Illinois Governor Arrested on Corruption Charges

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Dec 9, 2008.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow, it will be interesting to see how this all works out.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28139155/?GT1=43001

2. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

It is stating the obvious, but wow what a dirty business politics is. I really wonder how people can sleep at night, no matter how expensive their sheets are.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I was going to post this earlier, but the forums were down. Thank god they finally nailed this guy! He's quite possibly the worst governor we've ever had. Here's hoping there's a nice, long jail sentence involved.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

5. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Since May (off the top of my head):

Spitzer
    Detroit mayor
    Illinois governor
    last week - our (Birmingham - largest city in Alabama) mayor was arrested by the feds on a 101 count indictment

Crazy.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Blagojevich has had this coming almost since the day he took office. The guy's an a**. I can't believe it took this long. Now, if they could just get Daley too.

7. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

You know the right wing wackos are going to somehow connect this to Obama.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well- that's a given, even though it really has very little to do with him.

9. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Actually Obama may have had something to do with this :

"The FBI affidavit alleges that Blagojevich also sought promises of campaign cash, as well as a cabinet post or ambassadorship in exchange for his Senate choice."

Perhaps the transition team caught wind of him trying to get a position with the Obama team and snitched on him.

10. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Because Obama put him up to all of this! Come on, you should know that.

Actually, I haven't heard of the guy before. Of course, I live more down south.

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i would love to see them get Daley, but scared at the same time. he is so entrenched in chicago politics it'd be a bit crazy once he was gone. but probably for the best. but hes been doing this longer than rob and he learned from his dad, didn't he?

12. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

If the right wing whackos are going to do that, what are the left wing whackos going to do in response? It will be a whacko fun fest. ;)

13. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Maybe someone who is older than me can help me out here because I sure don't remember the last time we had a governor in Illinois who wasn't investigated for something...

14. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

The strange thing about it all is, these folks are relatively intelligent people that have spent their careers in politics, the chance of not getting caught at something like this must be relatively high if Governor's risk this sort of thing. How much of this goes on that never gets rooted out one wonders?

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This guy was so brazen. WTF is wrong with these people?

According to the statement, Blagojevich is alleged to have discussed obtaining:

a substantial salary for himself at either a non-profit foundation or an organization affiliated with labor unions

a spot for his wife on paid corporate boards, where he speculated she might garner as much as $150,000 a year.

promises of campaign funds -- including cash up front.

a Cabinet post or ambassadorship for himself.

Blagojevich, Harris and others are also alleged to have withheld state assistance to the Tribune Company in connection with the sale of Wrigley Field. The statement says this was done to induce the firing of Chicago Tribune editorial board members who were critical of Blagojevich.

16. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Tons of it, I have no doubt.

Blowjobovich (as he is affectionately known in my house) has had this coming for a looooooong time, though. He hasn't really tried not to get caught.

17. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

What I'm wondering is if he'll be made an example of or just walk away with a slap on the wrist...

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

He's facing some hefty jail time; he better not walk away with a slap on the wrist.

Like abiyng, I think this guy's had it coming to him for a long time. His arrogance is well-known, so much so that even his own party can't stand him. Good riddance, I say.

19. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

For anybody who might be interested here is the complaint in PDF.

Link

20. mrtune macrumors 6502a

This guy has been under investigation for quite some time. We must have some of the crappiest voters on the planet here.

He is serving his second term. Apparently no one care that the feds were looking into him for being a corrupt bastard, and voted him in a second time.

Daley is another one. He needs to go too. The city of Chicago taxes us on everything! Even water! I believe we also have the highest sales tax in the nation (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

For the first time, I'm embarrassed of the state I live in. It's continually run by a bunch of looneys. How they keep getting voted in, I'll never know.

21. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

So I just finished reading (most) of the complaint, and one good thing is that Obama seems to have kept his nose out of it.

For those of you just tuning in, Blagojevich was seeking personal gain not just from those interested in the vacant senate seat, but from the president-elect himself in return for appointing who Obama thought was best.

22. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Amazing! The article actually put his (non-Republican) party affiliation down. And I thought Republicans were the only politicians who were corrupt!

23. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I think you'll find all politicians are to some extent corrupt.

24. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

My point exactly.

25. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Not the ones who love Jesus.

Or, wait, I think I have that backwards...