I'm an iPhone Virgin. Can someone help?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tyelcadhel, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Tyelcadhel macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Allow me introduce you to my current phone, going on 3 years strong, the LG Cosmos:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c7/LG_Cosmos.jpg

I have never owned a smartphone before. Just the mere fact of getting one will be a HUGE upgrade. Consider that it will be the new iPhone 5 and I'm going from a Honda Fit to a Rolls Royce. I have a couple concerns that I was hoping some experienced members of the community would be able to answer for me.

I'm still currently on my Dad's family plan contract with my current phone. When I upgrade to the iPhone, I will be getting my own phone plan. I know it will be crazy busy on the internet when the iPhone is announced and the gates are opened for people to place their orders. What tips or tricks would you suggest to help me be 1 step ahead of everyone else when this time comes? Could someone please briefly describe the process and steps of what it's like when you can place an order online and any possible shortcuts where I could get an early order?

Also, I will likely be signing up with Verizon (current phone carrier). I want the same phone number I've always had. Will I need my Dad to be present to allow my phone number to be release, or will I have to get a new phone number completely?

I understand these may sound like simple, basic questions - but like the :apple:-virgin I am, I'm excited and nervous (and a little wet) about getting the new iPhone.

Cheers!

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Hah. That's the phone I'm sporting as well. Comparing it to a Fit isn't doing the Fit any favors. :p

----------

Uhgg...I was going to post some advice, but now I'm too disgusted b/c i finished reading your post. I have to go vomit now. Adios.

3. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

5. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I think you'll need this to mark your spot to be first in line:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. nostresshere macrumors 68030

OP mentioned probably Verizon.

As to the original poster - review the price for your own plan, vs getting a standalone. Might be surprised.

Yes, Dad has to RELEASE that number. It might be easier to release it to a new account NOW vs waiting. Assuming it makes sense. You could also move it later. I would not try to combine buying a new phone and moving to a new account all at once.

7. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Well one thing for sure, you're going to finally get a SIM card that will do something on Verizon., as it'll have 4G LTE.

Other than that, its a phone, that can do more than your current one ;)

8. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

Either camp outside the store or stay up the night of the pre-orders and keep refreshing the apple webpage. During the 4S launch, took me about an hour to get in.

Yep. You will need you dad to release that number, but why not just stay on the family plan? You'll using the same carrier anyway. You can just pay your dad for your share of the bill. It's cheaper.

9. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

If you are going to get the iPhone at a Verizon store and you are sure you want an iPhone, then make sure you tell them that. Otherwise, they might sell you a Droid phone. I've heard too many stories of that happening.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Ask Verizon, not us. Carrier related inquiries it is always best to ask the Carrier itself, not random people on the internet who don't know about it.

11. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

Is Verizon pro-android phone? Why would they make you buy a Droid if you want an iPhone?

12. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

Android was a big seller for Verizon, especially before they got the iPhone. And I believe they still are a big seller. AT&T has supposedly been doing the same thing by telling their sales reps to direct people towards android devices.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Product margins are why AT&T and Verizon might want to sell Androids... that or Google incentives. However, Verizon has historically always favored Androids (because that's how they defended themselves against the iPhone) and AT&T always touted the iPhone.

14. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I agree with this. To me it seems pointless to leave your dad's family plan when you're going to be with the same carrier. Unless you have some specific reason for doing so, I would also say to stay on his plan and pay him your portion of the bill.

15. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

Its based on an article I read a while back. I included a link below. I've seen The same type of thing from other users on this forum, so I just wanted to get the word out there. I am by all means not not anti android. In fact, I'm typing this message on a Galaxy Note, I just wanted to make sure you get what you are looking for and not get pushed into something.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/05/03/technology/verizon-iphone-sales/index.htm

16. ARSC macrumors 6502

17. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

So you're anti-android? :D:D

Sorry, can't help it.

18. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

You'll need plenty of patience on the release date mixed with a little luck.

Get a bundle with a minimum of 1gb of Data.

19. MarcuMcall macrumors newbie

20. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

Nice catch! I think it's easier to say that I'm pretty much pro everything, except BB and Symbian. All have their pros and Co s. Its all about finding the best fit for the particular user.

21. Tyelcadhel thread starter macrumors newbie

I've already asked about doing this. I just turned 25 and graduated college. I will be moving out soon. My Dad told me he's not in favor of adding data to his plan. Right now he has 4 phones on his plan, and none of them have data. He only pays about $125/mo for that and already thinks it's too much.

Thanks for all the help and advise though guys!

P.S. - I did read somewhere recently that on release day, it was quicker for some people to use the app on their phone instead of using the apple website. The traffic wasn't as bad.