Illinois Set to Become the 15th US State to Legalize Same-Sex Marriage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Nov 5, 2013.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This one's for you, Lee. :)

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...use-approves-bill-paving-way-for-gay-marriage

BL.

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Woot!! Number 15!! Hawaii's next!

There needs to be a federal ruling on this or there will never be marriage equality.

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Completely agree!

I'm not sure about the "Woot" part...but I'm with you on the rest.;) :D

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The comments on that article are pretty funny, but there isn't any way to reason to with people who quote the bible as their reason for supporting or opposing something. Ignoring the amount of contradiction between the bible and modern society in general, I don't know of a way to really discuss things logically when confronted with theology. Hopefully this is settled soon, as the attempt to deny civil rights to a certain subset of individuals is just a drain on public finances and one more thing that can be invoked as a distraction from other issues.

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Congrats Illinois! I know my state will never see it but I'm glad someones state has!

6. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Isn't there a gay marriage case going to your state Supreme Court soon ?

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

The last I heard was Brian Sims tried to introduce it but a douche shut him down citing "Gods law" and wouldn't let him speak on the floor. Its unbelievable that ******** is allowed to happen.

I know he was supposed to get to speak again sometime in August but I'm not sure what came of that.

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

If worse comes to worst, you can always drive yourself a few miles over here to NJ, we will gladly marry you and your future parter here :)

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I (arrogantly) speak for Massachusetts...we welcome you, too.:D

But I hope you can just get married in Illinois!

10. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

There isn't a lot of marriage on Isla Nublar, is there? A velociraptor would probably ruin it.

11. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Only if you let Newman handle security.

12. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

A little presumptuous aren't you? Be careful what you wish for. There could be a federal ruling on this that doesn't go the way you want it to go.

Personally I think the feds should stay out of it and let the people in each state decide. That way majority rules, the way it is supposed to be, rather than a small group of well funded activists getting the state lawmakers to decide one way or the other.

13. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

How do you figure? It's apparent that the Federal Government is less likely to act. Right now, marriage equality is not recognized by the federal government. Who is going to sign a bill to annul state gay marriage?

Because you know the founding fathers built this country on majority rules.

Majority rules does not protect the liberties of all people. I am, generally, a small government libertarian, but it is necessary that the federal government step in and require that all state and the federal government recognize all marriages. If this does not occur, there is no marriage equality, and a major civil rights issue still exists.

When Mississippi had slaves and New York didn't, there was still slavery in America. When Mississippi has marriage inequality, there is no true marriage equality in the United States.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No one should be denied equal rights because they don't live in the "correct" state, nor should people get to vote on the civil rights of their fellow citizens. If we did that, slavery might still be legal.

15. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

So you are agreeing with me?

You can't protect everything for all people. What about the rights of someone that likes to sleep with young girls? Based on your point, their rights should be protected also. We own land, my husband likes to hunt, why shouldn't he have the right to hunt anything, at any time, in any quantity on his own land? It's laws. Not all laws protect rights.

----------

People vote on the rights of other people all the time.

16. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Sexual intercourse with a person under the age of consent is a felony. Marrying a consenting adult is not. I don't know how you hide your hate behind these baseless, irrational arguments. Homosexuals and heterosexuals should be guaranteed the same rights in the eyes of the law as they are, in fact, the same in the eyes of the law.

17. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Special interests (including lobbyists) are a huge problem at all levels of government. But both parties benefit. How do we remove (or even limit) something when those who have to make a change are incentivized not to?

18. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Say it with me now: "Consenting. Adults."

19. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Good. Roll on the rest. Time we gave everybody equal rights.

20. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Sounds like something that would happen in Iran. Or Saudi Arabia.

Congrats to Illinois for joining the other 14 states in the 21st century!

This is the same thing the south said about slavery. And then voting rights for women. And equal rights for all races. Time for the rest of the country to move forward and stop denying civil rights to American citizens. Any state that doesn't want that should have all federal funding cut off until they comply or leave the union and start their own country, because here, in America, we believe that all men are created equal.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Too bad leekohler is no longer here.

Hawaii and New Mexico are the next states up.

22. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

I remember Lee well. ;)

We got into some rip-roaring debates, but somehow we were always in agreement on firearms issues.

23. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

It made my day when my state (California) passed same-sex marriages into law. The happiness on two friend's faces on their recent wedding day, spoke volumes.

Sometimes it's hard for me to believe it has taken this long to see this law finally pass in states deciding to support the equality. Seeing Illinois now set to join the movement gives me hope more will follow. I doubt it will ever be all, but enough to allow those who want to legalize their same-sex partnership, a chance at legal marriage & all that entails, in a happy life together.

24. EvilQueen, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013

EvilQueen macrumors 6502

You don't even know my views on the matter so don't label me with hate. You are the hater here. I have not defined my views on the matter. All I said was the feds should stay out of it.

In this country the age of consent is different then in other countries.

----------

That's my point. Put it to a majority vote.

----------

Who defined the age of consent?

25. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

States do.