iKlear damaged my MacBook and didn’t even do a thing to the fingerprints

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JeremySG, Jun 2, 2008.

1. JeremySG macrumors newbie

I’ve had my black MacBook for three months now and it is absolutely filled with very visible, dark fingerprints. I tried cleaning them off with water, soap, and isopropyl alcohol but nothing worked. Finally I spent $20 and got some iKlear but that did nothing to the fingerprints and it appears to have ruined the back of my MacBook since it is now filled with tons of small grey dots.

Here is a pic of the fingerprints after spending ten minutes cleaning with iKlear:
    [​IMG]

The grey dots that appeared on the back of my MacBook after using iKlear:
    [​IMG]

My MacBook is still under warranty but my question is: if I brought it to my local Apple store would they just blame the damage and fingerprints on user neglect or misuse? Should I tell them about the iKlear causing the damage?

Thanks

2. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

in my opinion, iklear is horrible to use on cases....it works amazing on screens

i stopped using it on the case and only used it on the screen, preferring, luke warm water with fairy liquid in small amounts.....soaking off with the cloth you get with the iklear.
    works a treat...and both my macbook still look perfect outside.

your case looks pretty soiled though.....but why would apple take responsibility for your lack of care exactly?

what you have is grease and no amount of water is going to remove it, not even alcohol will remove it properly. you need a proper degreaser.

the iklear will come off the back where the grey dots are...but you need to spend a lot of time on it.

3. jane doe macrumors 6502

Its fine, You just need to let the computer cool off... then clean the case again. Spending time to wipe off all the polish... Buff it real good.

And no, apple will not do anything about this.... The warranty does not cover case plastics of any type.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I've had my BlackBook for about the same amount of time and used iKlear once a week on it. It looks perfectly fine. Sorry your having trouble.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I strongly suggest that you moisten the microfiber cloth, and not spray iKlear directly on the BlackBook, especially when it's warm or hot. The directions on the iKlear bottle are pretty explicit about those procedures. :eek: