Im 18. NO CREDIT established... I want to CAMP OUT??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMJustAGuy, Jul 10, 2008.

1. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Ok.. last minute decision to camp out for the iPhone... Im 18 and I have no credit. Where will this get me. Can I still get one. and also, what would be the only money i pay today? just the phone plus tax?? bc doesnt activation get included in first bill?? I always do this lol.. I really want the iPhone... i need advice please. Also, I don't have ATT, am I old enough to sign the contract..

2. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

should have asked to get pre-approved. now its a roll of the dice.

3. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

18 is the legal age to sign a contract.

Your credit will hurt you though. I think you have to put a deposit down on the phone if you fail the credit check. That's in addition to the cost of the phone. I don't know how much it is though, but I think it's at least $100, maybe $200. (edit: or more apparently, wouldn't surprise me though)

When I first setup my account (like 6 years ago) I got it setup with my dad. At the time AT&T allowed me to have my account as long as my dad, who has great credit, vouched for me (no cosigning or anything, just said I would be able to pay my bill, more of a reassurance). There was no deposit but I had to send in checks to AT&T every month for 6 months before they would let me pay by credit card (or in my case, a debit Mastercard). It sounds like things have changed, but I know it certainly wouldn't hurt to have an adult with good credit with you.

4. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I KNOW!!!!!! gahhhh... my friend just calledd and was like lets go get the iPhone.. and now I want to... Any other advice anybody?

5. jeremihad macrumors newbie

Can't really say for sure, but if you don't even have a credit card, then you probably can't sign up for a contract (because you have no credit to check so to speak). Or they'll make you pay a very high deposit ($500+)...wait a couple days until everything slows down a bit and go in and find out about your situation.

6. asouns macrumors member

I had the almost the same prob and talked to the att. so the solution is they need 500 bucks of deposit when you sign up the contract.

so prepare yourself the deposit. they may ask you that. but in some case if you're luck, they don't care your credit and sign you up without the deposit.

PS. Dont go to apple store tho.

7. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

just go and hope the deposit isnt that bad

8. liquidh2o macrumors 6502

9. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

i have a debit card??

10. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

I'm sure you can...you just have to qualify for the credit...which isn't likely if you have no credit established.

I know all about not having enough credit...I'm 29 and finishing my degree...not only will my degree help me find a good job, but the student loans to get it should help me establish a good credit history. Every kind of credit I've applied for had to have someone cosign for it since I have no credit. It a real pain the in ass. Establish good credit early...it smooths things out quite a bit.

You'll be able to put the account on that...but that doesn't bypass the credit check by any means.

11. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Your gonna get nailed with a huge deposit if you have no credit history. Best to just wait. There should be plenty of iPhones available in the next few weeks.

12. ottergal macrumors member

A debit card is not credit. Be prepared for a deposit that you will have to pay at the time of activation. However, at 18, you are old enough to get your own account and sign a contract.

13. cgentry macrumors member

I am 18 as well. No credit, no payments, no anything. I went in for my credit check on Monday. $0 deposit. They said, however, that my case was very rare and they usually see people with no credit slammed with a $750 deposit. Like someone else said, roll of the dice. I think i'm going to be leaving soon. Happy camping, everyone!
    Make :apple: Not War.

14. TheFam macrumors member

good luck my good man, although that $500 deposit looks to be in your future

15. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Something else must have factored in to raise your credit score enough to not require the deposit. You probably have credit and don't even know it.

16. jeremihad macrumors newbie

Like was said it's not the same...they want to see that you can assume debts and pay them off.

To give you an idea, I'm 19, have had one credit card for about six months and was approved with $0 deposit. But I pay my card off early in full every month and tend to carry moderately large balances.

17. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I HOPE THATS ME!! shoot.

18. cgentry macrumors member

The only thing I have going for me is a decently well maintained bank account that is two years old... That's all they said could factor in that i actually had.
    :apple: = LOVE

19. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

so i just determined if i get (most likely) a deposite slammed on me...im screwed...

CHEERS TO GOOD LUCK!