Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zfreak2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2004
Hey everybody. First post on this board. Thought I'd tell everyone that I'll soon be joining you Mac users. Here's what I'm planning to get here pretty soon.

iBook 14" 933 Mhz
640 MB RAM
Airport Extreme Card
Apple Care

I got hooked on Macs during a Graphic Arts class that I've taken last year and this year. And decided that the OS is something that I can use for everything. I'm going to be going to college this fall for computer science and my parents agreed to buy me a laptop. I can't wait.

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
zfreak2004 said:
Hey everybody. First post on this board. Thought I'd tell everyone that I'll soon be joining you Mac users. Here's what I'm planning to get here pretty soon.

iBook 14" 933 Mhz
640 MB RAM
Airport Extreme Card
Apple Care

I got hooked on Macs during a Graphic Arts class that I've taken last year and this year. And decided that the OS is something that I can use for everything. I'm going to be going to college this fall for computer science and my parents agreed to buy me a laptop. I can't wait.

SWEET! I know about your enthusiasm. We all did when we SWITCHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats! You've got a great bunch of options on that config! Make sure you buy at EDU$$$ prices, since you are a student ;). You can get it at an Apple Store in the states, or off the Apple site if you're somewhere else (like me in Canada).

Note: You don't have to buy apple care at the start if you don't want, just before the warranty expires, unless you want to put out right away.

KC9AIC

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
Tokyo, Japan or Longview, Texas
I think that iBook will be a sweet machine.

Keep in mind that not everybody needs AppleCare. Apple's generally high build quality prevents most problems. Then again, I certainly would like having reassurance that Apple will cover my computer for years.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
fartheststar said:
SWEET! I know about your enthusiasm. We all did when we SWITCHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not true. I have no knowledge of that feeling since I never switched. I had the good sense of choosing a Mac SE as my first computer.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I recommend to get bluetooth as BTO as well. You never know for what it could be useful like salling clicker or bluetooth phone or mouse or something.

zfreak2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2004
CmdrLaForge said:
I recommend to get bluetooth as BTO as well. You never know for what it could be useful like salling clicker or bluetooth phone or mouse or something.

What else besides wireless keyboards and mice is bluetooth used for? I just can't see myself as needing it at the moment, since I don't have a bluetooth cell phone, and wireless input isn't really practical for me right now.

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
rdowns said:
Not true. I have no knowledge of that feeling since I never switched. I had the good sense of choosing a Mac SE as my first computer.

you are very lucky! I was forced into Win through relatives and work requirements...

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
zfreak2004 said:

iBook 14" 933 Mhz
640 MB RAM
Airport Extreme Card
Apple Care

Don't buy your Ram from Apple, it is much cheaper to buy from http://www.crucial.com. Upgrade at Apple is $150. If you buy from crucial the cost is $91.99, plus you should get something for the 128 MB Ram on e-bay.

Although you say that you will not need Bluetooth, for the small cost of the upgrade it is worth getting. I have a Powerbook and did not think I would use Bluetooth, I now have a Bluetooth mouse and it is great. Printers are now starting to appear with Bluetooth.

The model that you are going for comes with a 40 GB HD, for the $50 upgrade I would recommend adding another 50% to go up to 60 GB. My iTunes Library takes up 15 GB! If you think you may do some video editing in the future you will need it.

Lastly also consider the 12" version. You will save a significant amount of money. I doubt if you will notice the difference in processing speed. Although the screen is physically bigger with the 933 MHz version, the screen resolution is the same.

Anyway which every option you choose you will be getting a great laptop for the money. Hope you enjoy it.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
zfreak2004 said:
What else besides wireless keyboards and mice is bluetooth used for? I just can't see myself as needing it at the moment, since I don't have a bluetooth cell phone, and wireless input isn't really practical for me right now.
That perception may change anytime..you may wanna get a bluetooth mouse sometime soon...or get a bt cellphone..important thing is ..this is the only chance u get to get BT internal..and it costs just 50$...so..my advice wd be ..please get it///
cheers

zfreak2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2004
James Craner said:
Don't buy your Ram from Apple, it is much cheaper to buy from http://www.crucial.com. Upgrade at Apple is $150. If you buy from crucial the cost is $91.99, plus you should get something for the 128 MB Ram on e-bay.

A question. How hard is it to install the RAM? I don't wan't to have to have to take my computer apart a whole lot, since thats something that I don't feel qualified to do at the moment.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
zfreak2004 said:

Whatever fits your needs ;)

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
rdowns said:

Same here, I started on a Mac at college in the lab when my wife taught me how to use it. I had actually started with an Apple IIe with programming and all. Worked on some mainframe Piece Of Crap in high school as well. My father had a TRS 80? Something like that...a Radio Shack POC and I think a commodore 64 for a bit, but I didn't do much with it.

Welcome to the Mac community

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
OMG, not to be a MAJOR KILLJOY but... if your going to be doing Computer Science, most Universities/Colleges insist on you using Windows :(

Sorry mate! But I wouldn't want you buying an expensive lemon.

BUT... there is one thing you could do, because, yes Macs are a million times better... get VPC and run windows that way for your CS course if it is needed.

One tip with VPC, its a great app but really needs a lot of ram set to windows.. Windows on an actuall PC needs at least 512mb to be called "usable!" (IMO) so 768mb (buy an extra 512mb) for your iBook would be perfect... for VPC and for Mac :)

OK hope that didn't make you too depressed?

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
zfreak2004 said:
A question. How hard is it to install the RAM? I don't wan't to have to have to take my computer apart a whole lot, since thats something that I don't feel qualified to do at the moment.

RAM is user-installable in the powerbooks. Very easy.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
zfreak2004 said:

Installing memory in an iBook is fairly easy, but trickier than the Powerbook. Take a look at the instructions at the Apple website, which include photo's of how to do it. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=26277

If you are not comfortable you may know someone who could do it for you, or pay the extra to Apple.

jade

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2003
James Craner said:
Installing memory in an iBook is fairly easy, but trickier than the Powerbook. Take a look at the instructions at the Apple website, which include photo's of how to do it. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=26277

If you are not comfortable you may know someone who could do it for you, or pay the extra to Apple.

The RAM is fairly straight forward, but the airport card and the keyboard make it tricky. I would get someone else to install so you don't mess up your keyboard. On the other hand the powerbooks are 90x easier than the ibooks ( no need to deal with the tricky keyboard.)

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
rdowns said:

Me too, I wondered what it would be like to switch after getting two friends to fix and hearing/seeing their "wows" when I show them the really neat bits of their new machine.

I went home this weekend to sort out mum's (Windows) laptop, which was an absolute chore. It's pretty much sorted now except a printer driver which refuses to install.

AppleMatt

zfreak2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2004
I was talking with my dad and he may know a guy that can do it for me. This'll be nice... Save some money. One question though. Since it is 3rd party RAM, would this void the warranty or Apple Care?

Italchef

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Maple, Ontario
zfreak2004 said:
I was talking with my dad and he may know a guy that can do it for me. This'll be nice... Save some money. One question though. Since it is 3rd party RAM, would this void the warranty or Apple Care?

To the best of my knowledge, if you access only the parts of the machine that are designed to be accessed, there is no problem with applecare or the warranty. Problems occur in cases such as this scenario: I have an iMac and upgraded the ram in the slot that is designed to be accessed. There is another slot that is buried deep in the pod and opening the machine to gain access to that slot would void all warrenties. Accessing the slot under the bottom cover does not. It makes no difference who makes the RAM.

Mick

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
zfreak2004 said:

You don't need anyone to do it for you. The whole things takes maybe 5 minutes, hardly worth the money to pay for an install fee.

On an iBook, you simply unhinge two clips on the keyboard and tilt it back. Remove a clip on the Airport card slot and lift the metal shield. Pop in the RAM. Replace metal shield and clip. Tilt KB back in place and snap it down.

While you might be worried, you should learn how to do these things. It really is simple.

As Apple publishes instructions in the iBook manual to install RAM and Airport cards, it will not void your warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.