"I'm a liberal professor, and my liberal students terrify me"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FrankieTDouglas, Jun 3, 2015.

1. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

http://www.vox.com/2015/6/3/8706323/college-professor-afraid

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't really understand why the liberal students are worse?

3. Happybunny macrumors 68000

IMO this is a aspect of life that has been put under the microscope because of the social media.
    Young people always have thought that the world was against them, and that older people didn’t understand their world and concerns.

But with the advent of the social media everything is made into a hype. Stories get blown out of all proportion. Bad advice is freely given by an uninformed peer group, these stories make the news more nowadays because of the internet.

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I am inherently distrustful of any story that has, as its sub-text, the message that "the kids these days are terrible and we are doomed as a result."

Grumpy old men have been telling this story since Socrates and probably before that too. And yet we manage to somehow avoid the apocalypse.

I will say that I don't think social media, at least in the form of Facebook; Twitter; Snapchat; etc. is a particularly good thing. But I think that society in general has a good way of growing out afflictions like that.

Not working in education I did not find the linked article particularly engaging or even interesting. But the idea that kids have gotten somehow much worse since 2009 seems implausible. The evidence as to these college kids political leanings is scant.

And so we fall victim to yet another plague of the internet age, made more sinister by the lights of perverted science - the annoying clickbait article.

5. sim667 macrumors 65816

Having taught teenagers for nearly ten years I can say that some are astounding in their achievements, and some are not. Im pretty sure this has always been the case.

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I remember when I was eighteen and knew everything. Great days.

7. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Everyone should read the The Underground History of American Education and anything by Gatto.

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Everyo
    Senior Don Gatto?

I think he was a cat.

9. SLC Flyfishing, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015

SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Students these days are pretty entitled. Well actually, people in general these days are. Everybody seems to walk around with this attitude of "I'm going to get mine and everyone else can &*%$ off".

I don't think it's a liberal vs. conservative issue.

That being said, I have seen the following statement in action:

Some of my classmates in Med-school were seriously offended by some comments from another student on facebook that they thought were "insensitive". They were so upset, and our interim Dean wasn't given the permanent job because some students complained so loudly about the way he handled it.

The way he handled it was to have a discussion/open forum with the whole class about the issue, without formally punishing the student.

It was ridiculous. And our new dean has been a bit of a disaster too, so I guess they got what was coming to them.

10. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

and a fat one at that

11. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Why are students entitled? Because leftists took over public education and started pushing the "everyone gets a ribbon" horsesqueeze.

Common Core is doing a bang-up job!

12. VulchR, Jun 4, 2015

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I am a member of the faculty of a highly regarded University. I got two interesting student complaints this year: First, a student complained that they got their lowest marks in my class (on research statistics, ironically). Second, I got a complaint that I did not provide the answers to a problem set before it was due. No, seriously, I am not making this up.

One could equally point at the 'money buys everything' and 'we all in this against each other' attitudes that cranked up when Reagan got elected.

13. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

14. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

We are spending more on public education than ever before, yet kids are dumber. It all started going down hill when the Department of Education was founded.

Look at rat holes like Trenton and Newark (though NJ is unique in its Abbot district scam)... $20k+ per kid yet no results to speak of..

Some kids are just dumb. We'd be better off bringing back trade schools.

15. sim667 macrumors 65816

Source?

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the perfect example of why we have an education problem in this country.

Pigs have nothing to do with this conversation, outside of if they want to chase the aforementioned fat cat.

BL.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

good post.
    we might follow the UK with their "success deferred" BS .
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...hool-No-it-was-merely-a-deferred-success.html

from link.
    poor clueless clowns.

youtube Carlos Mencia "lower the standards" skit.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

try this.
    [​IMG]

19. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

No he’s right you sow a seed, and a female pig is also a sow.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yet another rightie who has no idea what Common Core is. Make a good talking point though, huh?

21. haxrnick, Jun 4, 2015

haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Research. How does it work?

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/you-reap-what-you-sow

A little help for you but we all know how intelligent you are because you let us know at every chance. I'm sure you'll try to come back saying you were joking and that's fine.

Also, I'm sure you already know this too, but they're pronounced differently. ;)

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

When the Conservative party in the UK introduced the national curriculum (which to me sounds the same as common core) standards went up hugely in the UK, even though there were actually government education cuts at around the same time.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.usnews.com/news/special-...014/02/27/who-is-fighting-against-common-core
    its not just a "righty" issue.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I was recently told a story about a grandmother who complained about not being given information about their grandson who was involved with social services - even though she had no right to know.

So it's not just rich over-entitled students who over-complain.

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Common Core is NOT a national curriculum.

Most who are against it have little clue what it is.