I'm coming out: I'm a straight man who doesn't like sports

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Jul 25, 2015.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

There.

I've said it. Admittedly, its in a fairly liberal-leaning , mostly anonymous internet forum, ostensibly centered around Apple products. But its a start.

I don't think any less of my many friends whose lives seem centered on the trials and tribulations of overpaid athletes, or the seemingly eternal sports calendar. But, personally, I just don't care.

If I think of ways to spend a pleasant Sunday afternoon, sitting on a couch watching multimillionaires throw, bat, and kick balls around seems like a poor second to the infinite other choices available to me. Rereading Proust. Cleaning out my refrigerator. Exploring Captain Beefheart's later works.

I don't mind participating in sporting activities. I'm an enthusiastic cyclist. A passable golfer. Its just that I'm more of a doer than a watcher. I'd rather hack my way through a round on the crappiest nine hole course in the world, in the rain, rather than watch Rory McIlroy and Jordan Spieth in a sudden-death playoff at Augusta.

And don't get me started on sports ugly brand extensions: Televised poker; fantasy sports leagues, and the annual purgatory that is March Madness.

If you live your life around sports, if your first action on walking in the door is to turn on SportsCenter or Match of the day: Good for you. I don't mind.

But please understand: there are (I think) quite a few of us who just don't care.

2. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

amen brother.

sports hater myself too. can't see the point on that crap, especially the 'mainstream' :p

sports are to be practiced, not watched.

cheers

3. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Agreed. Although I will admit that I enjoyed watching pro basketball this year, with the return, finally, of fast, graceful pre-"Bad Boys" basketball style that reminded me of watching the great fast-break teams of my youth. The major downside was having to watch some of it on ESPN. The ESPN narrative is so incredibly boring and repetitive; its obsession with, as you say, the trials and tribulations of overpaid celebrity athlete personalities, and with the inevitable comparisons to the always-awaited NFL season. But, that's what the mute button is for: ESPN. The basketball games themselves were much more enjoyable to watch this year.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

5. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

I recently stopped caring about football. I just started thinking how silly it is to get so emotionally invested in something so pointless. Losing a big game would actually affect my life for weeks. So stupid.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Take my hand, hoss. We'll march as one. DON'T CARE PRIDE!

I feel about the same way as you across the board. I love playing them, but watching them is about the most boring thing in the world. I couldn't care less if I tried.

It's like I love to drive. Love driving fast even more. I love getting in a jeep and going mud bogging. Love going 4-wheeling. Would love to get enough money to rally race.

...but I hate NASCAR. Hate it with a passion. It's the most boring thing in the world to watch, and I have no idea how people manage to subject themselves to for three hours straight, and claim to enjoy every minute of it.

I feel the same way about football. Love playing it. Knocking people over and drawing blood is fun. But watching someone else do it? I don't care. Never have.

I just don't care about sports.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm exactly the same, couldn't care less about pro sports. Yea I'll watch some football but I don't care who the teams are at all.

I just started at ESPN, so it's definitely interesting being so disinterested in what my employer does lol.

9. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Outstanding. :) Yeah, I'm not really invested in something I'm not participating in - my BIL with his insane love of football uses "we", no it's them, not you :D

Anyway, I'm the same, into board sports (surfing, SUP, wake), I run, cycle (mostly mountain/offroad), attend track events (car). Funny enough, all the people I've known (including the aforementioned BIL) who are hardcore into sports are they themselves, not athletic/skilled in any way - the big football fans and I go out to toss the ball at Thanksgiving, hahaha, I run circles around them :D

10. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I'm so in. Why pay to watch someone else having fun, when you could be doing it yourself?

The only exceptions are big, once-a-year, events where:
    1) The stakes are high, sides are taken, and it's all good-natured fun.
    2) It's more social than anything else.

11. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

That has a distinct value to your employer - provided, of course, not every employee is like you.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I just got back from playing 18 holes myself.

While I'd rather play than watch, I do enjoy watching it on TV as well.

And I can't wait for football.

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

My only exception to this would be skateboarding accidents. They're fun to watch, but I don't think it's something I'd want to do myself.

14. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Wuss.

(but note the upvote ;))

15. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

I work on the LPGA tour and do somewhat follow the tournaments I'm at as most of my work is done before and after the tournament itself. During play I don't have much to do so in-between napping(seriously) and surfing the net I watch some play. There are a few players I keep an eye on, mostly because I've met them in person or like their overall attitude during play. I'll watch play on the afternoon of the last day of the tournament if the scores are close. Outside of that, I don't really follow the sport.

I don't really follow any other sports either, and haven't in years. I'll watch sports if it happens to be on where I am it and get some entertainment from it, with two exceptions: NASCAR and basketball.

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

When it comes to racking myself, and grinding my face off on pavement, I'm pretty happy sitting on the sidelines, kthx.

You better upvote me. :mad:

17. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I agree. If you're on the course, the buzz from the crowd is just incredible.

On TV, not so much.

18. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Didn't know this was a thing, but I'm in. Only sports on TV here is Olympics. Couple days every 2 years or so.

19. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I like the xgames, I watch most of the spring classics, but that's about it. I play intramural basketball in the winter, same with softball in the summer and after that I'm team sported out.

20. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I don't watch sports either, just don't care for it. Go to a live event time to time if I have free tickets. No way I'm watching any sports on TV and my TV is pretty big.

21. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I love playing sports, well, certain sports. I'm not a big fan of watching sports, especially on TV. I am completely incapable of listening to sports on TV. I'd rather be involved with the sport than watching it.

I don't think it's too abnormal to be a straight male who isn't obsessed with professional sports.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'd keep my eyes on Sandra Gal.

Here she is getting ready to tee off ...

[​IMG]

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I'm a lesbian(or whatever the customer wants me to be ) and don't care about sports. I will watch main events but other than that I don't care if the lakers are playing the ducks

24. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Not really a shocker. Most of the liberals here seem like stiffs who have no interests other than talking politics. That wild life.

25. chown33 macrumors 604

Some ideas for slogans:

I don't care and I don't care who knows it.

Embrace the indifference.

Feel the meh.