down the best converter out there. And it can download subtitles as well.

I've read that VideoDrive 3 is going to be released very soon with Yosemite support. Can't wait.

11. oneMadRssn, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014

oneMadRssn thread starter macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I thought iFlicks also figures out season and episode numbers? If the file doesn't follow a naming convention, then how does VideoDrive do it? I'm just confused because I thought they both just looked at the file name for this. If VideoDrive has a better system, then it may be the way to go.

12. hagar macrumors 6502a

Just noticed that VideoDrive is updated to version 3. Looks very promising: www.aroonasoftware.com

----------

It also works with naming conventions, but if your files don't follow those conventions, you can put them in a subfolder /Show/Season x/ and VideoDrive identifies them as episodes ( alphabetically ) of that particular season and show.

what I noticed in iFlicks is that if you want to retag shows already in iTunes it can go horribly wrong and you spend fixing all your episodes one by one.