Ignore Lists

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Mar 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vrDrew, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016

vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm curious to know how other folks feel about taking advantage of the handy forum "Ignore List."

I'll confess to having somewhat mixed feelings about them.

On the one hand, I try to expose myself to a wide variety of opinions on various issues. Listening to what other people have to say, especially when they hold different opinions to one's own, can be very helpful to gaining a deeper understanding of an issue. And to formulating solutions to problems.

On the other hand: I don't listen to the Rush Limbaugh show. I don't watch Sean Hannity or Bill O'Reilly. And I don't pick up The National Enquirer.

So too the forum Ignore tool. There are some people whose contributions are, frankly, not only not worth reading. They are better left ignored.

I know there are racists, bigots, conspiracy nuts, and morons in the world, and on the internet. I don't need to be reminded of it on a daily basis. And I especially don't need to get into an argument with them. The old saying about wrestling with a pig comes to mind.

It does make for some interesting threads. Sometimes I'll see people I know (and respect) responding to ghosts. And sometimes I'll click the "Show Ignored Content" to try and figure out what was going on. But every time I do that, I'm reminded why I ticked that little "Ignore User" box in the first place.

I'm sure there are some people who'll read this, and post something hoping they'll get a response out of me. And I'm equally sure that some of them will be disappointed. Because, well.....

2. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

I've got one person on my list.

I enjoy the back and forth too much to ignore most of the contributors here.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you don't need to the forum to do it for you, it is pretty simple to just avoid those you don't like.

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I try not to feed the... well I see I was beat to the punch. :D

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Up until this year, I didn't have anyone on my ignore list and now I've just had a look and I've got 13 on there.

I don't know if that's me becoming less tolerant of the more "extreme" posters or just that there have been more of them!

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I have to wonder if any recent developments in this forum spurred this topic...in any case, I am no longer here enough to have anyone on ignore. I do miss the calibre of discussion on this forum from a few years ago though...

7. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

None.

I rarely block anyone anywhere, usually only the worst racists and bigots (but I prefer to smash them mercilessly so I rarely block). I don’t block anyone I simply disagree with, regardless what’s said.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I can't bring myself to use it. If I can't handle contrary opinion, even during those occasions when they're REALLY DAMN STUPID, what's the point of posting in this forum?

9. FieldingMellish Suspended

You don't have to worry about anyone putting you on an ignore list.

10. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

That would be like (for me) keeping a couple of cigarettes in the house. I know how bad they are for me. I tell myself I'never going to smoke them. I know nothing good is going to come from them. But sometimes, late at night, after a glass or two of wine......

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Don't use it. There are a handful of posters whose posts I rarely read and I try to never reply to them.

12. Robisan macrumors 6502

And miss comedy like this:

The Democrats stand no chance with either of their top candidates - both are completely unelectable. Trump will pick Cruz, they will win with 65% of the popular vote. Trump serves 2 terms, followed by Cruz for 4 more while the democrats move more to the center.​

NEVER!!

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the money that we get, we are paid shills remember? :D

14. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

it is like trying to avoid the hated employee at work pretty hard.

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

We get paid for bashing Apple in the upper half of the forum. PRSI is an elective bloodsport.

16. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I love the ignore list.

I'm fine with a dissenting point of view, but there are a handful of people whose signal-to-noise ratio is just too low for my liking.

17. nfl46 macrumors 603

I never use it. Doubt I ever will. Hell, I don't think I've ever blocked anyone from my cell phone, either. Everyone has an opinion, and I don't mind people voicing it.

18. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

Thats the key. And "signal to noise ratio" is an analogy/expression I've held to for a long time. Life is too short to wake through the inevitable, repetitive, knee-jerk stuff.

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

But at the same time, these people are so much fun to make fun of.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel, admittedly. But we all have our hobbies.

20. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

21. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I don't ignore anyone. I'm not going to make fun of anyone of demean them for a given point of view. While I may disagree with them and find their logic trivial at best, they have every right to hold their opinion and I will support their right to do so.

22. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I'll always support the right of someone to say what they believe, regardless of how moonbat crazy I think it is. Regardless of how hateful or overly paranoid I find xrayted and his ilk to be, I'll never once attempt to stop them from speaking their part.

But free speech is a two way road. I reserve their right to speak their opinion, and I reserve mine to tell them exactly what I think of them.

23. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

They come in handy when there is a sudden rash of conspiracy theory threads/posts from one user. Other than that I don't use them.

25. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The calibre of debate seems to fluctuate. I admit even to liking it sometimes when we get giddy and manage not to get banned while trying to get some thread locked or wastelanded. Sometimes those threads merit that level of play. If you're not in the mood for that the only solution is to bail on the whole thread, really.

To be honest I actually miss a few people (not all...!!) who were "disappeared" for something or other, usually while I wasn't spending much time online so I've no idea what blew up. On the other hand I have a list of people I probably wouldn't miss THAT much. And I'm probably that person on some other people's lists.

I like the idea of the ignore button but to me it's kind of artificial so I've never used it. I wouldn't like to start thinking I could push the ignore button on people at a dinner table or a staff meeting, tempting though that option might seem. There's always the chance they might say something I find interesting or that I actually need to know.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 15, 2016 ---
    Confess immediately: sometimes you just come close to "exactly". At least I only come close to exactly sometimes. At that I apparently got closer than I figured once or twice so I'm lucky I'm still around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.