Illinois Parents Reportedly Gave Up Custody Of Their Kids

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jul 30, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/illinois-college-scholarships-034913070.html
    THE PRICE we pay for stupid college is ridiculous .

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

3. LordVic macrumors 603

No Puzzle

the wealthy will attempt to increase their wealth no matter what, even on the backs of those less fortunate that they can abuse to do so.

Just think of the actual poor people who will be passed over for grant/loan so that these liars and cheats can keep a few of their own dollars in hand while taking others money.

IMHO, just as bad as the admissions scandal and each one of these parents should face jailtime

4. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Agreed. I just don't understand people who are willing to do things like this. It defies humanity.

5. LordVic macrumors 603

Sociopathic Social Darwinism believing ninkampoops who think theyj're being "smart" by cheating others.

as I said. they should be behind bars.

6. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I don't think this actually works. My wife's niece was in a situation where her parents (wife's sister) didn't want her to go to college because they both flunked out and thought it was a huge waste of money. So they did nothing to help her to the point of refusing to fill out the FAFSA. She inquired into declaring herself self-supporting and the college advisor who was helping her said that wouldn't work until she was 23.

7. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502a

eltoslightfoot

It doesn’t matter, they cross-reference with the IRS, so it doesn’t matter that they didn’t help her fill out the FAFSA. What the rich are doing is allowing them to get around that by changing ALL related records—including IRS.

8. appleisking macrumors 6502a

“Controversial” that’s called fraud and is illegal. Where are the prosecutors on this?

9. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It's hard to imagine how the 65K/year doesn't set off the outrage.

10. Zenithal macrumors G3

It actually is legal if it following emancipation of a child. Though what puts the nail in is there's still a form of guardianship. However, the state of Illinois said the practice is legal, but the Department of Education is looking into the matter. It's hard to prosecute it if it follows current law. It's not illegal for companies to squander money overseas yet most people, usually liberals, think they should be prosecuted for that. To make it illegal you must enact laws against the so-called crime.

This is pure genius, though.

11. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Yeah, but is some of the need-based aid loans? I worked my ass off so my daughter won't have any loans after college, just like my parents did for me.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, this should be illegal.

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I could never understand why it's the parents' responsibility to fund their ADULT child's education. I think it's wrong to punish a student by withholding aid simply because the parents have money. The student, in many cases, is dead broke.

14. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

Because the kids are dependents of the parents. If the kid, at 18, wants to go out and be truly independent then they can get a job or a loan or student aid. That's fine. This is plain fraud.

15. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Just stop claiming your kids as dependents when they reach 18.

16. VulchR, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

They vex me.

In any case, in Virginia when I was growing up it was possible to file to be an emancipated minor, breaking the link between parents and child. Usually this was due to child abuse. So anybody trying to defend against this is going to have to sort out genuine cases from those exploiting the system. Perhaps fees should be reduced or waived only if child abuse/neglect/genuine disengagement has been proven in court.

17. LordVic macrumors 603

Finite money, so, preference is given to those less fortunate.

Not saying you're wrong. There are lots of circumstances where the current setup is broken and people fall through. Buddy of mine was a 95% student and accepted into a prestigious school. His mom made minimum wage and was the sole upbringer as his father was a deadbeat who ran off. As child support ends at 18, there was no money from him, and he was a decent money earner.

when he went to get student loans, they rejected hi because his parents combined income was too high. His father when asked to help told him to **** off.

He worked 40 hours a week and went to Uni and scraped through living in near poverty the whole time. Fortunately for him, that was 20 years ago when tuition here was only about 7k / year.

Unfortunately for today's youth, tuition has been deregulated to the point where it's skyrocketted into the teens per year, if not 20k+ depending on undergrad. Even working decent wage jobs while studying it's almost impossible to self pay for uni anymore.

18. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Um O started college when I was 17! So You would leave someone like me out?

19. Mousse macrumors 68020

Mousse

When you think of the alternative (your kid never moving outo_O), you'll gladly pay for their education.:p

20. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

If you declared independence at 17 then you would be OK. But parents disowning their children to take advantage is just wrong. Maybe not the legal definition of fraud but it's as close as one could get.

21. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

So what is this door called? If the backdoor is giving a huge donation to a school, a-la Jared Kushner, and the recent side door scandal, is this the bulkhead door?

22. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

Your descriptions are correct. I'm not sure but I don't think the schools are involved. It's just another example of the well-off taking advantage of a system that was set up for people of lesser means.

23. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

A 19-year-old college sophomore is an adult and in many cases has not lived with his/her parents in over a year - but the financial aid system still deems them to be a dependent of their parents, and deems it the parents' responsibility to pay for their schooling.

Yes, kids are dependents of their parents - but adult college students are not. A system that presumes it is the parents' responsibility to fund another adult's education is a flawed system.

24. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

Presumes but does not force. If the parents or the kids don't pay, that's it unless they can get funding. I think the point is that these parents were taking advantage of a loophole so they wouldn't have to pay. Maybe not illegal but it is dishonest. The kind of smarmy thing most people just won't do.

25. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It forces responsibility, it most certainly does.

If the parents have claimed the student as a dependent at any point in the previous two years, then the financial aid institutions STILL call them dependent, even if they've been adults (or even emancipated) for two years.

A student who is 20 years old but who has not seen or spoken to his parents in two years can still be ruled ineligible for aid simply because his parents have money. That is, in no uncertain terms, placing responsibility on the parents. And if the parents shirk that responsibility, there's no recourse for the student.