Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netytan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Ok, so im considering buying the Adobe CS suite. I have a 1GHz G4 Ibook, possibly not going to get the best results but ah i can deal with that ;).

What i cant deal with is the Illustrator CraShing. I have a trial version of Illustrator, Photoshop and Golive, no problems with the last two! The problem is i can't even get illustrator to start up. It just ends up crashing on open! And so, what would be a large part of my purchase would be Junk.

Which has me a little un-nerved because if im going to spend over a £K on software it should at least load. So does anyone care to put my mind at rest here, please?

If this isn't a problem with Illustrator then what, maybe Panther or running it on an IBook :eek:

Mark.

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
illustrator cs has never crashed on my g5 and its also never crashed on my powerbook, both running panther. i wouldnt worry about it. somethign probabaly went wrng with the install or its not happy about something. but you cant reinstall right? cos its a timed demo?
mine works fine so i dont see any reason why it wont do the same for you.
hope i helped :D

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Mine never crashes on either of my G4 towers... As far as not getting the best results because you have a 1Ghz iBook- Illustrator is all vectors, and as such, files are tiny, and there is little reason for slowdown on any system. I've been running it on a G4 450mhz and it's as fast as any other system. Photoshop is a different story, but even for that, at 1Ghz you should be fine unless you're dealing with 200mb+ files.

netytan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2004
LOL,

ok, i've never had Suffari crash on me once and its probably the program i use the most :).

Anyway, i only tried installing these things yesterday so i have like 29 days left. But i did try installing Ilustrator a few times with the same result. I could always try and download the illustrator trial? If the trial on this disk is stuffed then that might explain things right?

What do you think? If im gonna get the same result i'd rather not download the file if i can avoid it. But i really need to make sure it works before i bother getting it because that would be a real bummer! Very impessed with Photoshop BTW, not seeing this whole thing about it being slow. Its defiantly no worse than PS7 for Windows :).

Thanks guys,

Mark.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Is this a trial version from p2p, or the actual demo from Adobe?

Apps that crash on startup often have corrupted preference files. Go into your user folder > Library > Preferences and delete the file called com.adobe.illustrator.plist. Then see if the program will start. If not, try repairing permissions in Disk Utility. Illustrator, as you can see, isn't renowned for being crashy.

And don't worry about running it on a 1ghz iBook. Not to be a jerk, but the idea that 1ghz is underpowered for Illustrator is laughable.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Try reinstalling or checking for some 'bad' fonts.
I've had Word crash on startup becuase it didn't like some TTF (windows) fonts installed, though other apps like textedit were fine.

netytan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Horrortaxi said:
And don't worry about running it on a 1ghz iBook. Not to be a jerk, but the idea that 1ghz is underpowered for Illustrator is laughable.

Ah dont worry, dont think your a jerk. Anyway, i was actually talking about the whole CS suite rather than just Illustrator there :). Ill give that a go in the morning.

How do i repair disk permissions, forgive me for not knowing. I got my first Mac a week ago :eek:. Also, i havn't installed any Fonts. Surly the fonts already on Panther will be fine?

Thanks again, night all!

Mark.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
netytan said:
How do i repair disk permissions, forgive me for not knowing. I got my first Mac a week ago . Also, i havn't installed any Fonts. Surly the fonts already on Panther will be fine?
Then its probably installed wrong, or permissions...
Permissions are fixed using disk utility in /Applications/Utilities

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
I have had terrible and similar problems with Adobe's trial versions on my 1 GHz Powerbook.

However, none of the problems have ever been present in the retail versions.

netytan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Horrortaxi said:
Is this a trial version from p2p, or the actual demo from Adobe?

Apps that crash on startup often have corrupted preference files. Go into your user folder > Library > Preferences and delete the file called com.adobe.illustrator.plist. Then see if the program will start. If not, try repairing permissions in Disk Utility. Illustrator, as you can see, isn't renowned for being crashy.

Ok, i downloaded the trial and got the same results. I tried reparing the disk permisions with no luck. I wasn't able to find the "com.adobe.illustrator.plist" file on my system so maybe that is what its not working. Would it be possible for somone to attach a the file so i can try it and see if that would work?

Also, how would i check if i have any bad fonts on my system? I cant remember installing any but its possible that one of the Apps i've installed did.

Thanks,

Mark.

netytan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Hi guys,

I just knowticed that Illustrator is working fine in my test account. But wont run at all in my admin account :S. Any idea why? Also, in my preferences. If i deleted some of the lists would that be ok, because there are some programs in there that i have only used once and some that have been removed.

Mark.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
There's no harm in deleting preferences--especially on apps you don't have anymore. They're recreated the next time you start the application. Sometimes they get corrupted and need to be deleted/recreated. That might be the case with your Illustrator problem. Trust me, your plist is in there somewhere. In Finder, press command f to bring up a search window. Search for "Illistrator". It will bring up a lot of files and one of them will be the plist file. Drag that to the trash and start Illustrator. See if that helps. Based on everything you've posted about the problem it should.

netytan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2004
I did a search of the whole HD for illustrator.plist and nothing. So, i deleted every preference i have (mark>Library>Preferences) tried to start it up and got the same thing :S. Kinda lost and pretty anoyed with it - though this time the GUI actually showed up before it crashed.

Thanks for all your help HT!

Mark.

ioh

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2004
Hi guys,

after reading and reading and reading this thread seems to be the best one to post as I have exactly the same problems! I'm on 10.3 running on a 17'' 1.5 powerbook and..you'd expect everything to be brilliant. Well, apart from the fact that hardly anything seems to work properly (crashes more often than windows, for some sick reason - prolly the fact that it's my first mac) - the thing that really gets to me is this illustrator crash. I've done everything I found on the net - deleted prefs in library, moved to apps folder on system, reinstalled a million times and still NOTHING, NOTHING! I just did that disk doctor thing and it fixed my prefs - tada, I get exactly what netytan does - for the first time the gui appears and then nada, dies. I'm starting to get really desperate about this, as nobody seems to be able to give me a proper answer and I seem to be running out of solutions. Any help would be appreciated. Btw it doesn't give me an error log (or maybe I cant see it) - all it does it appears, says it's loading this and that and then just disappears.
Somebody please help, as any advice would be brilliant.
Cheers

p.s. i just observed that this is an old thread..hope that someone has already found how to fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.