Illinois Nazi Wins GOP Nomination In Primary

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Mar 20, 2018.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

I really wish this one was an Onion headline, but it ain't. And actual Nazi won the nomination to run in an Illinois congressional race. The sad thing is that someone in the party likely had the ability to stop him from being a candidate and they failed to do it. (I used to be a county party secretary and I had to sign off on any candidate wishing to run. No signature, no candidacy). Thankfully the district he's running in is heavily blue, so he's unlikely to win the race.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...ins-gop-nomination-in-heavily-democratic-seat

2. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

He won’t win the general. It will likely hurt the GOP if his name gains national attention.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 20, 2018 ---
    Money is a big thing. If they think he’ll lose, they’ll let him go and spend money elsewhere. IL Governor race is shaping to be as costly as a presidential campaign.

3. 0007776 Suspended

He ran unopposed in a district the GOP has no chance of winning. It’s bad PR, but in the end it probably wasn’t worth it to the rest of the GOP to fight his candidacy when he’ll be gone in November.

4. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

Unfortunately for the GOP, there was no way to stop him as he learned how to avoid technicalities that they used to kick him off the ballot in the past. This nutcase has run so many times, he just wants the publicity and he's getting it.

5. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

6. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Time to call Jake and Elwood:
    (F-bomb warning!)

7. AsherN macrumors 6502

I'm not quite sure what's more disturbing. That the party could not stop him from running under their umbrella, or that given that an actual Nazi was running, that they could not find anybody to oppose him.

Maybe it's a given that the Dems will win that seat, but FFS, if only for optics, get the kid in the mail room to clinch the nomination.

8. IWantItThatWay Suspended

IMO I disagree. Even the smallest things can be dangerous - see The War of the Worlds for example. They should have fought his nomination at every turn, even if it cost money.

It's not even about winning or losing, but about enabling. This may inspire more racists to run.

9. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

Given the coming Blue Wave and the fact that this is a guaranteed Dem win, the IL GOP didn't want to waste time & badly needed $$ fielding a last minute candidate. Another primary candidate dropped out and he (the nazi) personally gathered signatures, learning after the last time when the State party knocked him off the ballot.

10. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

I thought political parties were private orginazations that could do whatever they wanted in elections. I don’t see why they can’t have an empty slot on the ballet.

11. fatalogic macrumors regular

fatalogic

Regardless of the technicalities you can't have those optics in 2018 especially when people only read the headlines these days.

12. IWantItThatWay Suspended

IMO it's not even about optics. They should have fought this guy's nomination as hard as they could.

13. 0007776 Suspended

Fighting it in a district like that also stands the risk of having bad PR since then there is more of a chance of it being nationally known that he is running instead of how it is now where probably 95% of the country’s population will never know about him.

14. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

It may have been even worse optics if you step in and make this into a bigger show than it already is.

The Illinois GOP have denounced the guy, have called him a Nazi and they’re not backing him financially. I think they’ve done what they need to do in this situation. No need to waste money making an argument that everyone already agrees with.

15. IWantItThatWay Suspended

But that's my point - I don't care about the optics. I care about defeating this guy no matter what it takes. Yes, he will lose the general but he shouldn't be in that situation in the first place.

I couldn't care less about headlines, optics, or anything. To me it's about sending a message.

16. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

But if you’re doing this to “send a message”, aren’t you sort of making it about optics?

Running a candidate just to keep this guy off the ticket costs money/resources and it accomplishes nothing tangible. Obviously the GOP doesn’t want him running with an R by his name, and keeping him off the ticket isn’t going to stop Nazis from being Nazis. So who’s the intended audience for this message?

Seems to me that letting him get publicly humiliated in the general sends a message that is at least as strong as shoving him back into the shadows. And it’s free.

17. IWantItThatWay Suspended

It enables others.

18. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

To step out into the light and get steamrolled?

Personally, I’m all for that. It’s better to out all the people with crappy ideologies so we know who they are.

19. IWantItThatWay Suspended

They won't care - they saw someone else get the nomination so why not them? Hell, that'll even enable them more because the only reason that guy lost was because of his district, not his views.

You gotta stop looking at things from a 2D plane, and look at things in 3 dimensions.

20. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I’m aware of the extra dimension that you’re looking at this through, I’m just not sure that it matters.

You’re correct, Nazis won’t care. They’ll continue to try to gain political influence. Like I said, Nazis won’t stop being Nazis. So the question is, “what should we do about that”.

The seemingly obvious answer is to prevent them from gaining political influence, right? So why does it matter if this guy gets stopped in the primary or in the general as long as he gets stopped?

Let me ask you this. You’re expecting other people to spend money for what amounts to a moral victory. Would you be willing to put up your own money to support a GOP candidate with no chance of winning just to stop this guy from getting on the ticket?

21. IWantItThatWay Suspended

One of the reasons David Duke was able to be so successful in politics was BECAUSE the Republican party didn't go full attack mode on him til it was too late. There's a debate between Duke and Scott Walker about allowing Duke into the debates and Walker was like hell no.

You don't even let them get moral victories. Squash them and send a message.

22. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I grew up in Louisiana and I can tell you that David Duke almost becoming governor had far more to do with the people of Louisiana than any “exposure” that Duke got by being allowed on the ticket.

If someone in the GOP had somehow stopped him cold, nothing would have changed in terms of the climate of bigotry and racism there.

Also, you didn’t answe the question. Are you willing to put up your own money to stop this guy?

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yeah, I would think that Illinois Republicans could dig up a young, inexperienced candidate to run just to give them a slot and give that kid some experience. Letting the literal Nazi win by default is a dereliction of duty and a really sad commentary on the state's Republican party.

And, I think in normal times, this would fuel some soul searching among the GOP.

24. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

Yeah, no! That wouldn't look good for anyone's future. "Vote for me, I lost to a Nazi!!!" :D

The most they could've done is get some sucker with no actual desire for office to run and lose against him. But why? They would lose unless they spent money and resources against him. And this year may be a bloodbath. They're likely to lose the race unless the Dem doesn't something monumentally stupid. I'd hate to be a party leader and have even more loses due to spending resources on a sure lost.

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Ha! That's a good point.