Illinois Legislators Introduce Bills To Legalise Recreational Cannabis

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Mar 27, 2017.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Good on them! They finally got something right there. Of course they're touting the tax benefits, (which Illinois is desperately in need of) as a primary reason. But there's a grow your own clause in it, too, so that might negate the tax aspects of it. My thought on it is that pot should be regulated and taxed like tomatoes grown in your back yard. Not at all.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleade...-lawmakers-move-to-legalize-recreational-weed

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Good for them. As long as you don't have pot needles littering the streets it should be legal every where.

3. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

It will happen. Illinois not tax something? lol

4. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Fortunately, it's not too long a drive to Illinois from my house.

5. chown33 macrumors 604

Logic win.

6. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Just remember 4473 Question 11e.;)

7. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Oh Texas... Any day, really.

Only thing is that each state that legalizes it gets an influx of people. Cost of living increases while jobs run out.

Everyone just needs to legalize it so we can all stay in our respective states!

8. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

I figure I can get around 5 pot injections per needle, after that I throw them away in a open biohazard container next to my kids toy box. They know not to stick their hands in it though.

9. jerwin macrumors 68000

Not needles, but definitely pot stickers.

10. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

It was always going to come down to that, wasn't it. Everything about it is rooted in money. Illegal monies from illegal trade. Legal monies from medical marijuana. Now jacked up legal revenues from recreational pot.

I don't suppose they mean to earmark any of it for related research, like whether it's a gateway drug, what to do about pot smokers who think they can drive stoned and so forth. Sigh. For all the good it may do in ditching hopeless parts of "the war on drugs" --- like thinking busting people will suppress the desire to make money the only way some people know how to make it-- there seem offsets that are as troublesome as the ill effects of the illegal trade.

But in some ways it's like shoveling sand against the tide to try to keep it illegal. I'm not a fan. I know too many young people around here who smoked pot in high school and have turned out to be major underachievers ever afterwards. You could see them changing before your eyes. YMMV and I know anecdotes don't count for much unless someone stacks them up into a database...

I wonder what the effect on legalizing recreational marijuana is on imported pot and border checks and all the networks of pot dealers from coast to coast as legalization spreads. Do they up their game by becoming licensed dealers or do they try to keep selling it like untaxed cigarettes, out the trunks of cars and in alleys.

Local cops are probably wondering that too. Hell their whole homebrew databases of snitches and dealers could become worthless overnight if those crews can get licensed. How weird that the federal government now is charged with rolling back "overly rigorous licensing rules" while in Illinois state legislators want to license pot dealers... presumably according to some criteria that may at least filter out past known criminal dealers?

11. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

12. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Illegal pot is far more stupid then legal pot. Yes pot is still a drug and yes people can still be harmed by it but in terms of severity of drugs, pot is far more harmless then practically every other drug. Even with that, you'ed have to be a complete fool to think the current course we've been on for the last 70 yrs has worked and shouldn't be changed.

People like you are stuck in an endless loop of "pot is bad", unable to provide even a remotely sensible counter argument. Luckily views like yours are going the way of the dodo bird.

13. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Your brain is going the way of the dodo if you keep smoking pot. It damages your brain and is full of carcinogens. It severely impairs your judgement. There are 0 health benefits.

How's that for an argument?

Puff puff pass, right? :rolleyes:

14. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Medical research disagrees with you on health benefits. And I already said it's still a drug, meaning there are still negative effects that can arise from it. With that, there has never been a case showing that pot has ever caused lung cancer. And while there is science supporting that youths who smoke can show signs of slower growth in brain development, older smokers haven't shown deterioration issues in that area. And yes judgement can be impaired when smoking but the effects also are shorter compared to other drug use.

The fact remains, marijuana use is still far less harmful then both current legal and illegal drugs out there today. Marijuana is also not going away, ever, period. The amount of evidence showing the harmful effect of illegal marijuana on society vastly outweighs the negative aspects of legalizing it.

So all you're doing is repeating old talking points that have lost it's value as such over recent years for a more modern approach to sensible changes to the old status quo. That status quo that's been proven time and time again to be a failure of a view and towards society.

15. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

I'll drink to that. ::cheers::

16. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I think there's enough room in scientific literature to argue for diversion of some of the revenue into research and treatment of addiction, including gateway drug issues.

17. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

The true gateway to other drugs is the drug dealer. They are the ones to push other drugs on to their customers. Legalization takes the street dealers out of the equation. You take the dealers away, you're essentially left with is peers that push other drugs.

18. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

In all honesty the gate way drugs are those prescribed by your Dr. in your medicine cabinet. This is why we're having such a huge heroin epidemic. You can't watch five minutes of TV without some pharma company pushing pills for stuff people didn't even know they had.

I think it's great that they're trying to legalize it. I might even go as far as saying that it could potentially help curb some of the street violence that plagues the inner city.

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

And there's nothing stronger than a push from your best buddy, right?

I see no reason not to research how that works out for those who may be vulnerable to drugs addiction, how to use that peer pressure to divert vulnerable populations away from substance dependence to someting else that makes them feel better about themselves. Not everyone can handle the effects of marijuana. Not everyone will say getting stoned on pot is enough of a mood change. Not everyone who says yes to pot gets it that saying yes to some designer drug is any different, until they find out it is, and they're hooked or dead.

We already know our brains don't finish developing until we're around 25, particularly with respect to development of judgmental capabilities, and they certainly react differently (and adversely) to use of alcohol before that age. As far as I know it's not fully determined yet whether that argument holds up for marijuana use by young adults or kids in their late teens.

Anyway my argument to a legislator would be to reserve some of the loot from taxing legal pot for research and addiction treatment. Especially since the feds under Trump seem determined to ditch that kind of funding even for opiate addicts. Maybe they can tell themselves feel-good stories at night about how they offset that evil Trump admin's heartless disregard for red state opiate addicts among the left-behind.

Personally I can't wait for the day kids realize adults just rip them off by pitching drugs at them 24/7 whether they're hangover remedies or opiates. I love it seeing guys around here out jogging at 6am and coaching little league ball after work... no pot needed for them to get high off life. I wish that discovery could be peer-pitched as easily as is the idea of feeling better through pot, booze, prescription and "designer" drugs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a temperance marcher or anything of the sort. I only want choice to be an option for people before they find out they already chose something that has taken away their ability to choose more of what life has to offer them. I've made friends with some people who really put their brains in hock to pot and other drugs in their youth and still struggle to catch up to their full potential, some realizing they never will. That's not something I try to sell to friends of mine who do acknowledge use of pot and consider themselves recreational users. They are adults. I'd probably try to dissuade a kid, but not directly. I advocate for substance abuse prevention education in schools. It's not magic but it underwrites conscious choicemaking about drugs and alcohol, and that awareness is all I really ask for.

20. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

To all you stoner losers, if you want to smoke pot like an idiot then you should forfeit your right to healthcare that isn't paid for 100% out of your own pocket. I shouldn't have to subsidize your wreckles behavior.

21. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Maybe.... I'm gonna have to come around to that way of thinking, I guess. There's bipartisan legislation coming up, or maybe up now, that decriminalizes pot at the federal level. I only wish for there to be funding for addiction research and treatment. If they stop busting people then maybe that money saved can go for such purposes instead. But, I doubt it. They'll probably just further militarize police departments so they can do SWAT team house takedowns for meth labs and designer drug productions with any spare change from not making street busts for pot.

22. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Two points. As for it being a gateway drug, it is no more than alcohol. Also, if it were legal, there would be no reason to know a drug dealer. Remember they used to call them pushers for a reason. "Sorry kid, out of weed, how about some Molly?"

As for the driving, while not excusing it, I would rather have stoned drivers than drunk drivers on the road. Pot does not affect judgement like alcohol does. If fact, someone who is stoned will realize it and be more cautious (not that it will matter as their reflexes will be compromised), but they will not feel 10' tall and bulletproof.

And no one has ever OD on pot.

For every knock on pot, there is at least an equal for alcohol.

No mind altering substance is. But alcohol is worse, and legal.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 28, 2017 ---
    1) Edibles. No smoke, no carcinogens.

2) It does not impair your judgement like alcohol does. Not even close.

3) One day there are going to be enough studies proving the medical benefits and society in general is going to say a collective WTF? about why it was banned.

23. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

You really are incapable of having an actual adult conversation about this arent you? I would say try to offer up a better solution then the current downward spiral we've been in over the last 40 yrs or so but you clearly don't have any original view points of your own as you resort to petty stoner loser comments and old dead talking points.

I hope the way you feel here is also how you feel about those that drink alcohol and smoke tobacco, cause those been proven many times over to be far more damaging to one's self as well as society then marijuana ever has. Let's include those who eat crappy foods to much as well. They do far more damage to the health care system as a whole then us loser stoners. Might as well throw in those that abuse prescription pain meds as well. No reason to leave them out for abusing the system. I guess that leaves one last group of people that abuse the system is poor people, after all they can't afford the over priced health care system either and end up causing a drain on the system over all.

24. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

god made pot it can't be stupid. and the cbd my wife uses does wonders for her pain. it has helped my daughter after her massive foot surgery. it can work great on measures and many other things. it is not stupid anymore then alcohol is stupid.