I'm calling it...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by darksithpro, May 7, 2018.

1. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Nothing is gonna happen to her, because she's a liberal and hates Trump. There's a guy by the name of Dinesh D'Souza, who actually got charged and convicted of this in 2014. He released a film criticizing Hillary and Obama in 2012, then he gets tagged a few years later.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/05/rosie-odonnells-campaign-donations-to-dems-went-over-legal-limit/

"Filings show O’Donnell gave a combined $5,400 in contributions over the limit to the five candidates, and used five different New York addresses and four variations of her name."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinesh_D'Souza

"In 2012, D'Souza released his film 2016: Obama's America, an anti-Obama polemic based on his 2010 book The Roots of Obama's Rage; the film is the second-highest-grossing political documentary film produced in the United States.

On May 20, 2014, D'Souza pleaded guilty in federal court to one charge of using a "straw donor" to make an illegal campaign contribution to a 2012 United States Senate campaign, a felony. On September 23, he was sentenced to eight months in a halfway house near his home in San Diego, five years probation, and a $30,000 fine."

Lets find out how partisan our legal system is. I actually hope she gets away with it, so we have proof of unfair treatment when it comes to liberals vs conservatives.

2. IWantItThatWay Suspended

3. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

For starters... Hillary Clintin still isn't in jail. So she will most definitely get away with it.

4. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

From the article:

“Donors are rarely fined for excess contributions and then only if they are hiding the donations from the recipients,” prominent D.C. campaign finance lawyer Jan Witold Baran said. “Campaigns generally are not penalized for isolated contributions over a limit. However, multiple excessive donations may lead to an investigation … Fines could result in such cases.”

This is a far cry from what D'Souza did. He conceived of a plot and had others engage in "hiding the donations" as the quote above mentioned.

I assist an elderly gentleman and he donates often to progressive groups and occasionally, candidates. He also uses Act Blue and I have stopped him in a couple instances where he was going to donate to a candidate that he already donated to for a particular run (the amounts he donates are far from the limit, but he wishes to make a single donation for primaries and then the general if the candidate moves on). Act Blue does a piss-poor job of tracking your donations and should assist in better record keeping. I know they want every penny that comes their way, but they may eventually get several people in trouble or at least investigated.

I seriously doubt O'Donnell will even be investigated. She'll either get a refund, or shift amounts to a different race/campaign. She should hire an assistant with some political savvy that can keep track of her donations. Approaching $100K in donations and making such boneheaded errors is inexcusable.

5. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Nah, just found a SuperPAC and all is good.......

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Is this some sort of equivocation with regards to the Trump shenanigans?

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Aren't full on FBI raids how we deal with campaign contribution violations now?

8. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Probably afraid of her. Last time I checked she was packing, or at least her security Guard was. LOL

I think the RNC should file a lawsuit.

9. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I’d sentence her to no Baby Ruths and Crisco for 1 year. Probably unconstitutionally cruel and inhumane.

10. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

You forgot flour. LOL

11. Krayzkat macrumors 6502a

Krayzkat

It's like a competition to see who's the least corrupt.

12. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

They’re all corrupt. Where just seeing how much more blatant they are about it now.

Trump may be a **** show, but he is exposing it for what it is. Sometimes a little chaos is a good thing.

Someday we’ll look back on the Trump Presidency and note that it actually helped.

13. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I’ll be making an order to buy Crisco and Pillsbury short!

14. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I’m all for getting big money out of politics, however when $5400 over the limit is worthy of legal penalties and outrage, that’s completely laughable when Super PACs, the hugemongus loop hole that allows oligarch billionaires to give an ****** slime ball millions to support their campaign is legal.

Then we have the Corporations are people standard, thank you Supreme Court, when Corporate entities can infuse campaigns with large amounts of money. In light of these things, a story like this is a joke, almost coming across as misdirection. (Not a personal criticism directed at the OP.)

Billionaire Adelson gives millions to Gingrich Super PAC
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli.../gIQAXI6rhP_story.html?utm_term=.3fb76e1a63d2

When Corporations Rule The World (thanks to the Supreme Court)
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/brendan-demelle/when-corporations-rule-th_b_433527.html

15. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

No they aren't. There's a lot more to Cohen/Trump than campaign contribution violations.

16. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

The ball of wax is much larger than campaign contributions, in fact the item (Storm Daniels) concerned with improper use of campaign funds has nothing (as far as I know) to do with a campaign contribution, but a campaign distribution of hush money just prior to an election.

17. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Costco size!

18. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I've never seen a group so hard-pressed to beat down a failed candidate who lost the presidential election. Who would've thought that after a year in office the only thing Trump supporters can hang onto is slamming someone who has absolutely no relevance to what's going on today. Even more importantly, it speaks to just how little Republicans have to really tout about. Hang tight folks, November's going to be a tough month for Republicans.

19. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Fingers crossed.

20. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I wonder if she's friends with Martha Stewart?

21. edk99 macrumors 6502a

22. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

23. hulugu, May 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2018

hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It's important to understand what D'Souza did.

As the NY Times noted:

That's a crime. He was trying to circumvent campaign laws to help his friend using an illegal arrangement.

Now, the one central question is whether the FEC views overpayment as a violation.

From WJLA:

That latter part may be an issue. If she was intentionally hiding her contributions rather than some error with either ActBlue or the FEC filings—these are often wrong—then, she may have committed a crime.

It's clear that O'Donnell needs someone to help her with campaign donations. She's over the limit on individual contributions, but she could give $33,900 to the DNC, $10,000 to the state Democrats, $5,000 to democratic PACs, and $101,700 to the DNC's presidential fund.

Or, she could just say screw it and donate huge amounts to a SuperPAC.

24. Krayzkat macrumors 6502a

Krayzkat

lol Trump is corrupt as Hillary every was. Probably even more.

25. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Your theory makes no sense. Last I checked trump is president and controls the justice department not liberals. And your insinuation that Obama had something to do with D’Souza’s charges is ridiculous.