I'm Bidding On A Faulty Mac SE. Anybody Know The Fault.

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by zanbay, Dec 1, 2013.

1. zanbay macrumors newbie

Hello Im Currently Bidding On A Faulty Macintosh SE On Ebay. I Was Wondering If Anyone Knows The Fault And If It Can Be Fixed.

The Seller Says - "it fires up, beeps loudly and then makes gurgling noises before showing the screen with a disc and a question mark" There Is Also A Picture

[​IMG]

Any Help Will Be Appreciated

2. tdiaz macrumors 6502

Screen looks good. Has a good chance of being one a 1MB system, unless someone actually installed 4MB and did the screen adjustment.

"gurgling".. probably a dead Miniscribe 20MB. (Internal SCSI)

3. zanbay, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

zanbay thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Thanks For Reply. Is Their Any Way To Fix The Problem Or Get A Replacement. I Am A Complete Tech Novice :)

Thanks

4. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Yes

But you need a long torn scredriver to open the case to get to it, then you need someone to make you system software so you can load the new scsi 50 pin hard drive replacement with system software.

5. zanbay thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks Very Much Im Really Hoping To Win The Auction To Restore The Little Mac :)

----------

What Would Be The Max MB/GB Of The Hard Drive That I Could Put In It?

6. PaulHigg macrumors member

Hello, I just restored two SE's. I can show you how to replace parts, where to get parts, and upgrade it. I turned a Mac SE 1 MB into a 4 MB and from two 800K drives into an 80 MB internal and a HD 1.44 floppy. It is easy and not expensive. You can even de-yellow the parts of any Mac or printer, keyboard, or mouse as I did using hydrogen peroxide and UV light. You just have to be careful after opening the case to discharge the anode on the tube, high voltage but once you have done it once it's very easy. They come apart rather easily but some parts can be fragile. There's a few things you need to be concerned about, old capacitors that may leak and old batteries that leak. Depending on what logic board and power supply board you may not even have to replace any of that. It's a fun hobby once you have the information.
    PM me and I will help as I was helped by others.

Good luck and best regards, Paul

7. zanbay thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks For Your Help. Sadly I Did Not Win The Auction.

8. PaulHigg macrumors member

There are always SE's for sale on Ebay. Try this cool link that helps, it has a great drop down feature and even has a picture of Woz. It's very fast too.

http://myoldmac.net

9. zanbay thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks For The Link. I Am Actually In The UK So I Can Not Buy The Ebay Listings Off myoldmac.net . Thanks Anyway

10. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

I know it sounds crazy but check craigslist. I bought an Apple IIc from a guy on there. I met him at his work place on a major highway near my house. No biggie. Works like a charm and cost me $50

11. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

I own a 512Ke myself. It works, but I'd love I know where you get your parts! :D

12. PaulHigg macrumors member

I get my parts from a guy in New Jersey named Herb Johnson. He has a website with about a zillion links in it. I read them all and they were very interesting. He takes all old Macs and parts them out, restores drives and other parts and has various parts coming and going all the time. You have to be very specific with this guy. He likes you to send pixtures sometimes and he will NOT take any phone calls. Now, having said that I have to tell you I have ordered many parts from him and they arrive packed perfectly and quickly.

His prices are very low. I did order an 800K floppy drive that was bad when I got it so he said to send it back and when I did he immediately sent me another one that works. I would highly recommended this guy. Here's his web site.

http://retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/m_parts.html

Good luck.

13. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Thanks man, this might save me a lot of searching some day! :)

14. PaulHigg macrumors member

You're welcome! Hope you get the parts you need.

I restored two Mac SE's, put 4 MB of RAM in each, replaced the floppy drives with 1.44's, replaced the controller chips so they recognize the 1.44's, replaced the internal HD's with 80 MB ones, and one of them was originally a two 800K SE so I added the plate that Herb sold me to make it a real SE/30 (80), de-yellowed the SE's, keyboards, mice, and an ImageWriter II.

Then I used Basilisk II on my old VAIO to transfer files to the SE's. Now I have all the original programs I used to use, Word 5.1, Comic Strip Factory, HyperCard 1.1 and 2.1, and all my old Infocom games. I love the nostalgia.

15. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Damn that's a lot of great work! I can't say I love my 512Ke for the nostalgia, as it was for sale 9 years before I was born, but there's something oddly beautiful about the first gen classic mac that makes it an excellent toy and a wonderful piece of art to keep on the shelf :)

I use a PM 8600/250 i picked up for €25 to write programs to 800k disks. It really fun even just finding the ancient software on a modern mac, sending it to my 90's mac over network, ten writing to the disk and boom! Sid Meir's Pirates loads up on the tiny 512Ke screen! :D

It's the geekiest thing in the world, but I love it :p

16. PaulHigg macrumors member

If you want to find ancient software try Macintosh Garden. They have tons of abandonware.

What is a PM 8600/250? Sounds like you also found a solution to the 800K floppy dilemma. I love the way they had to design the 800K drives. Even though it's difficult today to transfer files to it the way they designed it at the time under the the constraints of limite knowledge about technology still astonishes me.

Another thing that amazes me is the size of the programs back then. You could fit several programs on one 1.44 floppy. I think software was much cleaner and leaner back then. Look at System 6.0.8 which is what I use. It is the fastest because it's so close to the hardware being written in assembly language. I actually taught myself that once back in the 80's when I was living in the UK.

I don't think it's geeky, I think it's cool. You're right they look cool, my SE boots about a million times faster than my 27" iMac which I just bought. And even though the graphics aren't even 640 x 480 I still like it. I like everything about it. It always reminds me of much simpler times.