Illinois teacher reprimanded for gay slur

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I thought I'd heard it all, but this one really takes it. This happened at a school in our suburbs. The slime should be fired. How this could even be considered remotely OK is beyond me.

A suburban Chicago school board Tuesday night warned, but did not fire, a high school teacher after he admitted to slurring gay black men during class.

Dave Burk, a veteran consumer education teacher at Geneva High School, allegedly made the comments in a lecture on October 5 about tax money and the National Endowment for the Arts.

"How would you feel about your tax dollars going to pay some black fag in New York to take pictures of other black fags?" Burk allegedly asked students.
http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2009/10/14/Teacher_Warned_on_Gay,_Racist_Slurs/

Tower-Union

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
I've always been a little confused by what constitutes a slur. . .

I have homosexual co-workers who are VERY offended by the term "gay" and then I have other ones who are PROUD to be called "gay". (Ironically two of them who both have polar opposite opinions on the matter are dating :rolleyes:). I previously had a male co-worker who referred to himself as a fag (and hated "flamers").

I'm Not defending what this guy said, it was clearly mean't with malice and unnacceptable. I'm just saying I'm not sure things are really set in stone with regard to whats a "slur" and what isn't.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Stuff like that should be zero tolerance in my book. This is a teacher saying this stuff to children. Ridiculous.
It completely shocked me. If I were a parent, I'd be pulling my kid out of that guy's class.

I have homosexual co-workers who are VERY offended by the term "gay" and then I have other ones who are PROUD to be called "gay". (Ironically two of them who both have polar opposite opinions ont he matter are dating :rolleyes:). I previously had a male co-worker who referred to himself as a fag (and hated "flamers").

I'm Not defending what this guy said, it was clearly mean't with malice and unnacceptable. I'm just saying I'm not sure things are really set in stone with regard to whats a "slur" and what isn't.
This was definitely malicious- that's what constitutes a slur.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR

I have homosexual co-workers who are VERY offended by the term "gay" and then I have other ones who are PROUD to be called "gay". (Ironically two of them who both have polar opposite opinions on the matter are dating :rolleyes:). I previously had a male co-worker who referred to himself as a fag (and hated "flamers").

Don't worry, I'm gay and this stuff still confuses me to no end.

Also:
WTF? Reprimanded? That's it. That's it?

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
If I were a union boss, I'd be throwing this guy to the wolves.
Then you'd be considered a bad union boss ;)

It's my experience that unions will protect their employees no matter what they do. I worked at a union grocery store and pretty much the only way to get fired was to be caught stealing. Poor job performance, and in the case of management, treating every single employee like ****, was not enough to get reprimanded.

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I feel so bad for the students who are going to have to continue being in this man's class. I agree with others here in that I'd have my child pulled out of his class quickly and make a vocal appearance at any upcoming PTA meetings the school might hold.

I had a high school teacher who was a slightly more toned down version of this guy. He allowed cheerleaders and other students to get up and ask fellow students to donate money to fundraisers for all kinds of things, but when I did the AIDS walk and asked him if I could ask for money as well, he said he wouldn't let me ask for money for something that "they are doing to themselves". And I had to sit in his class for the rest of the semester.

I wouldn't wish that level of uncomfortable-ness on anyone.

Wotan31

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008

It's my experience that unions will protect their employees no matter what they do. I worked at a union grocery store and pretty much the only way to get fired was to be caught stealing. Poor job performance, and in the case of management, treating every single employee like ****, was not enough to get reprimanded.
x2, yet another reason why unions are obsolete. It's *extremely* difficult to get fired if you are a union worker, no matter how poor your job performance.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
I feel so bad for the students who are going to have to continue being in this man's class. I agree with others here in that I'd have my child pulled out of his class quickly and make a vocal appearance at any upcoming PTA meetings the school might hold.

I had a high school teacher who was a slightly more toned down version of this guy. He allowed cheerleaders and other students to get up and ask fellow students to donate money to fundraisers for all kinds of things, but when I did the AIDS walk and asked him if I could ask for money as well, he said he wouldn't let me ask for money for something that "they are doing to themselves". And I had to sit in his class for the rest of the semester.

I wouldn't wish that level of uncomfortable-ness on anyone.
^^did you think to complain? Not that it would've mattered I suppose. Teacher unions are the worst and will rub their tenure in your face. Termination is what should be done for these teachers.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK

That's sad :(. This guy really needs firing to be honest.

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
^^did you think to complain? Not that it would've mattered I suppose. Teacher unions are the worst and will rub their tenure in your face. Termination is what should be done for these teachers.
I didn't. I was a sophomore and not yet in the mentality to cause waves when it was needed. I just wanted to fade back into the background.