Im Buying in the US is it ok to bring to the UK?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by paulcrooks, Dec 11, 2007.

1. paulcrooks macrumors newbie

Hi,

Im heading to new york on sunday. I really want to buy an iMac there but i was wondering if there would be any problems with a) customs and import tax - if there is such problems and b) if there will be any problems with power or voltage issues.

Any advice would be great on this matter as I am kinda new to this thing and will be a virging mac user when i get one.

Thanks in advance

Paul

2. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Yes, you will have to pay the UK tax upon reentry...it's not easy avoiding the tax on a desktop computer...it's not like a laptop that you can just say you took with you to the trip. If you still believe you will end up paying less overall even with the duties you'll have to pay in the end, then go ahead and bring it over, but if not then the hassle is not worth it.

As far as voltage/power...there won't be any problems.

3. whatcheernetop? macrumors newbie

I do believe you'll have to separately purchase the software bundle that misspells certain words, i.e. "theatre," "cheque," "alumimium" and so on if you intend to use it in the U.K.

4. spriter macrumors 65816

spriter

Yeah laptops are much easier, just move it from the box into a laptop bag and it's no problem. Flat-packing the box and mailing it back to yourself is good if you really want the packaging. I bought my SR MacBook from HK where the price is crazily favourable compared to UK. £630 vs £830. Spent the £200 'saving' on a certain phone :D

For an iMac, it's almost certain you'll have to declare it unless you can fit the thing inside a suitcase. I've no idea how big iMac boxes are but I'd guess you'll need a rather large suitcase then just wander through the 'Nothing to Declare' aisle and hope for the best (ie: you don't get the call).

With the pound being so strong against the dollar and it being Christmas, I think airport customs are aware of US visitors coming back with cases full of goodies.

Looking at the base iMac - £799 vs $1199 (~£600) you'll still save money even if you pay close to 20% (rough guess) tax/duty of £120 on the £600 purchase. You'll save less, but still a saving of around £75 on the 24" 2.4GHz model (based on paying roughly £175 tax/duty).

Again laptops are easily imported tax free. The base MBP of $1999 (~£1000) is instantly £300 less than the £1299 UK price. Base MB $1099 (~£549) vs UK £699 saving £150 or 2.2 model $1299 (~£650) vs £829 saving £180. Just lose the box and it's no problem.

5. hsadear macrumors member

hsadear

you will probably want to cover the imac in a seal (i suggest a balloon) and ingest it before departure. don't forget to steer clear of the computer-sniffing dogs when you go through customs.

6. paulcrooks thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Not worth the hassle, buy in the UK, yes it's more but it's so much more hassle to buy in the US and bring it back with you.

8. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Im with the 'not worth the hassle' camp...

its a pain, but just bite the bullet and pay the UK prices. But laptops you will be find with. So, choice is yours there

9. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

US pricing based on new york sales tax, VAT and the current exchange rate:

20" 2.0GHz: £751.51 (UK:£799)
    20" 2.4GHz: £939.55 (UK:£949)
    24" 2.4GHz: £1127.58 (UK:£1149)
    24" 2.8GHz: £1440.97 (UK:£1459)

Add in the issue of no global warranty on desktops (unless that has changed) and you can see it really isn't worth it.

10. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Reason #35968 why laptops are better than desktops. This wouldn't even be a question if you were carting back an MBP :^)

11. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I bought 10 ipod touches, 5 ipod Nanos, software, accessories and a MBP when I went to the USA in September/October this year. It was approximately half price including sales tax than in South Africa, and I paid nothing. Its easy to lie to customs:)

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

don't forget to add in NY state sales tax when you're comparing costs. The prices you've seen listed for the USA typically don't include the sales tax, unlike the UK where the VAT is usually shown as part of the price

13. je1ani macrumors 6502

While your there make a drive to New Hampshire. The no tax will offset any custom taxes you may run into