Illegal Alien Amnesty already failed, remember?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Technarchy, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

In case anyone is for amnesty, or even against it, here is a reminder that amnesty doesn't work, and any amnesty proposal is a fools errand.

The only concern we should have at this point is closing off that border with the full brunt of american military might and having a zero tolerance policy toward illegals aliens.

More on the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, sign by Ronald Reagan on November 6, 1986

Anyone that supports amnesty needs their head checked. We've been down this road and it goes no where. Throw them the hell out, and use every means available to keep them out.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you can't close the border, quit dreaming, we can't even keep drugs out of jail.

remove ALL incentives to be here w/o the proper documentation if you wish to slow down illegal immigration to a trickle.

3. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

The border won't close any time soon. Too many behind the scenes corporations rely heavily on cheap labour to inflate their margins.

4. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

And to that end we need to…
    • ... get rid of the quotas that restrict how many people can acquire legal status from any given country per year.
    • ... end this war on drugs, which only serves to feed the cartels.
    • ... stop undercutting farmers in Mexico and Latin America with our highly subsidized produce.

5. Technarchy thread starter macrumors 604

Technarchy

Then be ready to amend the The Fourteenth Amendment; originally a constitutional amendment drafted after the Civil so emancipated black slaves would never be denied citizenship by the States.

Take on a more sensible European style citizenship system.

No more anchor babies if you want to deter people from coming here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli

http://www.arizonadailyindependent....wo-countries-offering-birthright-citizenship/

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Immigration is a matter of demographics. The birthrate in Mexico was 2.27. The economy continues to improve and migration to the USA is currently zero. As many Mexicans are moving back to Mexico as are arriving here.

The largest group currently trying to gain entry is from Central America and only four countries have birth rates above 20.
    All other Central American and Caribbean countries have birth rates below 20. The US birthrate is currently 6.3. Replacement birthrate is 22.

It might take another decade and a half but in all reality, net migration from south of the rio grande will almost disappear by 2030. Sending them back to repressive countries where women have no rights, birth control is too expensive or non-existent will only exacerbate the problem.

Reagan's amnesty was a losing proposition because the birth rate in many of the same countries hovered around 40.

Spending a trillion dollars on the border only enriches the wealthy and turns Americans even more inward. I don't see the point.

7. Technarchy thread starter macrumors 604

Technarchy

I don't care. Most Americans don't care. If you are illegal, you have no business here.

I don't care if 100% of the illegals vacate. One illegal is an illegal too many.

8. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Then tell your representative to stop ****ing over their country.

9. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Why? Many of those who come to the U.S would be a lot more hardworking than many Americans.

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

People aren't "illegal". Actions are. If you've been so caught up in the politics that you've begun to term people "illegal" you've lost objectivity altogether. Remember you are talking about your fellow man. People just like you.

11. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

This. I've seen way too many of them having children and being approved for assistance because the children are technically citizens when born here. I think we've got a huge battle on our hands honestly. Add this issue to the welfare, job market, tuition costs, health-care dilemma, etc....

----------

I'd work harder if I wasn't forced to give more in taxes just to end up the same. If I were paid under the table, you're darn right I'd hustle for all I could get.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Well I care. Many of illegals are coming from places where that have two choices, join a gang or be victimized. Places like Honduras that many kids have no way out from danger but leaving. Then you have those who need employment to feed their family. If you think the 1 vs 99 percentage contrast is huge in America, it's even a bigger contrast in Mexico.

13. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I think if they go through proper channels and come here to better their lives, that's great. What I don't think is great is when they bring that dangerous culture with them and unleash it here. Come over here and work! Just don't do it illegally and leave me holding the bill of $250+ per check in taxes that I could use to better my OWN life.... I'm terribly depressed when I see people who have food stamp cards, WIC, and other programs who have a better life than I do.

14. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Once you figure out the logistics of kicking out over 11 million people, tell me.

15. Ai-apple macrumors regular

I feel bad for those people who are going through the legal ways. US is rewarding those who are not playing by the rules.

16. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

That's very true. They make it hard on the ones who want to do the right thing and reward the ones who don't.

If you can break the law and get away with it the easy way or follow it and struggle, it's obvious why they choose what they do.

17. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Why? Do you feel bad for the people who bought a Macbook every time one is stolen?

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

The majority of those who take the legal route are sent back home unless they are a child. The biggest problem is illegals are sent free with a court date which can be months later, too many never show up.

19. Ai-apple macrumors regular

I hope you are rewarding your kids when they went out and steal someone's Macbook.

20. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Wow, it's like you completely missed my point. Congratulations.

21. Gutwrench Suspended

Gutwrench

Is it any more missed than they way you ignored and dismissed his valid point?

22. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Except he doesn't have a valid point. He's saying he "feels bad for the people following the law because others don't". That's a horrible way to look at it.

23. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

Why is his point not valid ?
    What's the right way to look at it ?

Did you intentionally shorten his comment ?
    Because it seems to me, your abbreviated comment does't reflect the OPs intention.

-t

24. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

If you go through legal ways you are either:
    - turned away before entering the country, either sparing you the trip or giving you the illegal option, no loss here.
    - accepted, you can now not only enter the US at the cost of a normal plane ticket, but can also apply for any given job (well except president that is :p ) without fear and live a normal US lifestyle, big advantage over any illegal I'd say.

25. ChrisA macrumors G4

In the real world....

1) we have amnesty already. It's not official but is just the way things are. People are hear. they are working they are buying things and renting apartments and going to work. This is not going to change. Accept it.

2) You can' close a border then goes all the way around the US. It is to big. It is physically impossible. What next, maybe you ask that the government prevents drugs from coming in? It is not going to happen.

3) even if possible there is zero political will to change. To many people LIKE the current situation. Anyone who runs a farm likes it, All these people have jobs and their employers (typically Republicans) want to keep their employees.

So your best an ONLY option is to figure old how to handle what you can not change.

Personally I just don't see a problem. If people are drawn to some place because of economics then that means there is a need or them. It is self balancing.