IKEA/Cheap & Cool Furniture for Bedroom - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Ahheck01, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Ahheck01 macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I'm looking to get rid of all the 40 year old half broken bookshelves and makeshift nightstands in my bedroom and start from scratch. I like simple and clean - stuff from IKEA tends to be what I like in terms of design.

It's not a huge room - I'll get measurements this weekend. It's decent size though. I've got a queen size bed that takes up a good chunk of space. I'd like to get the most function out of my space without it seeming too busy.

Anyway, for starters, here's what I need:

A night stand - something on which to put my watch, alarm clock, glasses, possibly a beverage, and tissue box.

A bookshelf - This doesn't need to be huge - 4 ft tall, 3 ft wide with 4 shelves would seem about right

Very compact work desk - something to put my Macbook on and type away when writing, or while taking notes on a CD I'm listening to or book I'm reading. This kinda struck my fancy. I would consider slightly larger to allow for a future 24+ inch LCD to hook up the macbook to, while utilitzing a wireless keyboard and mighty mouse.

Various aesthetically pleasing and functional lighting - very open minded here.

What is my buget? Flexible, though the more money to spend, the longer the timeline over which I will be replacing things.

IKEA fans? If not, what are other inexpensive alternatives that aren't junk?

Thanks!!

2. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

It's hard to tell what someone will and will not like as far as taste goes. I prefer simple glass furniture (desks, tables, ect) while my friend hates glass and prefers wood. And my other friend prefers aluminum/metal furniture. It really depends on the look you are going for. Homey, suburban, industrial, ect. The best thing to do is just look around Ikea's site. Check out RC Willey as well.