Illegal Immigration

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Wotan31, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

Yes, the problem of illegal immigration. I don't think it will ever be properly addressed, by either party. Mostly because there is no good solution. It's been discussed many times before here I'm sure, but just wanted to share my thoughts on the issue.

Democrats are against the anti-illegal immigration measures. But the dems are also supposedly the "working class" people's party. Aren't illegal immigrants the ones taking all the manual labor "working class" type of jobs? So shouldn't dems be very opposed to them, rather than wanting amnesty and social programs to promote it?

Republicans are also against the anti-illegal immigration measures. A steady supply of illegal immigrants willing to work for minimum wage or less is good for business. It keeps the average wages low and ensures a steady supply of workers for industry.

So neither party it seems is inclined to do anything about it. They pay lip service to it, make a big fuss about it, but really neither party is going to put major changes into effect at the national level.

The Border Patrol does an amazing job and their boss wants them to fail. Imagine such a thankless job. The problem is that they can't use force and there are no consequences for repeat offenders. If you're trying to get into the US, you have nothing to lose by trying and trying again until you succeed. You won't go to jail, won't get shot at, won't get manhandled and you just have to make it north of I-8 or I-10 and then you're safe.

The problem IMO with immigration today, is that it's a very different thing than it was 100 years ago.

Immigrants that came here 100 years ago from Ireland or Russia or China or wherever got on the boat knowing it was a one way trip. They left everything behind to start a new life here.

That's a completely different concept from the immigrants coming from Central America today, who call their relatives on the phone in Mexico and Guatemala once a week, wire money home every time they get paid, and generally still consider their native country as "home". If they screw up here in the US, get a DWI and kill someone, oh well, f*ck it, they'll just skip trial, hop back over the fence and go back where they came from. They're not fully vested in "becoming an American" and have no interest in becoming a citizen. They're like college kids on Spring Break, only this party is about jobs and money.

That's the attitude of half of the illegals here today. The other half are very honest hardworking people who want to have a new life here. They've got a family and kids and they WANT to become legal citizens. These are the kinds of people the US needs. It makes sense to give them that (to me at least) but then that brings up the touchy subject of amnesty!

Giving amnesty to all of them is a very bad idea, plus it just encourages more illegal immigration. Can't deport them all either, that would screw over a lot of businesses as well as a lot of good honest hardworking families. So how do you only give amnesty to "some" of them? The "desirable" ones who truly are here for a new life and want to work within the system?

Seems like an enormous challenge and one that cannot possibly be solved in the foreseeable future.

2. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

You are looking at the history of immigration through rose-colored lenses and making statements that are patently false.

Remittance is not a new phenomenon when it comes to immigration. Irish-Americans sent huge amounts of money and goods to Ireland throughout the history of Irish immigration to the United States.

A major theme of Italian immigration to the United States was the transient nature of immigrants. Single males would travel to the United States, work, and routinely return once an agricultural season ended or an industrial job ceased to exist.

All "traditional" ethnic groups in the United States continue to have political lobby mechanisms in government from local to the federal level and at times have constituted important voting blocs.

It's quite a bit more complicated than the generalizations I have made, but my point is that despite new technologies that have improved communication and travel, the fundamental problems associated with immigration are as old as the United States.

Immigration and assimilation are messy processes and I am certain that if you were present 100 years ago you would be making similar claims about the so-called "good" immigrants who eventually did assimilate.

The fact also remains that the United States has always been and will continue to function as a "graveyard" of foreign languages.

Is illegal immigration a problem? Yes. This points you bring up here, however, are not particularly relevant.

3. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

immigrants come to the US to make more money then they could in their home country and to escape any sort of persecution/political issues if any. thats it.

your whole notion of "becoming an American" (which apparently to you means cutting off ties and not supporting their family overseas) is silly and ridiculous.