I'll bet you wish this guy was your senator

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

So I wrote one of my senators, Sherrod Brown, congratulating him for appearing on Countdown in strong support of the public option. I told him I hoped he would stand by that position, given that others are pushing to hard drop the public option. Here, in part, is his reply:

I attended one of Sen. Brown's presentations on Social Security back in the Dark Years of the Bush administration, and was impressed with him then. Even more so now.

2. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I've been following his career for years. I went to Oberlin and then worked there, and he was my representative before he became your senator ;). Plus, he went to Yale with my mentor and friend, so I met him at her place in Oberlin. :)

I've been happy to see him step further into the national spotlight lately.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Wouldn't mind having him as my other senator, as long as he'd replace Kit Bond and not Claire McCaskill ;)

4. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Looks like a mass form letter, they probably have a positive inbox and negative inbox each with a different message. :D

6. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

I received the same letter after writing him and that Rino, Voinovich about scrapping the whole idea of government run health care. He's nothing special, a Statist that lives off public dollars. A career politician, with a two-year stop in another public trough, college education.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If that's all it takes for a Senator to impress you, you don't scrutinize them very much. I read his reply as complete lip service - he's saying what he feels the majority of people would like to hear, and not really saying much of anything.

I don't know anything at all about his voting record, but if you're happy with his then more power to you. I'd much rather use that as a metric for evaluating a Senator.

8. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

No! Say it isn't so! I thought he read and answered each e-mail personally! :eek:

I take his turning down free government insurance as something more than lip service, though. How many other senators or representatives do that?

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yeah, but for what reason? Some kind of half-a**ed show of solidarity? Please. His refusal of the healthcare provided to him by his employer isn't saving any money in the grand scheme, and the only statement it makes to me is that he's stubborn.

I don't see turning down an employer-provided benefit as a good reason to elect a senator.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- I think it's pretty damn impressive, given that his employer is us. It also tells me he's serious. How many Republicans would turn it down?

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'd say the same thing about a Republican who turned it down - it doesn't make sense to me, and it certainly doesn't sway me with regard to whether I'd want to vote for him.