I'm a photographer... What are some good choices for CF card readers for the MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xtremeslr, Nov 17, 2010.

1. xtremeslr, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2010

xtremeslr macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I just bought my first MBP after using PC's all my life. I'm still trying to understand everything. For now I'm trying to find a good solution for importing my image files with my CF card reader. I have a Sandisk USB card reader that works fine on my PC but when I try the same reader on the MBP the image files load very slowly.

What are some good choices for CF card readers for the MBP?

I know thatLexar and Sandisck both have a Firewire 800 reader and I'm leaning towards that, they are pricey but might be worth it which will lead into my second question. I transfer my images to an external Firewire800 drive so I would need two FW800 connections to dump the images onto the external simultaneously. Is there an adapter that will give me two FW800 on the MBP?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know any good CF card readers, but Firewire is able to daisy-chain devices and most external enclosures or HDD using FW400 or FW800 have two ports, thus one cable from the HDD to the MBP, the other cable to the CF card reader.

3. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

What MBP did you get? If it's a 17 incher you could get an ExpressCard CF reader, which will be much faster than a FW one.

4. miata macrumors 6502

I have the SanDisk Extreme Firewire unit and it works very well.