Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
iGary said:
I may give it a shot, honestly.

My 6800GT is not quiet when the fan is running, but it isn't any worse than the X800XTs I've heard running. Plus, you can always upgrade the heatsink/fan on the video card with a quiet one from Zalman - a bit of a hassle maybe, but like they say you get what you pay for.

Except for you and your sysem apparently. :eek:

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
You missed one, in the iPhoto icon.

My guess is that he's the real trouble maker. The others are just groupies who always end up being too obvious and getting caught. Bring down the ring-leader, and their power will crumble.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
MovieCutter said:
I had a similar problem with my X850...got a new one, it worked fine, then sold it for a 6800 Ultra.

Do you concur with Blackadderthat the fan is noisy in the 6800?

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
whooleytoo said:
You missed one, in the iPhoto icon.

My guess is that he's the real trouble maker. The others are just groupies who always end up being too obvious and getting caught. Bring down the ring-leader, and their power will crumble.

It's iWeb for sure. :p

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
iGary, considering all the fracking™ trouble you have had with your G5, why don't you just e-mail Steve? According to Cupertino's front desk, if you e-mail him he will usually just take care of it for you.
Cant hurt to try.

I am thinking about e-mailing him about my whiny and hot MBP.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Hmmm, I'm having a hard time recalling Fracking Trouble with Apple Parts 1,134 and 1,217.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Kingsly said:
iGary, considering all the fracking™ trouble you have had with your G5, why don't you just e-mail Steve? According to Cupertino's front desk, if you e-mail him he will usually just take care of it for you.
Cant hurt to try.

I am thinking about e-mailing him about my whiny and hot MBP.

I can't imagine that Steve would personally do anything about it... do you know how many requests he must get per day?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
QCassidy352 said:
I can't imagine that Steve would personally do anything about it... do you know how many requests he must get per day?
I think I've read here on MR that people who have emailed intelligent and poignant emails to "Steve Jobs" have received much better response (but from whomever filters his emails).

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
devilot said:
I think I've read here on MR that people who have emailed intelligent and poignant emails to "Steve Jobs" have received much better response (but from whomever filters his emails).
According to the lady at the front desk, his executive assistant filters the mail. Still, like you said, intelligent and poignant emails to "Steve" usually get things done a lot quicker than AppleCare. iGary, I say its worth a shot!

deebster

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2004
Olde Englande
I can't believe no-one has said this thread made them throw up in their mouth a little (© iGary) :D

Oh, and now I just figured out how you get the © symbol (by hitting option+every-bloody-key-til-I-saw-it), how do I get the little TM thing?

Anyway, hope it all pans out well for you iGary. Your posts are always a good read.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
deebster said:
I can't believe no-one has said this thread made them throw up in their mouth a little (© iGary) :D

Oh, and now I just figured out how you get the © symbol (by hitting option+every-bloody-key-til-I-saw-it), how do I get the little TM thing?

Anyway, hope it all pans out well for you iGary. Your posts are always a good read.

™™™™™™™™™™™™™™

fn+option+2

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
iGary said:
Should I go get an APC one - do they have OS X software?
I don't know about OS X software (I've certainly never installed any), but I have an APC UPS at work and plugging it in to my G5 with a USB cable brought up a little battery indicator on my menu bar showing how full the UPS was, and a bunch of new power options relating to the UPS, all built into OS X.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
Have you ever purchased an Apple product that has had NO problems?

:eek:

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
EGT said:
Have you ever purchased an Apple product that has had NO problems?

:eek:

My three iPods - go figure. Highest rate of failure, lowest rate for me.

See, I do not know what to do at this point. Technically, I have bought it in four times. Two times it would not reproduce the problems, so the third I basically made them keep it (they won't usually keep it unless they can duplicate an issue) and yep, it wouldn't boot for them, so I got a new processor and cooling system.

So I get it home after the repair and it starts kernel panicking all over the place and I go into the Apple Store the next day and wait around while they run a 4-hour-long hardware test, which shows everything passed. While he reboots it twice - it kernel panics right in front of him.

"It must be software." I told him that I have reinstalled the OS four times on two different drives and swapped which slots they are in, but he says kernel panics are almost always software related, so fine, I go home and reinstall everything. (It kernel panicked during the install - LOL).

So after installing the OS, I unplug all the peripherals except the mouse, which I plug into the front, and the monitor, sans firewire and USB.

Firist I add all Apple software (Aperture, iLife etc. etc.) and try to sleep it etc. Fine, no worries. Then I work for a while and figure it is safe to add the rest of my software. After reinstalling all the stuff I have to have, it works fine, and will sleep, but not automatically (through system preferences) after a specified period of time. I have to do it manually. I try unplugging a bunch of peripherals and still same result.

Finally, I plug in my nano into my USB 2.0 PCI card and bingo it won't sleep. I yank the card and figure I have it licked. It still won't sleep automatically, but I'm happy, right?

Last night I slept it manually and when I started work this morning, it half "woke up" but the monitor did not come on and I had to reboot via the power button.

So technically there is "only" one service repair "officially on record," but I have been in the store with this thing four times (sent home three times - yeah, even after that one kernel panic).

I can imagine Apple will say "Well it passed our extensive diagnostic and all the hardware is fine, and you have only had it in once..."

Seriously - I would like some advice as to what to do.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
OK - dealt with two really helpful guys. Went right past level one when I told him everything I had done.

The level 2 guy had me reset the firmware and the NVRAM while all the peripherals were unplugged. Now we add a peripheral at a time and let it deep sleep and see if it wakes. Right now I have my monitor, network, FW800 external and the USB and FireWire inputs from my monitor plugged in while using my wireless keyboard. If it sleeps automatically (which it IS finally doing after the firmware reset) goes to deep sleep (you have to leave it for 30 minutes to an hour), and then awakes properly, I add another peripheral and repeat the process until it fails, which hopefully it doesn't.

I will tell you that if you have a stack of Crucial or third-party RAM in your machine, they won't even talk to you until you remove it. DO NOT SELL YOUR ORIGINAL APPLE RAM.

So far, so good. Way more helpful than the "Geniuses." :rolleyes:

I have to say I am very impressed with the way I was treated. I guess they new they weren't dealing with a complete idiot, which makes their life easier.

asencif

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
iGary said:
OK - dealt with two really helpful guys. Went right past level one when I told him everything I had done.

The level 2 guy had me reset the firmware and the NVRAM while all the peripherals were unplugged. Now we add a peripheral at a time and let it deep sleep and see if it wakes. Right now I have my monitor, network, FW800 external and the USB and FireWire inputs from my monitor plugged in while using my wireless keyboard. If it sleeps automatically (which it IS finally doing after the firmware reset) goes to deep sleep (you have to leave it for 30 minutes to an hour), and then awakes properly, I add another peripheral and repeat the process until it fails, which hopefully it doesn't.

I will tell you that if you have a stack of Crucial or third-party RAM in your machine, they won't even talk to you until you remove it. DO NOT SELL YOUR ORIGINAL APPLE RAM.

So far, so good. Way more helpful than the "Geniuses." :rolleyes:

I have to say I am very impressed with the way I was treated. I guess they new they weren't dealing with a complete idiot, which makes their life easier.

Beware of that Belkin card. Don't want things to be thrown out of loop again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.