I'm British!

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I just went over to the British embassy here in Washington and affirmed my allegiance to the Queen this morning, and now I'm a British citizen. I got me a certificate and everything.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
miloblithe said:
I just went over to the British embassy here in Washington and affirmed my allegiance to the Queen this morning, and now I'm a British citizen. I got me a certificate and everything.
Um, so why is this a good thing? Were you British at one point or are you parents British but you weren't?

Sounds like fun, though.

Congrats!

D

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
PlaceofDis said:
is that all you have to do?!?
No no. My mother was born in England and has British citizenship, although she hasn't lived there since about 1948. Because she's British, I automatically recieve British citizenship if I bother to apply for it (and pay through the nose for it--in total $370 or so). I'm a dual citizen now. I didn't renounce my US citizenship or anything.

The motivation is that dual citizenship offers a number of opportunities, most importantly to work in England and anywhere in the EU. Another motivation was the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November , and the previous first Tuesday after the first Monday in November, and, I fear, upcoming Tuesdays in November. In the long run, I might prefer to be European (to the extent I could ever be, given that I will always be an American). I like being in Europe and I have a lot of relatives and friends there.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
ah okay, thats cool, and i totally understand your reasoning behind it as well. congrats!

roadapple

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2004
Lately I have been thinking about how valuable my US citizenship is. Is it measurable? Maybe 20 years of earnings? Guess it depends on what the alternative is.

While I have great respect for many nations (Canada/GB), and of course have many criticisms of my own, I could never fathom taking an oath to another nation.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Many congratulations! It may have taken over 200 years for you to realize the folly of your earlier decision, but better late than never. Don't waste your vote! :D

Have a cup of tea to celebrate!

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
wrc fan said:
You lucky bastard! Grrr! Why oh why is there only a one generational limit?

Anyway, if you want your children to have British citizenship make sure they're born in the UK.
At least the hospital will be free.....

Applespider

macrumors G4
miloblithe said:
Congrats... I don't recall ever affirming my allegiance to the Queen unless I did it while signing my passport applications.

Have a toasted crumpet with your tea!

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Jaffa Cake said:
So... will you get the chance to vote tomorrow? :D
I'm not exactly sure where my local polling station is...

No. I'm not registered to vote. I don't even know how that works. I don't have a passport yet either (It'll take about a month to process), just a certificate that says 'citizen'.

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
I'm a dual citizen. So I half like America. Half of me would die for this country.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
eBay..

I wonder if I could sell my citizenship on eBay... lol, jk. I think America is good enough for me. But seriouslly, weird things sell on ebay. :rolleyes:

Applespider

macrumors G4
virividox said:
iv been in the uk for almost 2 years...if theres one thing brits are good at its queing :D

so orderly...
Unless it's for a bus in Central London where it's a free for all... ;)

I'd say as a country we were better at whingeing*... :eek:

Interesting - OS X's spellchecker says I've spelt whingeing wrong but that's how the OS X Dictionary app wants me to do it