Illinois spends $670,000 on new doors for Capital Building in Springfield?¿?¿?¿?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Gonzo3333, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

I kind of find this absurd. I am not a contractor or anything, but spending $670,000 on 3 sets of doors? I don't see this costing any more than $100,000 to complete this project. I have a feeling some heads are going to roll, it will probably take a few months (kind of like the whole Metra board of directors) to take effect. With the financial state that Illinois is in, we (Illinois residences) need to get to the bottom of wasteful spending.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...itol-renovation-0906-20130906,0,3518116.story

2. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

So you're not a contractor, but you believe the state is overpaying 6.7x for a contractor job.

I'm not a trucker, but I don't see it taking any more than 24 hours to drive from NY to LA. :rolleyes:

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

They spent over $100,000 per door and you don't think they overspent?:rolleyes:

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Most of us who live in reality don't have to be a contractor to know that putting in three sets of doors shouldn't cost as much as two modern houses in that area would.

Must be union contracts...

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Seeing that you don't know a) about the doors being used, b) rationale behind the doors (could be to match the age of the building, etc.), it would be proper to hesitate on making any assumptions about cost, let alone reality, like the comment below.

BL.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Here is a dose of reality for you:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/22/illinois-budget-deficit-w_n_1618469.html

And no I will not hesitate to call out the costs on any set of three doors that cost 670,000 if the tax payers are paying for it.

7. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

This is Illinois we're talking about...

So... 70,000 for the doors and installation.

$600,000 to the pockets of the politicians and their friends.

8. elistan macrumors 6502a

$50 million renovation budget. Half of that used towards "vital health and safety upgrades." I dunno if $25 million is a legitimate cost for "replacing outdated heating, ventilation, electrical and plumbing systems; several pipes had burst in recent years, flooding offices and causing hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage. Changes also were needed to improve stairwells and make hallways compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act." But I do acknowledge the importance of a safe, accessible, etc. building so I won't bother to address that cost.

However, the implication is that the other $25 million is only for cosmetic upgrades (eg, the $670k copper clad wood doors, recreating paintings, massive chandeliers, large office windows...) Regardless of how small $25 million is compared to a $31 billion public works program, $5 billion in unpaid bills, and $100 billion in unfunded pensions, it's still $25 million. It's like filling up a 100 GB drive to capacity - it doesn't happen with one or two 50 GB files, it's a multitude of 25 MB and smaller files. Every $25 million chunk matters. It's $25 million that can't be used for small business grants. It's $25 million that can't be used for something as simple as bills that are due. It's $25 million spent, at tax payer expense, so that lawmakers can have a luxurious, pretty place to go to work.

9. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

$50 Million to restore an old building to it's original state. Meh. Sounds like people who spend $30,000 to restore a vintage VW Beetle to it's $5000 glory. I would rather to spend $10,000 to convert that Beetle in to a Baja Bug.

I would gut the place and retrofit it with all sorts of security systems and hi-tech do-dads.

10. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Nonsense. Them doors are so overpriced it verges the grounds of stupidity. I hope somebody gets fired for such an overspend on something that could have been done so much cheaper.

11. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

It's the government's job to overspend. After all, that's what people voted for.

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

The state capitol building might not be comparable to a house.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois_State_Capitol

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

That's fine and all, but you still have yet to show how this has anything to do with the building and why the characteristics of the building may require such a cost to be paid for the doors.

This however:

Does. So again, jumping to the quick conclusion that their reputation is the problem, let alone union contracts is a far stretch, considering age of the building, use of the building, and that it is still being used after having been built 144 years ago.

Then I suppose you would have gone absolutely crazy when the taxpayer money was spent to build it after it was admitted to the US in the early 1800s.

BL.

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Wood doors coated with copper shouldn't cost that much even when you factor in all other costs associated with it.

15. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

I didn't say the spending was justified, I'm said that the price may have been appropriate for what they got. Are these massive, 12-foot-tall doors?

You'll also note from the article that they're "hefty wood ones coated in glistening copper."

16. elistan macrumors 6502a

They could have also spent a few billion dollars on solid gold doors, and the price would have been appropriate for what they got.

However what they got, in the first place, doesn't appear to be appropriate.

I suspect they could have spent a lot less money if they skipped the copper.

I further speculate that the lawmakers wouldn't feel as special and entitled with only wood doors, however.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Given the budget problems of Illinois they should be looking at something a lot less expensive. But politicians just don't think this way.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How much would handmade solid wood doors cost? With high quality hinges so they last?

That seems like what they should have got.

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

What is the size of these doors? Do they have some sort of fireproof, bombproof quality? Did the hinges need to be replaced/reinforced? What about the locks? Do they have self closing mechanisms in case of fire?

Before I judge, I want more info. Of course for many people its the exact opposite...

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This is my point. We don't know the magnitude of what was needed to make a judgment call on being too expensive of a cost. characteristics of the doors, maintaining age and authenticity of the building, among others may be contributing factors to this. Without knowing that it is premature to call this too expensive, or pointing fingers.

BL.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They probably do need to be fireproof, self-closing and auto-openable for the disabled.

22. elistan, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013

elistan macrumors 6502a

Haven't found anything about what they "could" or "should" cost, but here's one extra bit of detail in the meantime.

http://www.bnd.com/2013/09/05/2781223/critics-say-illinois-capitols.htm

Some comparative costs of restoring bronze doors in NM:
    http://amarillo.com/news/local-news/2013-02-11/cost-climbs-restore-bronze-doors
    Most commercial door companies I can find online want to do a custom quote on a project bid.

All I can find is that Home Depot sells things like "L.I.F Industries 36 in. x 80 in. Flush Gray Exit Left-Hand Fire Proof Door Unit with Welded Frame, Model # UWX3680L" for only $599. :p

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

When your state is so far in the red the tax payers give two ***** about what the characteristics of the building are. Put some wood doors on the ****ing thing and save the tax payers a few hundred thousand dollars.

If you think its realistic to spend $670,000 on a set of doors when your state is under water I can't really begin to explain what is wrong with you.

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Let's see here, before even thinking on the personal attack here.

Authenticity of the door.
    Age of the building.
    Preserving the building.
    Public building: must be ADA compliant.

4 big reasons there, and you're more concerned with blaming union contracts on a set of doors. And I'm the one with a problem?

Secondly, I live in a state that was BILLIONS underwater, yet I know that a lot of projects were approved well before the state went underwater, which the money was already paid out for the project. You really do not know how a state operates. I would say that you should get a job that is contracted to a state, but being an ex-pat living now in Canada, that may not happen.

But I'll digress. Perhaps having a disability isn't good enough to justify such spending. Perhaps you would be better off telling someone like Tammy Duckworth that she is no longer welcome at the State Capitol because you think putting in doors that have to be ADA compliant is too expensive for the taxpayer to pay out.

Seriously, I suggest taking the time to recollect and think that out.

BL.

25. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

According to this webpage, Illinois Capitol Renovations Aim For Historical Look, the doors were part of a two-year long $50-million renovation of the capitol building. The article indicates that the money for the renovation "came from a special construction fund -- not the regular state budget".

The only thing I could easily find online about these bonds was this page from 2011: House Budget Chairman: No bonds this year except for Capitol building. On that webpage House Appropriations and budget Committee Chairman Earl Sears (R-Bartlesville) says that he believes "voters would approve the bonds so that renovations can begin".

As a Illinois residence, do you recall voting on a bond issue for this, probably sometime back in 2012?