iHome and Other versions of it...what to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by upinflames900, Jul 21, 2009.

1. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Alright I'm looking for something like the ihome what has an alarm clock and the ability to play music from an ipod (more specifically and ipod touch). Problem: ihome = $100
    Any ideas on a more cost effective version of this that does the same thing? Thanks in advance.

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I will tell you from experience that you get what you pay for.

The minimum I will pay for a iPod dockable speaker system / clock radio is $100. I have seen (and used) cheaper models and without exception they've all sucked.

3. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

the $99 ihome that you are looking at is by far the best sound quality/functionality you will get for the money. You can go the bose route but you don't get the alarm clock functionality. I just ordered one from buy.com for $80 delivered. I suggest you do the same.

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I picked up an iHome (model iH6) a couple of years ago. Honestly, I've been impressed by it's quality considering the low price point. Sturdy, good sound, comes with a remote, and has an internal battery with plenty of staying power.

My only complaint at this point is that the AC adapter is quite chunky. Maybe they've slimmed it down on more recent models?

5. upinflames900 thread starter macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

I guess what I don't understand is you can buy an alarm clock for say around $15 and decent (not great) speakers for say $20 yet when you combine them it costs $100? That just doesn't make sense to me, but if you think that I have to spend the $100 then I guess it is what it is.

6. MTI macrumors 65816

Apply your logic to any Apple product . . .;)

A couple weeks ago, I was in a JW Marriot hotel that had iHome clock radios in the rooms. Never used one before and it was fairly easy to setup with the Touch and sounded great. Had I known that the rooms were so equiped, I could have left the charger at home.

7. upinflames900 thread starter macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

I don't think that is a fair comparison...