Ihnatko: Retina MacBook is Apple’s best, but could be better

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pipper99, Jun 21, 2012.

1. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

2. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I am kinda disappointed in the fact that people complain over not having the ethernet port. What were expecting? You can't have your cake and eat it too. by adding a ethernet port, you just made the entire enclosure 10% thicker and thus 10% heavier.

We live in the age where Wifi is just everywhere. Just purchase the dongle and call it a day. If you keep latching onto old technology, you will never make room to grow onto new technology.

We continue to let our own habits decide our future ones. We need to all let go and just enjoy the computer.

3. JasonQG macrumors newbie

From the review:

I think he makes a good point.

4. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Yes until you realize that he's talking about adding height to add a legacy port that the majority of people don't use anymore.

If the RMBP was overheating and doing other odd and bad stuff I'd agree but I don't see the point of making the unit even 3mm thicker than it has to be if it's just Ethernet we're talking about. Especially considering we're on the precipice of Gigibit speed Wifi.

5. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

That's a silly thing to say about fitting it into a bag. Yes it's lighter and such and it's not a world of difference, but how is technology supposed to evolve? It's not like they're going to release a .1mm laptop anytime soon. It's significant enough to notice and therefore it is a perfectly good reason for Apple to release it.

6. JasonQG macrumors newbie

Apple is still sticking with 802.11n on this laptop so far, though.

IMO, there are tradeoffs. For some people, shaving a few millimeters off is more important. For others, losing updatability and ports aren't worth that. Arguing that somebody else's priorities are invalid seems arrogant.

7. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Yes. I wouldn't be surprised to see any new Macs coming after this summer coming with 802.11ac.

In this case It's really about how many people are using Ethernet. Apple can't please all the people all the time. They have to eventually cut bait.

8. Tritons macrumors 6502

Great review. Thank you.
    I have 3 weeks to figute out Retina or Non-Retina 15''.

9. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Retina

If U can find one

10. brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

You've nailed it. I'm a bit surprised that he used that type of joke to make his point. Laptops don't go from being the inch and a half behemoths to what we have now overnight. Before we know it, laptops similar to RMBP will be mainstream and everyone will conveniently forget about how it started, as has happened with the imacs and macbook airs.

11. aluren macrumors 65816

I don't see why it's so hard to carry the ethernet dongle?? Am I missing something? If someone needs ethernet so badly, the non-retina MBP is still available...

12. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

I watch MacBreak Weekly on the TWIT network every week and Andy is one of the permanent co-hosts. I was seriously getting annoyed with the last episode and his ranting about the stupid ethernet port. Seriously, if you need ethernet then you must already carry the ethernet cable. Soooo.... attach the dongle to the end of the cable and now you just plug the TB in instead of the ethernet!! I like Andy most of the time but his rant over ethernet is ridiculous.

Also him saying that the reduced thickness is useless is just stupid. Who doesn't want a thinner MacBook Pro. This combined with the weight reduction are two of the main reasons I bought the Pro over the 13"Air.

13. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Will wifi allow me to get 300Mbps? If so I'm all for getting rid of it. Oh yeah and can I make as secure as Ethernet? (serious questions)

14. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I think many of us thought that the loss of the Ethernet port could be tolerated IF Apple had put in 802.11ac. This would offer Gigabit wireless speeds. For all the cutting edge technology in the RMBP, this was a real surprise. Other notebooks ship with this so it isn't exactly bleeding edge...

-P

15. Lvivske macrumors regular

My desktop uses ethernet. This isn't a desktop, its a laptop. Ethernet is redundant.

If I needed it - and lets face it, most people never use it - then there's an adapter for that. No problem / problem solved.

16. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

10% thicker != 10% heavier

:rolleyes:

17. Lvivske macrumors regular

what other notebooks are shipping with wireless ac? the first ac routers are just barely coming out...

18. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

But it's realistic though.

Apple has to be bleeding edge within the contain of vendor supply. The reason why you can't just walk into a store and buy a Retina is because there's a single supplier for the screen.

Apple could have done 11ac but could Broadcom or Qualcomm deliver millions of parts? Who knows?

19. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I was assuming apple will use the extra 10% for batteries. :eek:

20. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

plus even if gigabit wireless is about to come out it still needs wavelengths aka frequencies that can be blocked and disrupted by buildings, and electrical wiring and if your house has metal backed insulation or even businesses with that same problem ethernet is still the way to go and i dont buy most people use wireless look at the people that have problems with their wireless streaming apple tvs as soon as they go hardline ethernet they stream fine

21. JasonQG macrumors newbie

I think the ASUS G75VW is the only one so far, and that was just announced.

22. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

Got to agree with Andy with these quote. Like the Macbook Air Rev A. Who ever buy the 1st gen product is being the beta tester of the future product which is better nicer and cheaper

23. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

I liked the review. I agree with most of what he was saying. My office has 1Gps ethernet fiber. No WiFi does not have these speeds. But with that being said most places do not and Apple was right to omit it.

This shines some light on how good the design of the legacy MBP's are. A quarter inch( or only 6mm!) thinner 24mm to 18mm and he got this wrong actually, less than a pound lighter. 5.6lbs to 4.7lbs. This was designed over three years ago. All in a machine that you can change the HD and Ram.

Is the retina the future of the macbook, yes. Is the legacy MBP still a good design and relavent design, still thin, not too heavy, yes it is.

It is actually still one of the thinnest 15 laptops on the market. It is only 24mm, 21mm is intels spec for a ultra book with a 14 inch screen! The design will endure until prices for the retina can match the legacy 15, which will be two or three years from now.

24. leenak macrumors 68020

I guess maybe I'm the only one that remembers having a dongle for my modem... Yes, it was frequently used and it wasn't a problem. I'm ok with ethernet dongles.