Ilhan Omar stirs up controversy again

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ThisBougieLife, Apr 12, 2019.

?

Are You Offended By Omar’s Speech? See post #48 for link.

Poll closed Saturday at 8:28 AM.
  1. Yes, because she did not call out Muslim Terrorists.

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Yes, because she is excusing Muslim Terrorists.

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. Yes, because she refused to verbally associate Muslim with Terrorist.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes, because she chose not to call them Terrorists.

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. Yes, other (explain)

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  6. No

17 vote(s)
    48.6%
  7. No, but I think she should have said Muslim Terrorists

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  8. No, but I think she should have said Terrorists

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  9. No, because she refused to add to anti-Muslim rhetoric in general

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  10. No, other (explain)

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/12/7126...shing-sept-11-photo-with-rep-ilhan-omar-words

Last month, following the New Zealand attack, Omar gave a speech at a banquet for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, which she said:

"Far too long we have lived with the discomfort of being a second-class citizen and frankly, I'm tired of it, and every single Muslim in this country should be tired of it," she told the crowd. "CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties."

Conservative outlets got wind of the quote recently and she has been blasted for describing 9/11 as "some people did something", accused of trivializing it and being a terrorist sympathizer.

Is this a justified criticism of what she said or this is more fake outrage?

2. raqball macrumors 68000

If she made a mistake in her comments she should clarify her remarks. Given that this was a horrendous attack on our nation and thousands died, if she meant what she said or fails to clarify her remarks then she is a disgrace who needs to resign yesterday....

[​IMG]

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I think I am going to subscribe to the NYP.

4. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Second class citizen? This woman has no idea what a second class citizen is. This is offensive on so many levels.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

I don't like what she said. I lost people in 9/11. Some dear friends. I also don't like that Trump is jumping on this because as someone in NYC when this horrific tragedy happened (and yes, I understand he was a private citizen) boasted about now having the tallest building; collected money from 9/11 funds that he really shouldn't have and other things. He can let others display their outrage. I find his high horse attack offensive.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1116817144006750209

6. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

Context! Context! Context!

The people who are criticizing her will criticize her for anything she says. She co-sponsored, the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund, how are they going to work that into their hate of her?

The specific comments were about how "all of us [muslims] were starting to lose access to our civil liberties."

I watched the entire video in the link. She talks about criticism from other muslims for coming down on Islamic countries when they are wrong. She says "… make sure that we’re not only holding people we don’t like accountable. We must also hold those that we love, have shared values with, accountable."

The Post is a hateful rag and just wants to stir up controversy.

Ilhan herself responded perfectly on Twitter:

"The people — and the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon!"
    — President President George W. Bush

Was Bush downplaying the terrorist attack?

What if he was a Muslim

7. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

More self righteous outrage from insulated Americans who don't have any real problems or grasp of cause and affect history. How many more decades of killing hundreds of thousands of people do you need to pay for 1 day in American tragedy? The lack of perspective and self importance from some people is gross. So now conservatives are the "words hurt" special snowflakes? At least your safe space is probably a well fortified bunker that justifies the label. I'll give you that.

8. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

It kind of reminds me of the "yada yada" from Seinfeld:

9. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

They are going to focus on every word she says to try and get her out. Everything everyone else says or does is ok but those speaking out or questioning seem to be the ones to go after. The less she says the better off she will be. She will be set up,provoked, incited and tested in every possible way until she messes up. Frankly speaking she is quite outnumbered at the time being.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, exactly. Stephen Colbert said the other day that he called Stephen Miller a white supremacist many many times, and nobody ever suggested Colbert may be anti-semitic. But Omar says the exact same thing, and everyone piles on her for supposed anti-semitism.

11. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

She'll be okay as she's in one of the most democratic districts in Minnesota. If anything, her supporters will be spurred to back her to the hilt. I'm more concerned about the hate spewed towards her. I wouldn't take the death threats against her lightly considering the actual violence against pols the last few years and the amping up of hateful rhetoric by Individual #1. He's the one that truly belittled 9/11, and disgustingly and dishonestly profited from the attacks.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Given she gets criticised a lot for saying stuff that is obviously true and no one else gets criticised for I think she definitely is a second class citizen.

If you read invisible woman all women are treated as second class citizens all the time.

13. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Sorry criticism for saying hateful things doesn’t make you a second class citizen.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 13, 2019 ---
    Stephen Colbert is not in government...... nobody really cares what he has to say as it’s inconsequential.
    Insulated my ass. Did you see lower Manhattan that day? It was a war zone.
    This is just nonsense.

14. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

This is just another product of the manufactured right-wing outrage machine. She got some things wrong (CAIR was founded before 9/11), but her fundamental premise was correct and the outrage over the way she described 9/11 is just foolish. When you say, as she did, that it is wrong to criticize and hold every member of a religion to a different standard because of the actions of a few, it isn’t an attempt to discount the seriousness of what those few people did.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So how come there has been more criticism of Omar for a couple of borderline statements than Steve King who is an out and out white suprematist?

Unfortunately it isn’t.

The most obvious example in daily life is the car headrest, if you are about 5 foot 6 you will probably have the car headrest in the lowest position, even though 50% of humans and 80% of women are shorter than that - https://tall.life/height-percentile-calculator-age-country/.

But the fact that pretty much every disease is tested primarily on men, even when it primarily affects women is pretty serious discrimination.

16. appleisking macrumors 6502a

You’re joking right. Steve King literally had his committee privileges stripped away. And btw I’m someone who wants him completely expelled. And seriously car headrests are the best you can do? And diseases? Im confused. Is this a typo?
    I’m offended as a NY liberal and American. I think she’s trivializing 9/11 by saying some people did something because she was lucky enough to not have experienced it and therefore can’t appreciate the true magnitude and horror of that day. What she should have said was we attacked the wrong people that I could agree with.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Cures for diseases are tested primarily on men in the whole of science. That’s massive.

And cars are the most dangerous thing we use in day to day life. Them being only designed for male comfort and safety is massive.

18. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

So just to be sure. People are losing their panties over intentionally misconstrued things Omar said ( AGAIN ), but it's business as usual when this clown shares false videos about her. Really? Especially after someone ( a supporter, which takes a whole new meaning when it's applied to someone that follows head ***hat ) has already been arrested for making death threats against Omar.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trump-ilhan-omar-video-822019/

19. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Ok please source the above two claims and can you source the possibility of even lowering the headrest beyond a certain point that would equalize genders. You understand that automakers have no incentive to discriminate against women right?
    There’s a 24 hr outrage machine with Trump. Let’s stop deflecting please

20. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

It's not deflecting. It's more of the same thing we've covered since her Israel statements were twisted to become anti - semitic. With this woman, anything she does is anti - semitic or hateful. If the president does the same thing, which he has literally, such as when he stated what others accused Omar of originally about Israel, he just gets a shrug. It's manufactured B.S. directed at another freshman female member of congress, who happens to be a muslim.

For Omar there's a 12 hr outrage machine with repubs, the other 12 hours are dedicated to the three letters that incites hysteria.

21. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

You do know that, just a few seconds before the “some people” reference, she used the word “terrorist” to describe the people she was upset about all Muslims being compared to, right?

https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2...omething-rep-ilhan-omar-said-about-911/223404

22. raqball macrumors 68000

She is a disgrace...

I don't know what's more troubling - her statement or the (D) elected officials who've defended it......

It does show how far the left is nowadays though.. I don't even know if saying left when referring the (D) is correct anymore. Extreme left would probably be more appropriate when talking about the (D) party...

23. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Nothing to get outraged about, but she should probably rephrase/clarify her comments.

24. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Eh, I've watched this. Her words were clumsy, but Americans/others don't same to apply the same standards to other politicians.

25. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Biased people don’t often apply the same standards to other politicians nor create new bills and pass new laws that are applied equally to all people and all countries ;) When there are conflicts of interest people tend to be biased as well ;)