I'm a total Apple newbie - and finding it frustrating, to say the least!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rankinmikee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2014
Greetings MacRumors...

I stumbled upon you whilst searching Google for answers to a number of questions I keep hassling my one Applehead friend for help with. Thought I should give the guy a break and jump into a community and do their heads in instead! LOL!

As you probably expect, I know my way around Windows and Android, fairly well, but I've always just had to give up when forced to use Apple products for creative works, since so much of it's interface is so obviously not about productivity and more about prettiness. :)

I'm having to overcome my reluctance to use this gear now since people keep telling me that for a professional finished publication in either music or video - or anything else, I'm sure - I need to get to grips with Mac.

Fair enough, I've seen other people's creations and don't doubt the hardware is pretty hardcore... it's just the layout and operating system basics which pose the biggest threat to my sanity right now....

Sooooo... I hope you don't mind, but I am going to post my unanswered questions in this post and edit it as need be.

I hope this is OK. If people like me get on your nerves then kindly scroll on elsewhere. I shall keep tucked away in here until I'm more confident and then venture out into the forum to find out what you are gossiping about.

Software I am using: OS X 10.9.1 - I believe this is known as Mavericks, despite not seeing this written anyway on this machine. I'm not psychic.

My hurdles - suggestions please!: -

When you click on an app in the Dock and the icon starts jumping up and down and nothing else happens, what are you supposed to do? I right click on it, force quit, and then try again, but it just continues to bounce up and down like a small child demanding attention. LOL

Apparently VOB combining freewares aren't allowed to be installed on Mac because Apple own this machine, not me. Anything created by an unidentified developer isn't welcome. This is how they avoid malware - by censoring a potentially large sector of the software market, like dictators. Steve Jobs AKA Adolf Hitler. LOL

Why can IMovie not open VOB files after they've been ripped from DVD? These are not copy protected files as they are from my own recordings. IMovie is a top notch piece of software to produce high quality media so it will be able to read MKV, VOB, AVI files... It's just a shame these idiots deliberately make it hard to find how to.

How do I install more codecs into all media programs so I can open universal formats? I don't own any media in M4A or M4V as they won't play on most devices.

To use most videos in IMovie, I'm first expected to manually convert the raw files to MP4, so I'm trying to install HandBrakeBatch and getting "“HandBrakeBatch” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer." Um. That's OK, I am giving consent...... So why do I no longer have the option to authorise this installation?

When I completely quit and exit IMovie, why is there still all the clips and garbage from a previous project there when I open it the next time? I would have saved the project if I had needed to keep it, like a normal person.

When you open a big folder of all sorts of different file types, including other folders, is there a way to arrange it all in alphabetical order except with all the sub-folders first, so it's easier to see? I'd like to set this as the default view.

Why must I use Handbrake (which OSX was reluctant to even let me install, since it came from outside) to convert pretty much all of my videos to a lossy MP4 format? Why can Apple not simply get us some codecs to handle MKV, AVI, FLV and MOV etc through ITunes and AppleTV? Is it because this is an inferior operating system? Certainly seems this way. I knew I was being conned. I should have gone with my brain rather than my heart. LOL! Apple will not be getting my endorsement. I shall bad mouth them to everybody looking to downgrade from Microsoft to this terrible brand.

Why can I not do a bunch of administrative tasks with one hand? Why must I remember key combinations in order to get easy work done which should be a case of simply using right click options from a simple menu?

Why are all the options for each app I have open in the far top left rather than on the window itself? I thought Apple were supposed to be intuitive? Why create extra distance? Very unnecessary.

Why can I not simultaneously reformat ("erase") two external hard drives at once? I'm currently reformatting a drive to Mac OS Extended Journaled for a second time but giving it a longer erase since last time I reformatted it, it didn't work properly and lost me a few GB of irreplaceable data which I had put on it, expecting it to be stable - since this is "the mighty IMac". Hopefully this deep clean will fully reformat it so I can lay the recovered data currently sat in a folder on the desktop onto it without it deciding it's not formatted properly again. This is going to take a few hours. Why can I not open a second instance of Disk Utility and do the same to my slave drive? Do I really have to babysit this all powerful machine? What a rip off.

When dragging and dropping a large volume of files from one external hard drive to another, I see no option to automatically rename files if there are existing files in the destination of the same name.
With Windows, it would give me the option to replace or skip the existing files, or rename the newly moved files with " (2)" added to the file name, (before the .extension).
Most importantly, there is a tick box option there to apply this answer to all files you are moving. Very important when you are moving a large amount of files which take your destination device almost up to full capacity.

I can't find any freeware which allows me to mirror one drive to another. Time Machine only seems to create it's own folder structure to store back ups, rather than simply make an identical copy of contents of drive 1 on drive 2.
I use Toucan on Windows. Very straight forward nifty free tool. Highly recommended. However, this appears to not be available for OSX.

Why is the exit button on the top left of a window only actually a minimise button? If I want to close ITunes, for example, why does it keep running after I've clicked to painfully tiny and hard to hit red X button and ITunes has disappeared from view? I then have to right click on the dock icon and right click on quit or force quit. What a palava.

How do you stop ITunes determining gapless playback information on all of your newly imported music, or at least postpone it until the machine is idle?

Why are the minimise, maximise and close buttons on the opposite side of the screen to the full screen button?

Why can't we enlarge or reduce the size of any open work space by left clicking once on the bar at the top of that window? Is there a way around this?

When extracting a RAR or ZIP folder's contents using UnRarX, where on Earth are the files extracting to? LOL! It gets to 100% and I'm not greeted with an open folder of extracted files, it just pretends I never asked anything of it.

Why can I not play my own media via Airplay on AppleTV if my internet router is switched off? Let me guess, it needs to be connected to the ITunes store to determine my habits and interests in order to advertise at me later.

Why does AppleTV struggle to stream me my own digital property if I'm using the internet at high bandwidth simultaneously?

What is the equivalent of Control+Alt+Delete - to bring up a live Task Manger to fully terminate running apps and processes which might be stuck?

What's the key to delete what you've typed after, rather than what you've typed before? Should be pretty obvious but no.

These are just a few of the things which are getting on my tits at the moment. There are plenty more to come, I'm afraid, but as I said, rather than flood the forum, I shall keep them all in here - at least for now. I assume these are true newbie hurdles and you've long since learnt how to configure your machine without giving yourself a stomach ulcer.

I don't want to hear any "it can't do that" replies. This machine cost about seven times the price of a PC which would be able to, albeit far slower.

Thanks for your time. I look forward to your superior knowledge.

Peace.

Last edited:

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
When dragging and dropping a large volume of files from one external hard drive to another, I see no option to automatically rename files if there are existing files in the destination of the same name.
When copying files to a location that has a file by the same name, you will be promoted to skip/stop or replace them, so no there is no way to rename the files.

I can't find any freeware which allows me to mirror one drive to another. Time Machine only seems to create it's own folder structure to store back ups, rather than simply make an identical copy of contents of drive 1 on drive 2.
I use Toucan on Windows. Very straight forward nifty free tool. Highly recommended. However, this appears to not be available for OSX.
There is Carbon Copy Cloner, ChronoSync that will synchronize your drives. You can also use dropbox.

Why is the exit button on the top left of a window only actually a minimise button? If I want to close ITunes, for example, why does it keep running after I've clicked to painfully tiny and hard to hit red X button and ITunes has disappeared from view? I then have to right click on the dock icon and right click on quit or force quit. What a palava.
The red button will close the window, not minimize it. The middle yellow icon will minimize it. For applications (though its not completely consistent) that have a single window like the Mac App Store if you click on the red traffic light button it will close the application.

Why are the minimise, maximise and close buttons on the opposite side of the screen to the full screen button?
They've always been on the left and the full screen feature was recently added - Ask the designers, I'm not sure why.

As for the rest of the questions where you ask why can't you do some task in such a way. You'll need to get your head wrapped around the fact this is not Windows and there are different ways to do things. I'd recommend not trying to make OSX like Windows and learn how it does tasks.

Its always a learning curve and OSX has both advantages and disadvantages, as does Windows.

Welcome aboard and start using the computer and pretty soon things will make more sense

Last edited by a moderator:

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Greetings MacRumors...
With Windows, it would give me the option to replace or skip the existing files, or rename the newly moved files with " (2)" added to the file name, (before the .extension).
Most importantly, there is a tick box option there to apply this answer to all files you are moving. Very important when you are moving a large amount of files which take your destination device almost up to full capacity.
Hi and welcome to MacRumors.

When I drag files with the same name to another destination, I get a dialogue box with the option to keep both, and a check box that says apply to all. The word “copy” is appended to the new files. For greater control, create a Rename Items Service using Automator.

Attachments

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
OS X Keyboard Shortcuts. These can really be your friend if you learn them.

One of them, Command + Q, will shut down a program you are currently in for you. A quick answer to one of your questions. This way you do not have to try and hit the little red dot.

Hope this helps.

rankinmikee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2014
Welcome aboard and start using the computer and pretty soon things will make more sense
Thanks for the welcome and the tips... I'm a pretty impatient guy... or I've become one since Windows 95, when I first used computers full stop....
I was tempted to ditch this magic mouse for a regular, lighter USB mouse but resisted for the reason you mention. I want, ultimately, to get to grips with both interfaces but I'm not as young as I was! Many braincells have since dearly departed my cerebral cortex!! LOL! Thanks.. :)

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston

When I drag files with the same name to another destination, I get a dialogue box with the option to keep both, and a check box that says apply to all. The word “copy” is appended to the new files. For greater control, create a Rename Items Service using Automator.
I don't get that dialog box but rather this one.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Okay. I’m still on Mountain Lion for various reasons. I kind of assumed, that Apple wouldn't remove functionality. Guess I’m wrong :eek:
I've seen it before, but I can't tell from what, I tried seeing that dialog box when I moved/copied files to the same drive and then to a different drive - no go :(

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Greetings MacRumors...

When extracting a RAR or ZIP folder's contents using UnRarX, where on Earth are the files extracting to? LOL! It gets to 100% and I'm not greeted with an open folder of extracted files, it just pretends I never asked anything of it.
OSX will automatically unzip a zip file to the same location as the original. You’ll see a folder with the same name as the zip file next to it. I can't remember how, but there's a way to set things up so that the zip file is automatically deleted, but it's often handy to have the original file and around just in case.

For un-archiving just about anything else, I would recommend (free) The Unarchiver:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/the-unarchiver/id425424353?mt=12

rankinmikee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2014

Thanks, I shall look into that now! File management is a fundamental need I need to get the hang of before I can work with my media to create new content for online so if I can't even do that then this investment is kinda wasted but, alas, I'm determined to master this thing! Haha! :)

rankinmikee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2014
OS X Keyboard Shortcuts. These can really be your friend if you learn them.

One of them, Command + Q, will shut down a program you are currently in for you. A quick answer to one of your questions. This way you do not have to try and hit the little red dot.

Hope this helps.
Haaahaha! I've tried and failed to get a happy medium on mouse sensitivity but it's still giving my precision skills some exercise, trust me. :) I should definately try to memorise some shortcuts. Thanks.

----------

I don't get that dialog box but rather this one.

Exactly!!! Glad it ain't just me!! Head+desk!

satcomer

macrumors 603
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Thanks, I shall look into that now! File management is a fundamental need I need to get the hang of before I can work with my media to create new content for online so if I can't even do that then this investment is kinda wasted but, alas, I'm determined to master this thing! Haha! :)
You sound as if you need to read the easy fun book that good for referencing OS X Mavericks: The Missing Manual. After getting through this book most things you wonder about OSX will be answered.

rankinmikee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2014
Another quick tip for maximizing and minimizing a window. Since you are using a magic mouse, you can go to the top of a window with your pointer and with a single finger swipe up or down, you can maximizing or minimizing a window. Only at the top of the window frame though.
Not happening for me... :confused:

----------

You sound as if you need to read the easy fun book that good for referencing OS X Mavericks: The Missing Manual. After getting through this book most things you wonder about OSX will be answered.
Thanks Sat, I'll have a blast of that now... :cool:

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Not happening for me... :confused:

----------

Thanks Sat, I'll have a blast of that now... :cool:

Not in the window itself, but right at the top off the frame. I have posted a shot to show you the area, inside the red line, which is where your pointer should be for the effect to work. Not sure why it would not work otherwise.

Just dawned on me, so updating. This will only maximizing and minimizing a window size. It will not minimize the window right off the screen. That will require hitting the amber button on the top left corner.

Attachments

Last edited:

BenTrovato

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
OP - enjoy the challenge of learning osX! That's the best part. It won't take long to master it, and in less than a year it may become as boring as Windows :)

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
I've seen it before, but I can't tell from what, I tried seeing that dialog box when I moved/copied files to the same drive and then to a different drive - no go :(
This really is a weird one, but I think I have the answer (kind of).

If you’re trying to move/copy more than 5 files, the first button in the dialogue box does indeed read “skip”. Hold down the alt/option key, and it changes to “keep both”.

Fewer than five files it reads “keep both”

Nobody said OS X was perfect ;)

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
For greater control, create a Rename Items Service using Automator.
I've been using a Mac for 8 years and have never got to grips with Automator nor ever got it to actually automate anything.

For someone so new to Mac, I'd advise they steer well clear of Automator.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
This may be useful:
Software I am using: OS X 10.9.1 - I believe this is known as Mavericks, despite not seeing this written anyway on this machine. I'm not psychic.
As the OS version can change during the life of the computer, you will not see any operating system name written on the machine. Look here for more details on OS X, including a history of the names of each version.

There are many things that OS X does well, even better than Windows. Finder, the OS X equivalent of Windows Explorer, is not one of those things. Dragging files into a folder with files of the same name will present you with an opportunity to skip copying those files, but it will not give you an opportunity to rename them in the process. I haven't tried it on Mavericks, but when performing such an operation on earlier versions, you are presented with an opportunity to answer for all files.
As already recommended, Carbon Copy Cloner is an excellent tool for completely cloning your drive and making a bootable backup.
Why is the exit button on the top left of a window only actually a minimise button? If I want to close ITunes, for example, why does it keep running after I've clicked to painfully tiny and hard to hit red X button and ITunes has disappeared from view? I then have to right click on the dock icon and right click on quit or force quit.
The red button in the top left of each window is not an exit button. It is a button to close the window. If the app is one that supports multiple windows, such as iTunes, Safari, and others, closing the window leaves the app running. If the app is a single window app, such as System Preferences, Photo Booth and others, closing the window also closes the app. To quit any app, you can press Command-Q in the app to quit.
How do you stop ITunes determining gapless playback information on all of your newly imported music, or at least postpone it until the machine is idle?
In iTunes 11 and later, there is no longer an option to disable determining gapless playback information. You can't postpone it until the machine is idle, as it will perform that operation when music is first discovered.
This is one of the design differences between OS X and Windows that you'll just have to get used to.
Why can't we enlarge or reduce the size of any open work space by left clicking once on the bar at the top of that window? Is there a way around this? [/QUOTE]
I'm not sure what you mean by this one.
I haven't tried UnRarX, but some extractors have an option in their preferences to determine where the extracted files will go. They may go to the same folder where the zip file was located. You can always perform a search to locate the files.
Why can I not play my own media via Airplay on AppleTV if my internet router is switched off? Let me guess, it needs to be connected to the ITunes store to determine my habits and interests in order to advertise at me later.
Does your Internet router also supply your Wi-Fi network? If so, the only way you can communicate with your Apple TV is via your Wi-Fi network.
Why does AppleTV struggle to stream me my own digital property if I'm using the internet at high bandwidth simultaneously?
Again, if your Wi-Fi network is being supplied by your router, then the high-bandwidth internet usage could be putting high bandwidth usage on your Wi-Fi network, which would interfere with your streaming on the same network.
What is the equivalent of Control+Alt+Delete - to bring up a live Task Manger to fully terminate running apps and processes which might be stuck?/
Launch Activity Monitor, which is located in your /Applications/Utilities folder. You can also terminate a non-responding app by pressing Option-Command-Esc to access the Force Quit menu.
What's the key to delete what you've typed after, rather than what you've typed before? Should be pretty obvious but no.
Fn-Delete

Last edited:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Yeah, Time Machine does backups that include versioning, which requires its own folder structure. If you just want a simple duplicate (i.e. no versioning), you can try SuperDuper, or play with the rsh terminal command.

To me, that's actually a cool feature.

If I'm doing something in an app that's going to take some time (like using Handbrake to convert a ton of videos to MP4, or doing a big file transfer in [Safari, App Store, a FTP client, a Bit Torrent client]), I very much like that I can close the window, have the app still keep on running, and get progress updates via the dynamic dock icons. No extra windows on my screen, and no clutter from "minimized" windows down in my dock.

Or simply to leave the mail app running, so I can get the "New Message" indicator on the dock, or leave Activity Monitor app open, so I can track my CPU history.

If I really want to totally quit a program, I hit COMMAND-Q. To me, that's quicker than having to do either of the methods you're talking about. Q for Quit.

If I want the program to run in the background, but I don't want to see the window, I hit COMMAND-W. W for Window.

What is the equivalent of Control+Alt+Delete - to bring up a live Task Manger to fully terminate running apps and processes which might be stuck?
COMMAND-OPTION-ESCAPE for Force Quit...

And if you forget any of these keyboard shortcuts, just click on the menus -- you'll see that next to the command that you can click on, it almost always shows you the keyboard shortcut. Force Quit... is on the menu under the Apple icon in the top left.

fn-Delete

rankinmikee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2014
Why can I not simultaneously reformat ("erase") two external hard drives at once? I'm currently reformatting a drive to Mac OS Extended Journaled for a second time but giving it a longer erase since last time I reformatted it, it didn't work properly and lost me a few GB of irreplaceable data which I had put on it, expecting it to be stable - since this is "the mighty IMac". Hopefully this deep clean will fully reformat it so I can lay the recovered data currently sat in a folder on the desktop onto it without it deciding it's not formatted properly again. This is going to take a few hours. Why can I not open a second instance of Disk Utility and do the same to my slave drive? Do I really have to babysit this all powerful machine? What a rip off.

----------

Why can I not do a bunch of administrative tasks with one hand? Why must I remember key combinations in order to get easy work done which should be a case of simply using right click options from a simple menu?

Why are all the options for each app I have open in the far top left rather than on the window itself? I thought Apple were supposed to be intuitive? Why create extra distance? Very unnecessary.

----------

Okay. I’m still on Mountain Lion for various reasons. I kind of assumed, that Apple wouldn't remove functionality. Guess I’m wrong :eek:
Well these are our colonies in North America, a few generations down the line. Their intelligence has degraded somewhat, over the years, as you'll have noticed. :apple:

rankinmikee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2014
Why must I use Handbrake (which OSX was reluctant to even let me install, since it came from outside) to convert pretty much all of my videos to a lossy MP4 format? Why can Apple not simply get us some codecs to handle MKV, AVI, FLV and MOV etc through ITunes and AppleTV? Is it because this is an inferior operating system? Certainly seems this way. I knew I was being conned. I should have gone with my brain rather than my heart. LOL! Apple will not be getting my endorsement. I shall bad mouth them to everybody looking to downgrade from Microsoft to this terrible brand.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
As for the rest of your questions, these OSs are different, and all have their different annoyances, and as for your disk, I doubt that a "extra deep clean" (whatever that is, are you just overwriting it with zeros) is going to make any difference, sounds like you have a bad disk.

And as for OSX being reluctant to let you install something from an untrusted source, that's called making it harder to get malware on your OS, a route that windows has now gone down and will no doubt do more of in future.

But, it certainly seems that you are unwilling to learn anything new or tolerate differences, so you should probably sell this machine, and youll note it keeps its value much better than a PC, and go back to Windows where you are comfortable.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
But, it certainly seems that you are unwilling to learn anything new or tolerate differences, so you should probably sell this machine, and youll note it keeps its value much better than a PC, and go back to Windows where you are comfortable.
That seems to be an appropriate suggestion, as the attitude displayed appears to be that the OP has decided in advance to dislike everything about OS X, rather than having a sincere interest in learning how to get the most from it. There appears to be no patience or willingness to learn new things. If that's the case, it's probably more productive to stick with something already familiar. Even though millions successfully learn how to use OS X and iOS, they're not for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.