I'll be your back-door man (PGP)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Governments are arguing over whether they, or 其他人 (係中国) should have back doors to encryption. The biggest concern appears to be phones and mobile devices, that bad, bad people might be using to coördinate bad, bad activities.

But, really effective encryption is in the wild, in the form of GNU PGP, and Android is a sufficiently open platform that it seems to me the bad, bad people could get good encryption onto their devices with having any concerns about back doors.

But, of course, the government can have lots and lots of encryption, because transparency is a bad thing. I guess.

Initiatives like this have the appearance of constraining innocent/harmless people while not really addressing the fact that the people who want encryption for bad, bad things will get it anyway. And/or combine it with digital steganography to make them even harder to track.

Does anyone think back doors are a good or useful idea?

2. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

By that same logic the government should have a master key to all locks so they can enter your home, vehicle, etc... whenever they want without your permission. I'm of the opinion, if they need access to something then they should get a court order.

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Agreed 100%. You want access get a court order.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Bush didn't care, neither does Obama. its for your safety .....

5. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

If I never hear that excuse again it'll be too soon.:rolleyes:

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Thirded. If the government wants access to my stuff, they better provide a good, constitutionally sound reason for it, and get permission from the courts.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

In the end, computers will allow for fully automated surveillance of citizens their governments, and no government can resist that temptation. The only defence will be system that random generate web traffic that looks suspicious so that the surveillance systems serve up primarily false positives. I expect to see web attacks in which no information is stolen, but web bots are used to flood intelligence services with false information, thereby reducing the chance that the criminal/terrorists messages are intercepted.

9. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/6/8162337/iphone-unlock-border-agents-canada

There goes the tourism industry in Canada :)

10. sim667 macrumors 65816

I would like to be able to just run my iphone through my VPN all the time, out of principle..... but its impracticle :(