I'm buying a new camera. I hope you can give-me a help choosing.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by neonkru, Jan 17, 2010.

1. neonkru macrumors regular

Hi! I'm going to buy a new digital camera. I've been looking at the Canon Legria/Vixia HF200 (same as HF20 without flash memory). it's price is 475 euro = 682 usd. is there any better digital cameras for the same price compatible with mac? please same price or max 500€. 600€ won't work so if you know any better camera or a recent one better for the same price i appreciate. thank you

2. milligan macrumors member

I researched a great deal and ended up buying that camera today.

Its beautiful! But thats all I can tell you so far. Waiting for battery to charge.

3. neonkru thread starter macrumors regular

nice=) have you already tested it? =P

4. milligan macrumors member

Its been raining since I bought it. But it is sensational.
    It has a setting which is pretty much fully auto ..just point and shoot.
    Then can override everything too.
    Also works as regular camera.

All looks SHARP!

I have a mac book pro, I can plug the card straight from the camera into the computer, straight into imovie 09. straight to youtube!

I had also looked at sanyo xacti vpc hd2000a all reports were good but I never saw one in real life.

5. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

Beware of the cameras with lenses that fold out of the body when turned on and then pull back into the body when turned off. These suck a little air into the camera each time. Dust can come in with the air and then settle into the camera destroying the delicate mechanisms and dirtying the lenses. I would instead recommend a ruggedized sealed camera, ideally one that is at least wetproof if not waterproof to a meter or so. I learned this the hard way.

We have two Casio Exilim EX-V8 cameras in our family. They are inexpensive, take good pictures and have the sealed lenses. This camera offers fully automatic which my wife likes, shutter priority, aperture priority and fully manual which sometimes I like to have. It also has a 7x optical zoom which is wonderful. Do not be mislead by "digital zoom". Only consider the optical zoom when making a comparison of cameras.

I've also had Canon and Nikon high end cameras for decades. That's top quality but a higher price and you may not need that.

Two good web sites if you're looking for indepth reviews:

http://www.dpreview.com/

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Cheers

-Walter

6. neonkru thread starter macrumors regular

thank you for your advice. but i don't think the canon hf200 is that bad=P also theres 2 years of warranty for these problems. i need good quality because i work part time using it for some projects recording some events. i just need a new camera=P the hf200 seems good because it has plug for external microphone :p