Illegal Alien Amnesty already failed, remember?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2012
In case anyone is for amnesty, or even against it, here is a reminder that amnesty doesn't work, and any amnesty proposal is a fools errand.

The only concern we should have at this point is closing off that border with the full brunt of american military might and having a zero tolerance policy toward illegals aliens.

1. Immigration and Reform Control Act (IRCA), 1986: A blanket amnesty for some 2.7 million illegal aliens

2. Section 245(i) Amnesty, 1994: A temporary rolling amnesty for 578,000 illegal aliens

3. Section 245(i) Extension Amnesty, 1997: An extension of the rolling amnesty created in 1994

4. Nicaraguan Adjustment and Central American Relief Act (NACARA) Amnesty, 1997: An amnesty for close to one million illegal aliens from Central America

5. Haitian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act Amnesty (HRIFA), 1998: An amnesty for 125,000 illegal aliens from Haiti

6. Late Amnesty, 2000: An amnesty for some illegal aliens who claim they should have been amnestied under the 1986 IRCA amnesty, an estimated 400,000 illegal aliens

7. LIFE Act Amnesty, 2000: A reinstatement of the rolling Section 245(i) amnesty, an estimated 900,000 illegal aliens
More on the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, sign by Ronald Reagan on November 6, 1986

The Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA), Pub.L. 99–603, 100 Stat. 3445, enacted November 6, 1986, also known as the Simpson-Mazzoli Act, signed into law by Ronald Reagan on November 6, 1986, is an Act of Congress which reformed United States immigration law. The act[1]

required employers to attest to their employees' immigration status;
made it illegal to knowingly hire or recruit illegal immigrants;
legalized certain seasonal agricultural illegal immigrants, and;
legalized illegal immigrants who entered the United States before January 1, 1982 and had resided there continuously with the penalty of a fine, back taxes due, and admission of guilt; candidates were required to prove that they were not guilty of crimes, that they were in the country before January 1, 1982, and that they possessed minimal knowledge about U.S. history, government, and the English language.
About three million illegal immigrants were granted legal status through this act.
Anyone that supports amnesty needs their head checked. We've been down this road and it goes no where. Throw them the hell out, and use every means available to keep them out.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
you can't close the border, quit dreaming, we can't even keep drugs out of jail.

remove ALL incentives to be here w/o the proper documentation if you wish to slow down illegal immigration to a trickle.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
The border won't close any time soon. Too many behind the scenes corporations rely heavily on cheap labour to inflate their margins.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
you can't close the border, quit dreaming, we can't even keep drugs out of jail.

remove ALL incentives to be here w/o the proper documentation if you wish to slow down illegal immigration to a trickle.
And to that end we need to…
  • ... get rid of the quotas that restrict how many people can acquire legal status from any given country per year.
  • ... end this war on drugs, which only serves to feed the cartels.
  • ... stop undercutting farmers in Mexico and Latin America with our highly subsidized produce.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2012

Then be ready to amend the The Fourteenth Amendment; originally a constitutional amendment drafted after the Civil so emancipated black slaves would never be denied citizenship by the States.

Take on a more sensible European style citizenship system.

Germany: An exception to the increasing restrictiveness toward birthright citizenship, Germany, prior to 2000, had its nationality law based entirely on jus sanguinis. Now, children born on or after 1 January 2000 to non-German parents acquire German citizenship at birth if at least one parent has a permanent residence permit (and had this status for at least three years) and the parent was residing in Germany for at least eight years.
England: United Kingdom: Since 1 January 1983, at least one parent must be a British citizen or be legally "settled" in the country (see British nationality law)

France: Children born in France (including overseas territories) to at least one foreign parent who is also born in France automatically acquire French citizenship at birth. Children born to foreign parents may request citizenship depending on their age and length of residence (see French nationality law).
No more anchor babies if you want to deter people from coming here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli

http://www.arizonadailyindependent.com/2013/09/30/u-s-one-of-two-countries-offering-birthright-citizenship/

Developed nations that OFFER birthright citizenship: (2) Canada, United States

Developed nations that DO NOT OFFER birthright citizenship: (39)
Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bermuda, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holy See, Hong Kong, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom - See more at: http://www.arizonadailyindependent.com/2013/09/30/u-s-one-of-two-countries-offering-birthright-citizenship/#sthash.d11ax5EN.dpuf

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
In case anyone is for amnesty, or even against it, here is a reminder that amnesty doesn't work, and any amnesty proposal is a fools errand.

The only concern we should have at this point is closing off that border with the full brunt of american military might and having a zero tolerance policy toward illegals aliens.

More on the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, sign by Ronald Reagan on November 6, 1986

Anyone that supports amnesty needs their head checked. We've been down this road and it goes no where. Throw them the hell out, and use every means available to keep them out.
Immigration is a matter of demographics. The birthrate in Mexico was 2.27. The economy continues to improve and migration to the USA is currently zero. As many Mexicans are moving back to Mexico as are arriving here.

The largest group currently trying to gain entry is from Central America and only four countries have birth rates above 20.
Guatemala 26 2012
Belize 26 2012
Honduras 25 2012
Haiti 24 2012
All other Central American and Caribbean countries have birth rates below 20. The US birthrate is currently 6.3. Replacement birthrate is 22.

It might take another decade and a half but in all reality, net migration from south of the rio grande will almost disappear by 2030. Sending them back to repressive countries where women have no rights, birth control is too expensive or non-existent will only exacerbate the problem.

Reagan's amnesty was a losing proposition because the birth rate in many of the same countries hovered around 40.

Spending a trillion dollars on the border only enriches the wealthy and turns Americans even more inward. I don't see the point.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2012
Immigration is a matter of demographics. The birthrate in Mexico was 2.27. The economy continues to improve and migration to the USA is currently zero. As many Mexicans are moving back to Mexico as are arriving here.
I don't care. Most Americans don't care. If you are illegal, you have no business here.

I don't care if 100% of the illegals vacate. One illegal is an illegal too many.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I don't care. Most Americans don't care. If you are illegal, you have no business here.

I don't care if 100% of the illegals vacate. One illegal is an illegal too many.
Then tell your representative to stop ****ing over their country.

noodlemanc

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Australasia

Why? Many of those who come to the U.S would be a lot more hardworking than many Americans.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
People aren't "illegal". Actions are. If you've been so caught up in the politics that you've begun to term people "illegal" you've lost objectivity altogether. Remember you are talking about your fellow man. People just like you.

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas

This. I've seen way too many of them having children and being approved for assistance because the children are technically citizens when born here. I think we've got a huge battle on our hands honestly. Add this issue to the welfare, job market, tuition costs, health-care dilemma, etc....

----------

Why? Many of those who come to the U.S would be a lot more hardworking than many Americans.

I'd work harder if I wasn't forced to give more in taxes just to end up the same. If I were paid under the table, you're darn right I'd hustle for all I could get.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009

Well I care. Many of illegals are coming from places where that have two choices, join a gang or be victimized. Places like Honduras that many kids have no way out from danger but leaving. Then you have those who need employment to feed their family. If you think the 1 vs 99 percentage contrast is huge in America, it's even a bigger contrast in Mexico.

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas
Well I care. Many of illegals are coming from places where that have two choices, join a gang or be victimized. Places like Honduras that many kids have no way out from danger but leaving. Then you have those who need employment to feed their family. If you think the 1 vs 99 percentage contrast is huge in America, it's even a bigger contrast in Mexico.

I think if they go through proper channels and come here to better their lives, that's great. What I don't think is great is when they bring that dangerous culture with them and unleash it here. Come over here and work! Just don't do it illegally and leave me holding the bill of $250+ per check in taxes that I could use to better my OWN life.... I'm terribly depressed when I see people who have food stamp cards, WIC, and other programs who have a better life than I do.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

Once you figure out the logistics of kicking out over 11 million people, tell me.

Ai-apple

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2013
I feel bad for those people who are going through the legal ways. US is rewarding those who are not playing by the rules.

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas
I feel bad for those people who are going through the legal ways. US is rewarding those who are not playing by the rules.

That's very true. They make it hard on the ones who want to do the right thing and reward the ones who don't.

If you can break the law and get away with it the easy way or follow it and struggle, it's obvious why they choose what they do.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
The majority of those who take the legal route are sent back home unless they are a child. The biggest problem is illegals are sent free with a court date which can be months later, too many never show up.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Is it any more missed than they way you ignored and dismissed his valid point?
Except he doesn't have a valid point. He's saying he "feels bad for the people following the law because others don't". That's a horrible way to look at it.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
Except he doesn't have a valid point. [...] That's a horrible way to look at it.
Why is his point not valid ?
What's the right way to look at it ?

He's saying he "feels bad for the people following the law because others don't".
Did you intentionally shorten his comment ?
Because it seems to me, your abbreviated comment does't reflect the OPs intention.

-t

Bug-Creator

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2011
Germany
If you go through legal ways you are either:
- turned away before entering the country, either sparing you the trip or giving you the illegal option, no loss here.
- accepted, you can now not only enter the US at the cost of a normal plane ticket, but can also apply for any given job (well except president that is :p ) without fear and live a normal US lifestyle, big advantage over any illegal I'd say.

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
In case anyone is for amnesty, or even against it, here is a reminder that amnesty doesn't work....
In the real world....

1) we have amnesty already. It's not official but is just the way things are. People are hear. they are working they are buying things and renting apartments and going to work. This is not going to change. Accept it.

2) You can' close a border then goes all the way around the US. It is to big. It is physically impossible. What next, maybe you ask that the government prevents drugs from coming in? It is not going to happen.

3) even if possible there is zero political will to change. To many people LIKE the current situation. Anyone who runs a farm likes it, All these people have jobs and their employers (typically Republicans) want to keep their employees.

So your best an ONLY option is to figure old how to handle what you can not change.

Personally I just don't see a problem. If people are drawn to some place because of economics then that means there is a need or them. It is self balancing.