Ignorant Columnist

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
"And Macs are better for graphics and videos -- or so I'm told. I have always used PCs so I don't really know if Macs are indeed superior."

:confused: :confused: :confused:

jon

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
gwuMACaddict said:
wow is right!! he ADMITS to not knowing anything about macs, and then continues to bash them. what a fool...
tell me about it!!

iPegboy

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Detroit
I e-mailed the dude this:

Rich,

I read your recent editorial discussing Sarasota's proposal to change all computers to PC, or Window's based machines. Although I understand your point of learning having to be extended at home, this can be obtained with Macs.

Macs use Microsoft Office, just like PCs and files can be transferred very easily with a USB pen drive.

But further to your discussion and point, in the article you say "And Macs are better for graphics and videos -- or so I'm told. I have always used PCs so I don't really know if Macs are indeed superior.

But with PCs locking in 97 percent of the market, deciding what kind of computers to use in a school system is a no-brainer."

This is some of the worst logic I've ever heard. So just because 97 percent of people do something, then that's how it should be done? Perhaps teachers were upset, because using Macs everyday, they know it's the best teaching tool for them. Think outside the box. The district could save a lot of money with just some simple upgrades on software instead of a full switch to PCs.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Lets all write emails, nice emails, about Macs and how good they are. Not "you are a moron" things, but more "I disagree on your article completely. Here's why..." I'd bet he would listen. Quote that he doesn't know anything about Macs.

Sound like a good plan?

(His email address is at the bottom of the page, second page. End of the article.)

iPegboy

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Detroit
I tried to be not so combative, but had to throw in the "worst logic" comment, because that's one my largest pet peeves out there. But yeah, construtive criticsm might change this dude's tune a little.

edited to include the first article on the issue that i found:

Article published Nov 13, 2004
Mac fans attack schools' PC plan

By Laura Green

SARASOTA COUNTY -- Superintendent Gary Norris was warned there'd be trouble if he ordered schools to switch from Macintosh computers to PCs.

The district had always allowed teachers to pick what they wanted, and about half chose Macs.

Mac users have Apples in their eyes. They don't think they'll ever learn to navigate a PC as easily. Most hackers don't even bother to write viruses for Macs because they're such a small piece of the market. Think of the money the district is saving on anti-virus programs.

And PCs are just so -- blah.

Before Norris even ordered the changeover, Mac lovers were already taking up arms.

Sarasota High Teacher of the Year Barry Gilliland has launched an entire Web site devoted to blasting the decision.

The head of the teacher's union doesn't think it'll end there.

"It is a heated issue to people," Barry Dubin said.

Norris began damage control Friday with a two-page single-spaced letter he sent to the district's 5,300 employees.

"There have been many rumors and innuendo flying around this district," it begins.

As school districts across the country have become more and more PC-driven, Mac lovers have held on with a vengeance.

In Sarasota, Gilliland is trying to win over supporters with a point-by-point rebuttal to Norris' plan.

On the issue that Windows is the most prevalent operating system," he writes: "And McDonald's is the world's most popular restaurant … but does being the most popular automatically mean that McDonald's serves the best food?"

Norris said his decision to go with a PC platform is one tiny part of a technology plan that will upgrade equipment, offer more training and save the district money.

Macs account for only 3 percent of the computer market, according to the online publication Mac Observer.

Norris said he can't ignore that.

"All of our young people in America will eventually be out in their place of work with a PC," Norris said.

Norris plans to back up the new hardware with training. For every dollar spent on equipment, 33 cents will go to training.

If a teacher doesn't know how to use the computer to inform her lessons, it's just a box on her desk.

Norris doesn't know how much his technology plan will cost. He said he'll replace old Macs with new PCs, so he doesn't expect the hardware to cost any more -- and perhaps less. It'll take about five years.

The only Macs he doesn't plan to replace are the ones in the hands of people who work with video or graphics.

Norris admits the PC is hopelessly behind in those fields.

As for everything else, Norris said there's nothing you can do on a Mac these days that can't be done on a PC.

Gilliland disagrees.

His affection for the Mac is based on a blissful partnership. His iBook and Power Mac haven't crashed in two years.

Gilliland has been writing programs for his science classroom for more than a decade. They won't run on a PC.

Gilliland supposes he could rewrite them for a PC.

"Yeah, if you've got another 10 years of your life to do it," he said.

Norris recognizes some teachers may have a legitimate reason to keep their Macs. So for those truly attached to their machines, he has a compromise.

Principals will be able to give waivers to teachers who can present a good case for sticking with them.

Gilliland will surely need one.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
I sent him this e-mail
I found your article disconcerting for a number of reasons, namely how inaccurate it is and how false the biases you're pushing are, with admittedly no experience. For example:

In other words, files and work created on a Mac are not easily transferred to a PC.

This could not be further from the truth. A microsoft word .doc file created in any version of windows word works perfectly on word for the mac. Flawless! I defy you to send me a file that doesn't work on my mac, and even if you send a virus, Guess what? I won't get it, because macs don't get viruses.

The fact of the matter is that Macs are superior computers, in every way shape and form than PCs. I cannot see one exception. I'm sure you will get many e-mails from other mac users like myself, and rightfully so. We are passionate because we were once like you, ignorant, blind to the ease and beauty that is apple. Look at it this way, once you go mac, you never go back.

Take care,

Jim Sowden

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
My letter:
Hello,

Your article was very alarming. Everything that you said about the Macintosh was false. "And Macs are better for graphics and videos -- or so I'm told. I have always used PCs so I don't really know if Macs are indeed superior" Well, I'm here to tell you that Macs are indeed superior. Macs have built into the operating system support for graphics and video to be offloaded to the video card, thereby making the graphics smoother and run faster. Also, in the next version of the operating system (10.4, codenamed Tiger) will include support for Core Video and Core Image. This is an expansion of the Core Audio technology built into the current version of the operating system, Panther (10.3). There is more information available at Apple's website (www.apple.com) and in the OS X tab of it.

"But with PCs locking in 97 percent of the market, deciding what kind of computers to use in a school system is a no-brainer."

Really? The task of keeping a Windows based network online is amazingly costly. For anti-spyware programs (free for personal use, but try a network of a few thousand comptueres) anti-virus (costly anyways, and each year you need to pay), and also the time to upgrade the computers physically. Whereas there are quite a large number of Mac owners with 6 and 7 year old computers that run very well, if a bit slow but still very usable, a comparable Windows computer would be long gone. Each OS X update has become faster and faster for these older computers, too, not bogging them down with useless junk. And the 3% market share figure is flawed. There are estimates that range from 7% to 2.1%. It is hard to calculate because Macs last a long time. I have an aunt with two LC580s in her classroom. They are 10 year old computers. They work perfectly. The 4 year old Windows computers are left alone, because they are too slow to do anything and too full of malware/worms/trogans/viruses to do anythimg with. Hard to calculate market share when computers that are 10 years old are thrown into the mix.

"That process of copying projects and files to a floppy disk and using the stored files at home and work is similar to what happens millions of times a day at offices throughout the world.*

Good lord! Floppies! A single word document nowadays barely fits onto a floppy. Macs haven't included a floppy drive for nearly 6 years and for good reason-- nobody uses them anymore! A song file takes up 3 times the space on a floppy. A JPEG image takes up an entire floppy, if you compress it to a few pixels. A USB flash drive, sometimes called a thumb drive, does that job far better than a floppy. And Macs have supported them for years. Before Windows supported USB. Plug it in, drag your files to it, eject it, pull it out. Presto. On a Windows computer, plug it in, wait for Windows to notice it, wait for drivers to be installed (what drivers? It is a simple USB Mass Storage Device!) and then scan it for viruses. Now you may use it. But use the old FAT32 format, because NTFS has some issues on some flash drives. And repeat that procedure each and every time you want to use a file, compared to the Mac. Insert, drag and drop, eject, and take it with you. Windows takes forever! And why? I don't know. It shouldn't.

"If nothing else, Mac users are passionate about their computers. They believe Macs are easier to operate and don't require as much maintenance."

Damn right we're passionate.
And Macs can do anything easier, faster, and without as many hassles as a Windows computer. Anything. Burn a CD? Insert the CD, drag files, click burn. Burn a music CD? Open iTunes, drag songs to a playlist, click burn. Burn a DVD? Open iDVD, make DVD, click burn.
Windows? Eh... Lets not go there. Long story.

What is the maintenance on your Windows computer? Do you scan for viruses, adware, spyware, and other malware? Do you defragment? Do you reinstall Windows every year?

On my Mac, I repair permissions before I install software. That's it. I DO OWN a Windows computer. I have to defragment it every month. I must scan for viruses every weekend. I must scan for adware and spyware every other day! Just to use it! Why is that? I use Mozilla. That helps cut down on the stuff coming in. But honestly, when the same people who designed Internet Explorer designed Windows, the quality scares me. The amount of plain BAD STUFF that I receive every day if I use Internet Explorer? A few dozen. And I don't go to random sites, I just use Google for school assignments and such. Hence the reason why I use Mozilla.

"Thinking back to that initial meeting in the high school library, I see now that for all their postulating about technology, the teachers really didn't understand its applications in the educational environment."

Maybe they understood it better than you did? Teacher does know best...

"Sure, they could write programs, create Web sites and surf the Internet, but they didn't realize that computer technology is a tool to use at home and school."

They did. That is why that wanted you to use the Mac. You can do all that at the same time on a Mac. And burn a DVD. And use iChat (Instant Messaging Program) to talk with my friends. I can do that at the same time. On a computer that is now going on 3 years. It is an iMac 800Mhz G4, 768MB of RAM, and a 60GB hard drive. It runs Jaguar (10.2) which isn't even the latest and greatest version of the operating system! I have yet to see a Windows computer do that without crashing, corrupting the website, making the DVD into a 'coaster' and botch the program I was writing. And the sites I was looking at for school? Gone. Now my computer science project is back at square one. Yes, that has happened to me before. I wasn't happy. My computer is by no means a bad one, but it is very annoying to have constant program crashes, error messages, and more.

This email that I write to you has not been saved once. I am merely writing it out in my email program. I have a web browser open with 4 tabs open. I have iChat open. I am listening to music in iTunes. And I am not worried that my computer will crash and loose this email.
:) I signed it, but I don't want you guys to learn my name... just some privacy, yknow.

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
sent him this e-mail

I found your article disconcerting for a number of reasons, namely how inaccurate it is and how false the biases you're pushing are, with admittedly no experience. For example:

In other words, files and work created on a Mac are not easily transferred to a PC.

This could not be further from the truth. A microsoft word .doc file created in any version of windows word works perfectly on word for the mac. Flawless! I defy you to send me a file that doesn't work on my mac, and even if you send a virus, Guess what? I won't get it, because macs don't get viruses.

The fact of the matter is that Macs are superior computers, in every way shape and form than PCs. I cannot see one exception. I'm sure you will get many e-mails from other mac users like myself, and rightfully so. We are passionate because we were once like you, ignorant, blind to the ease and beauty that is apple. Look at it this way, once you go mac, you never go back.

Take care,

Jim Sowden
I don't understand the point of sending these emails. Sending ones that carry an extremely accusing tone and word choice don't do much in persuading anyone. I certainly wouldn't read something that uses the blanket statements (e.g. "I cannot see one exception") that are used in your email. Ask yourself if you'd want to read your OWN email if someone sent it to YOU?

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Bad Journalists!!!!!

One of the things that make my blood boil is a badly researched article.
Ones that are written by people tyring to sound knowledgeable about things they have no clue about REALLY make my blood boil!!
That's why I avoid reading 99% of music press and tech articles.
In fact the only journo stuff I read that's not news is Jeremy Clarkson's Driving stuff in The Sunday Times.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
His point is valid only so far. Like others, I don't think you can make a judgment call with out actually knowing something about the computer. His beef is really with the school and its policy of Macs.

No teacher should ever suggest for a parent to buy a computer (especially in high school). Not everyone has one to begin with. Course work on computers should be doable at the school and if more time is needed, then the teacher needs to evaluate what they're assigning.

Sad, really. Its not a Mac vs. PC debate, he's just singling out Macs. All the email he'll get will be an eye opener, I think. I hope you posts a follow up.

D

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
On Polished Apples

Let's see how reasonable he is... here is what I wrote to him:

Mr. Brooks,
I was amazed at how uninformed and oddly written your article on Macs in education was. Being a PC and a Mac user, the Director of Technology in a school district with many years experience, I would be glad to comment on each of your points if you'd like. No ranting, just calm discussion. The power of the press is to investigate and enlighten. Unfortunately you seem to have latched on to the old "most people don't use it and I don't use it so don't use it" syndrome. Also, and more importantly from an investigative point of view, the total lack of accuracy on Mac facts is appalling and inexcusable. Without accurate facts, what's left is... an article worth less than nothing.

Sincerely,
L Kern
Director of Technology
MCHS

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
... (him) being a teacher i hate to think how many children's lives he has influenced.

know who is teaching your children! this guy is a ****ing moron and he's not alone...

peace.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
"And if teachers find that the new PCs at school aren't compatible with the Macs they have at home, they can always go out and buy a PC for home."

He is certainly very biased. A lack of journalistic integrity, something that we have lost today. Now that it has been going on in the news for several decades, it has arrived in computers and science.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Does this guy listen to music on his PC or using a mp3 player? If it isn't from iTunes or using an iPod then the marketshare is too small. He needs to switch immediately.

By the way, I bet his graphics and videos suck on his PC.
:D

Barham

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2004
Ah, welcome to the world of Column Filler. That's all this article is. I think that I'll write in as well, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he didn't read a single email. This article is poorly written from the get go, and I'd bet that this guy knows it! It's written as if he had already left for vacation and wrote the entire thing in a sitting (sans research) before a holiday activity. It makes me wonder how people like him get jobs writing for newspapers, websites, and other organizations. This article wouldn't fly in Journalism 101. I take that back, this wouldn't fly in English 101.

It's surprising though, how many people come from, and relate to the logic he uses. Popularity is the language of the uninformed. I have yet to meet someone that uses a Mac regularly and still thinks that they "suck". But, you hear lots of people claiming that when they haven't used them very much. It's the same with Music, Movies, even Video Games. The uninformed choose and usually defend what is the most popular.

-Hasta

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
Its ironic that you say that b/c the same thing can be said about this very thread (and BBS as a whole). Of course, the name already implies the popular interest (duh), but it doesn't excluded yourself and the other members of this board from having the same "popular thoughts" and majority rules.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Mav451 said:
Its ironic that you say that b/c the same thing can be said about this very thread (and BBS as a whole). Of course, the name already implies the popular interest (duh), but it doesn't excluded yourself and the other members of this board from having the same "popular thoughts" and majority rules.
being a geek amongst geeks hardly makes anyone popular...

there are those of us who are the minority in a minor-majority... popularity is not why i use my mac or post here. irony makes the world go round... otherwise it would stand still.

peace.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
Shovel

I'm tempted to respond to this editorial, but as a friend of mine is fond of saying, "I don't have a shovel large enough to fill this intellectual void."