Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacFixIt confirms a previous report that Mac OS X 10.2.4 will be coming this week:

There are now well over 100MB of updates to be applied after an install of Jaguar, currently culminating in Mac OS X 10.2.3. In the next few days, Apple will release Mac OS X 10.2.4, again increasing the total amount of updater material. Not to mention all of the individual iApp and security updates.

Meanwhile, iLife is due at the end of the week per all reports.

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Can't Wait

Well I for one can't wait for this. Maybe there'll be something cool in it (like fixed window buttons). I guess we'll wait and see...

Comment

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by MrMacman
Sweet. More 100+ MB downloads for all of you 56k'ers!

I'm not sure, but I don't think it means that the 10.2.4 update will be 100 MB. I think it meant that the cumulative size of 10.2.1 thought 10.2.4 updates would well exceed 100 MB. I doubt Apple would ever release a 100 MB update. Like you said, it's too hard for people to download without broadband.

Comment

Codemonkey

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2002
Edmonton
Originally posted by Freg3000

Like you said, it's too hard for people to download without broadband.

However, according to people's griping even half that size is apparently unacceptable.

New Apple tag line:

Apple. If We Stop Including Modems Will You Stop Using Dial-Up?

At any rate, not entirely sure what they can include with the .4 update except the obvious non-standard gui buttons. And maybe an update to Safari... to go along with the iApps... :)

Ta ta!

Comment

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
blech

What a week for my iBook to go belly up. Please Apple, ship her back to me quickly. :-(

-p

Comment

cgmpowers

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2002
Apple Store installed iLife already!!

The St. Louis Apple Stores have already installed iLife on their computers to demo it. I got to play with newest version of iMove, iPhoto and iDVD...

I didn't think to check the version of the OS but will do that tomorrow. I work in the same mall as the Apple Store and frequently visit to shop, surf the Internet and pester the staff. :)

Christopher

Comment

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
what, apple's supposed to not make updates because people still use dialup? what they should do is issue CD's you can buy for a couple of bucks (cost of printing and mailing) with an update on it that you can order... but overall, i like getting updates, regardless of size :)

pnw

Comment

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
Originally posted by ChicagoMac
Hopefully this also means new computers for this new os upgrade! I'm getting tired of waiting! Bring it on!

Actually, the new PowerBooks use 10.2.4.

Comment

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
Originally posted by paulwhannel
what, apple's supposed to not make updates because people still use dialup? what they should do is issue CD's you can buy for a couple of bucks (cost of printing and mailing) with an update on it that you can order... but overall, i like getting updates, regardless of size :)

pnw

Actually, some people were complaining that even upgrades to iApps should be free (which 3/4 are). So, unless the upgrade CDs are totally free or are like $1.00, not a whole lot of budget conscious people will buy them (though I may not be one of them!:D)

Comment

pimentoLoaf

Contributor
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Gee, another download.

Just got Super Nisqually the other day, picked up Jaguar-compliant HP print drivers this afternoon, and will have to update both Netscape 7 and SkyChart III sometime this week.

Wish T1-Lines cost $21.95 a month like my Earthlink dial-up... :(

Comment

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Originally posted by Freg3000

I'm not sure, but I don't think it means that the 10.2.4 update will be 100 MB. I think it meant that the cumulative size of 10.2.1 thought 10.2.4 updates would well exceed 100 MB. I doubt Apple would ever release a 100 MB update. Like you said, it's too hard for people to download without broadband.

From the original quote, it sounds like there are 100 MB of updates available after the installation of Jaguar. I don't quite understand why there are so many updates. They are coming too quickly, because 100 MB worth of updates within a couple of months seems like too much in such a short time.

Ah well, at least I don't have dial-up. :D

Comment

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
I wonder though if they will ship iLive to those who pre-ordered it to be delivered "in time" for the release date... i mean... that is the point of pre-ordering things isn't it?

When braveheart finally came out on DVD, I had preordered it and got it a couple days before the actual release date!

I wonder when I'll get it... I can't wait for the export of iMovie to iDVD! So easy now to open ANY movie in quicktime, export to DV (if iMovie 3 still accepts only .DV files), then make chapters in iMovie and move over to iDVD and burn! NO MORE double export!!!!

btw, has anyone heard if new iMovie3 will accept other format video? other than DV?

Comment

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
i am becoming less and less a fan of journalists that are only interested in sensational sounding things. sensationalism needs to die. the total update size for a fresh install X.2.0 to X.2.3 is 59.7 MB. NOT 100MB. Its called a Combo Update. Anyone who would reboot three times and download each update individually is not the brightest crayon in the box. In fact, I think Software Update would only give you the Combo Update anyways.

Comment

nickmcghie

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
UCLA
alrite partner, keep on rollin' baby, u know wut time it is... it's time for iLife!! yay!! i can't wait :D

Comment

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
Santa Barbara, CA
Originally posted by sparkleytone
i am becoming less and less a fan of journalists that are only interested in sensational sounding things. sensationalism needs to die. the total update size for a fresh install X.2.0 to X.2.3 is 59.7 MB. NOT 100MB. Its called a Combo Update. Anyone who would reboot three times and download each update individually is not the brightest crayon in the box. In fact, I think Software Update would only give you the Combo Update anyways.

Were they perhaps factoring in other software updates (such as QT, iPod, and Airport) as well? QuickTime (version 6.1) is about 20 MB, and iPod, Airport, iTunes (3.0.1) updates might total up to another 20 MB in size. I'm guessing that the total combined size of all software updates (not just the system software) is fairly close to 100 MB. Then again, you might be right--they could just be talking about system updates, but counting each update (10.2.1, 10.2.2, etc.) separately.

Comment

t^3

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
Just to clear things up, the 12" pBook comes with 10.2.3, and the 17" will come with 10.2.4.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.